• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Legalized Pedophilia

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Better than being a single mom.
No it isn't. Either the girl was raped in which case they definitely shouldn't be marrying their attacker or the girl made a colossal mistake by rushing into something too early not fully comprehending the consequence and setting them up in a position to fail. Adding another colossal mistake by rushing into a contract they can't comprehend and a commitment they're not ready for is ALSO setting them up in a position to fail, except now with far reaching financial and legal consequence while dealing with a child.
I'd rather see a child parent in need inside of offices meant to deal with aiding young mothers than inside a church.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I read that originally this was made possible in the case when a young girl got pregnant so she could marry. It would be terrible if a pregnant 12 year old girl was prohibited by law to get married.
In the 19th century she would have been ostracized for being pregnant that young. So making an exception to the legal age limit may indeed have been a mercy.

DavidFirth

No it isn't. Either the girl was raped in which case they definitely shouldn't be marrying their attacker or the girl made a colossal mistake by rushing into something too early not fully comprehending the consequence and setting them up in a position to fail. Adding another colossal mistake by rushing into a contract they can't comprehend and a commitment they're not ready for is ALSO setting them up in a position to fail, except now with far reaching financial and legal consequence while dealing with a child.
I'd rather see a child parent in need inside of offices meant to deal with aiding young mothers than inside a church.

Those laws weren't made in the 21st century so obviously I wasn't talking about present day. And I wasn't talking about a girl who got raped, either.

A church would be a great place for her. Much better than a gathering of Irreligious Agnostic Atheistic Apatheists.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Those laws weren't made in the 21st century so obviously I wasn't talking about present day. And I wasn't talking about a girl who got raped, either.

A church would be a great place for her. Much better than a gathering of Irreligious Agnostic Atheistic Apatheists.
It applies to more than just present day, though moreso in present day. Child marriages are bad. I said why.

And by 'in the church' I meant getting married. But yeah, I'd probably do better by a young parent than an establishment with a history of shaming and forcing decisions in such a way. Christianity has a ****ty history when it comes to child marriage and dealing with young mothers who had sex out of wedlock.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I have often read that the legalization of same-sex marriage would open a pandora's box; such as, legalizing pedophilia.

But isn't pedophilia already legal in some states by the allowing of children to marry older adults of the opposite sex?

case in point:

Perspective | Why can 12-year-olds still get married in the United States?
Pedophilia has nothing to do with marriage. It's a mental condition that defies legalization, just like agoraphobia or the preference for the color orange can't be rationally legalized.

"Pedophilia is termed pedophilic disorder in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), and the manual defines it as a paraphilia involving intense and recurrent sexual urges towards and fantasies about prepubescent children that have either been acted upon or which cause the person with the attraction distress or interpersonal difficulty.

Pedophilia or paedophilia is a psychiatric disorder in which an adult or older adolescent experiences a primary or exclusive sexual attraction to prepubescent children.* Although girls typically begin the process of puberty at age 10 or 11, and boys at age 11 or 12, criteria for pedophilia extend the cut-off point for prepubescence to age 13. A person who is diagnosed with pedophilia must be at least 16 years old, and at least five years older than the prepubescent child, for the attraction to be diagnosed as pedophilia."
source: Wikipedia​

*Prepubescent (and sometimes child) is a term for boys and girls who have not developed secondary sex characteristics.
Source: Wikipedia

Now, if the question is, should we no longer consider pedophilic sexual acts illegal? My opinion is, no we shouldn't. Or should marriage between a prepubescent child and someone over 16 and and at least five years older than the child be legal? My opinion is, no it shouldn't.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If you can't figure it out, never mind.
A 12-year-old is too young to consent to sex, so a pregnant 12-year-old has been raped.

It sure sounds like you're suggesting that 12-year-old rape victims ought to be married off to their rapists without their consent (again: she's 12).

The only other way I can take it is if you're assuming that a pregnant 12-year-old will be rejected by her family, so marriage is her only alternative to being out on the street with a baby.

Did you mean something else by what you said? I sure hope so.

The Holy Bottom Burp

I have often read that the legalization of same-sex marriage would open a pandora's box; such as, legalizing pedophilia.
Yep, I bet you've only "often read" claptrap like that in religious literature; a hysterical fallacious claim like that could only have its roots in religion.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
And when that happens, the child is raped.

Why are you having trouble understanding this?

personally, i believe its because most people condoning legalized marriage of children don't understand the idea of informed consent and how a child can't give such consent because of limited understanding.

The Holy Bottom Burp

Neither of those links suggest there is anything in your claim "I have often read that the legalization of same-sex marriage would open a pandora's box; such as, legalizing pedophilia."
They are talking about people exploiting loopholes in state laws that do not specify a legal minimum age for marriage, so men marry women younger than 18. It has nothing to do with the legalization of same sex marriage so don't pretend that secular sources back your claim mate, I'm not daft.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

But isn't pedophilia already legal in some states by the allowing of children to marry older adults of the opposite sex?

case in point:

Pedeophilia is an adult having sexual attractions to children. Same-sex marriage does not relate to pedeophilia as in people who are not pedeophiles can marry children if legal. And many who are pedeophiles have no desire to marry children.

As for marriage laws, in some countries it's legal for underage marriage (pedophile or not). In the US, it's not. Different states have different age limits probably by one year or two no less. Also, in the US there are very strict laws and privileges we can't have if we are convicted of pedeophilia. For example, I live in a government financed home owned by the Catholic Church. No convicted pedophile can live here with no regards when he was arrested and what he has done to live a law abiding life.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

case in point:

Pedophilia is a recently "known" phenomenon. Meaning traditionally speaking a girl was a woman when she started having monthly visits.
Our childhood extending to 18 is relatively new as is the knowledge that pedophilic activities cause harm.
If anything, these loopholes are merely leftovers from an archaic time. I wouldn't be surprised if my own country had these loopholes.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Pedeophilia is an adult having sexual attractions to children. Same-sex marriage does not relate to pedeophilia as in people who are not pedeophiles can marry children if legal. And many who are pedeophiles have no desire to marry children.

As for marriage laws, in some countries it's legal for underage marriage (pedophile or not). In the US, it's not. Different states have different age limits probably by one year or two no less. Also, in the US there are very strict laws and privileges we can't have if we are convicted of pedeophilia. For example, I live in a government financed home owned by the Catholic Church. No convicted pedophile can live here with no regards when he was arrested and what he has done to live a law abiding life.

its considered pedophilia when the age difference is more than 5 yrs. so a 15 yr old can have pedophilia being attracted to children 5 yrs younger than themselves.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Neither of those links suggest there is anything in your claim "I have often read that the legalization of same-sex marriage would open a pandora's box; such as, legalizing pedophilia."
They are talking about people exploiting loopholes in state laws that do not specify a legal minimum age for marriage, so men marry women younger than 18. It has nothing to do with the legalization of same sex marriage so don't pretend that secular sources back your claim mate, I'm not daft.

i know it doesn't but there are many who use the scare tactic to suppress same sex unions and yet don't see the behavior in their own ranks. it's called hypocrisy.

gynaphiles and androphiles that are attracted to children are so because the children are generally feminine in appearance and actions. The pedophile can control and manipulate them. they aren't generally attracted to an adult phenotype and behavior.

Last edited: