• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Legality of Martial Arts and self-defence courses

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Luckily my own country is pretty good when it comes to even unusual cases of self defense or defense of others with martial arts. I remember a story of that time a katana-wielding Mormon bishop chased away a stalker, so martial arts in defense of self or community is generally A-OK where I live.
:D I remember that, too!

It's been a while since I read the story, but I believe the incident with the katana-wielding Mormon bishop was an incident where the sword was in his home. Upon seeing his neighbor being harassed he grabbed it off his mantle and charged out of his doorway.
You remembered correctly.

Rational Agnostic

Do you believe Martial Arts and self-defence courses should be legal? As we know, much of these have been banned at various times in history by state similarly to weapon bans.

Capoeira developed from slaves practicing martial arts hidden in a dance. Many have heard of Putin practicing Judo in secret, since it was banned in USSR. In the 80s-90s there were religious voices for banning martial arts as something that connects you to the devil.

Good grief. Martial arts courses teach self-defense, and self-defense is very important for everyone to know.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Do you believe Martial Arts and self-defence courses should be legal? As we know, much of these have been banned at various times in history by state similarly to weapon bans.

Capoeira developed from slaves practicing martial arts hidden in a dance. Many have heard of Putin practicing Judo in secret, since it was banned in USSR. In the 80s-90s there were religious voices for banning martial arts as something that connects you to the devil.
black belt here!!!!!!!

It should not be banned

my Inspiration was one hell of a Stomper!

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Legal of course, I see no reason why it shouldn't be.
Self-defence courses are even organized by public schools here.

Similar situation here (Germany). And it's not even about being trained or anything (although this might make this law even more likely to be applied). If you defend yourself e.g. against a burglar and use more violence than would be necessary for self-defence you can be accused of assault.
Makes me even more glad that I've never been in any situation were I had to defend myself so far.
same here in the States....though most people don't seem to know it

having been before a judge.....
he wanted to know who swung first

my practice of the art was mentioned.....but carried no weight

the other guy swung first.......lost twice

Jumi

It's not completely the same in the US. Here in my European country you could let the other guy punch you for a minute or two and hit back and it would make no difference. You could still have to pay a compensation for the attacker, a fine or a sentence.[edited so as not to confuse me for being american]

Last edited:

Jumi

Good grief. Martial arts courses teach self-defense, and self-defense is very important for everyone to know.
I agree that they are useful to know for most people, but martial arts weren't originally meant for self-defense only and they have been seen as a threat to the public or governments at times.

Liu

It's not completely the same in the US. Here you could let the other guy punch you for a minute or two and hit back and it would make no difference. You could still have to pay a compensation for the attacker, a fine or a sentence.
Strange, that doesn't fit the reputation of US-law at all. Aren't you that country were some guy shot to death some young dude who happened to walk on his front lawn and got away with it?

Jumi

Strange, that doesn't fit the reputation of US-law at all. Aren't you that country were some guy shot to death some young dude who happened to walk on his front lawn and got away with it?
Ah, realized that my message could be read as being American. I was trying to compare Finlan, where I live, with America in that post.

Liu

Ah, realized that my message could be read as being American. I was trying to compare Finlan, where I live, with America in that post.
Ah I see, thanks for clarifying. Nevertheless still wondering about @Thief's description about US-law, though.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
that doesn't sound like martial art

Thief

Rogue Theologian
What style? Shotokan nidan and ****o-ryu shodan here.
I took the belt in kata form kung fu

but sensei was an aiki ju jutsu master

so.....
I got plenty of that Chinese stuff
and the Japanese brutality firmed everything else

no trophies....none desired
no tournaments.....would be disqualified
no high ranking belts.....except for sensei

BUT......the school was at one time part of a martial art franchise (so to speak)
a tenth degree founded the school and system

a break in the economic scheme left my instructor on his own

Thief

Rogue Theologian
has anyone checked the penal code of their state (territory)
you might be surprised

The truth is the vast majority of traditional martial arts are a scam, sold in much the same way religion is sold. Very few of them make you any more dangerous or able to defend yourself than an untrained person.

With that said though the only endgame to banning them(as a whole, including the ones that work) is the same as banning guns or other weapons; to declaw the population and make them easier to dominate and control by the state, ie "progressive" paradise.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The truth is the vast majority of traditional martial arts are a scam, sold in much the same way religion is sold. Very few of them make you any more dangerous or able to defend yourself than an untrained person.

With that said though the only endgame to banning them(as a whole, including the ones that work) is the same as banning guns or other weapons; to declaw the population and make them easier to dominate and control by the state, ie "progressive" paradise.
they banned the arts in Russia when I was sooooooo much younger

now.....the Russian mafia are the ones with the art

AND maybe you've seen some you tube about Russian fist fighting
it happens in the street
road rage has a new level there

they banned the arts in Russia when I was sooooooo much younger

now.....the Russian mafia are the ones with the art

AND maybe you've seen some you tube about Russian fist fighting
it happens in the street
road rage has a new level there
Yes, Russian culture is a particular animal..

By "the art" do you mean judo? They have a sport called SAMBO, which is basically judo with striking, that is quite popular there. This is definitely one of the effective ones.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Yes, Russian culture is a particular animal..

By "the art" do you mean judo? They have a sport called SAMBO, which is basically judo with striking, that is quite popular there. This is definitely one of the effective ones.
my instructor (similar to his instructor) had no reservation
if it hurts the other guy REALLY BAD
and it's easy to apply.....

THAT is the art

it was self defense......

no point system.....tag you're it

for safety.....
we teach beginners .....block, strike, kick
then add a throw
then add the grappling for the lock down

this is the stuff of discretion
if you do this.....you go home
the other guy goes to the hospital
he will need a surgeon to put it back

and you wait at home for the cops
you will be cuffed
the judge will want to know......why did you do that?

and you had better have a damn good reason and your story right as rain!!!!!!

my instructor (similar to his instructor) had no reservation
if it hurts the other guy REALLY BAD
and it's easy to apply.....

THAT is the art

it was self defense......

no point system.....tag you're it

for safety.....
we teach beginners .....block, strike, kick
then add a throw
then add the grappling for the lock down

this is the stuff of discretion
if you do this.....you go home
the other guy goes to the hospital
he will need a surgeon to put it back

and you wait at home for the cops
you will be cuffed
the judge will want to know......why did you do that?

and you had better have a damn good reason and your story right as rain!!!!!!
There are some bad@ss Russian martial instructors, that's a fact.

As for the rest, under worst case scenario circumstances you get jumped and kill the other guy, with witnesses that lie and say you started it.

I'd still rather be waiting to be cuffed than be waiting to be embalmed.