• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leftist Hypocrisy on Abortion and Death Penalty

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Not necessarily. The person can take an active role in refusal. For instance, a matching bone marrow donor can initially agree to donate - thereby ending the search for another donor - but later withdraw their consent, even if it means the certain death of the patient. The donor would not have broken any law.
Direct blood transfusion this another often use example. When two people are essentially hooked by tube and is feeding blood directly into another person. (Think Mad Max Fury Road)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Direct blood transfusion this another often use example. When two people are essentially hooked by tube and is feeding blood directly into another person. (Think Mad Max Fury Road)
Yeah... though this doesn't really happen any more because of infection control.

pearl

The answer is obvious: those who are pro-choice don't believe that embryos/fetuses possess the attributes that define personhood,

More accurately, pro-choice is in favor of maintaining the 'legal right' to abortion. Anti-abortion proponents are against the 'legal right' and wish to re-criminalize once again. If the issue comes before the Court again will a consensus be reached as to when life/personhood begins?

"We need not resolve the difficult question of when life begins. When those trained in the respective disciplines of medicine, philosophy, and theology are unable to arrive at any consensus, the judiciary is not in a position to speculate as to the answer."
(Section 1X Roe vs Wade)
The Court noted that the official Catholic position that life begins at the moment of conception has been in the church's official teaching only since the 19th century, that this is by no means the unanimous position of other religious denominations or medical authorities. Lacking any real unanimity the Court granted women the discretionary freedom to exercise their own consciences with minimal government interference.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Lacking any real unanimity the Court granted women the discretionary freedom to exercise their own consciences with minimal government interference.
There's more than that hinges on the decision. Criminalization leads to poverty, disease, crime and high taxes.
Not all effects are direct and obvious.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I do believe that fetal/embryonic life has some value, certainly more value than the life of a person who has murdered others.
Then please address my earlier question: who in your view has the right to tell women that regardless of their wishes they may not have an abortion in the earlier stage of pregancy? And what is the basis of that right?
Democrats are entirely inconsistent in opposing the death penalty for convicted murderers while supporting abortion.
Then why do you not respond with reasoned replies to those who have given you reasons to think otherwise here?
For instance, if you oppose the death penalty for the most heinous crimes and yet still support abortion, you would be placing more value on the life of a serial killer/school shooter/murderer etc. than on an unborn baby
Or, you'd be asserting that you, or the state, knew better about the appropriateness of terminating the pregnancy than the mother did. Do you make that assertion? If so, on what basis?
(all arguments about "personhood" aside).
What, the fact that the fetus at the time of abortion is not yet a person is irrelevant, you say?
THIS is the hypocrisy.
Only if we allow your dismissal of 'personhood'.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
What bothers me are the many who say they're "Pro-Life" and yet are pro-capital punishment and militarily "hawkish", and most of them tend in my experience tend to be on the right.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
And then there is the hypocrisy of the right wanting to ban abortion because they are so "pro-life", while wanting the state to kill people for committing crimes, wanting the nation to resort to warfare (more killing) over ideology, wanting everyone carrying handguns so they'll be ready to kill a fellow citizen any time and anywhere they feel threatened. It seems the only humans these pro-lifers don't want to kill are the ones that haven't become human, yet.

Another interesting bit about pro-lifers is that many of them also oppose sex education and contraceptives; two things that obviously reduce unwanted pregnancies. They want to force women to bring these children into the world, yet oppose the social programs they might depend on to care for and raise them.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I don't belong to either political party, although in general I lean toward the left. However, one thing that bothers me a great deal about the Democratic party is its inconsistency with regard to abortion and the death penalty. I will not discuss my personal opinions on each of these issues in this thread. They are not relevant to this particular discussion. What is relevant is the Democratic party's position on each of these issues, and the implications of these positions. The Democratic Party's platform states that abortion should be legally permitted and socially accepted if a woman chooses to terminate a pregnancy, even for reasons of convenience. However, the Democratic party also strongly opposes the death penalty, and many Democrats want the death penalty abolished in the United States. The implication of these two positions held together is obvious enough. Anyone who holds these two positions (pro-choice and anti-death penalty) is, whether they realize it or not, holding the position that it is more important to protect the lives of murderers than it is to protect the lives of innocent, unborn children. So, how do all of you wonderful toe-the-line Democrats deal with this logical and moral inconsistency?
I don't think there is any inconsistency at all. There only seems to be when you put words into the mouths of so called "leftists".

I am not a fan of abortion, but I think it is absolutely necessary for it to be an available option for women. But, legally speaking, abortion comes down to bodily autonomy. No one can be forced to give up the use of their body against their will, no matter who depends on that use. The 13th Amendment guarantees this. I would argue that we have the right to live, although that isn't a constitutional right, but abortion isn't about that. I don't have the right to live if my life depends on infringing on the constitutionally protected rights of others. That is why we are not obligated to save people's lives when we have the chance. Morally, maybe, but certainly not legally.

I am not a fan of the death penalty either; not because it is immoral, but because it is not cost effective. The required appeals process for those on death row is so long and cost intensive that leaving them in prison is often cheaper than eventually putting them to death. And, that appeals process is necessary, as there have been many who have been wrongly convicted. So, it seems to be better safe than sorry.

All in all, you are assuming that these positions are based on morality when, in fact, they are based in logic and legality.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
More accurately, pro-choice is in favor of maintaining the 'legal right' to abortion. Anti-abortion proponents are against the 'legal right' and wish to re-criminalize once again. If the issue comes before the Court again will a consensus be reached as to when life/personhood begins?
Would that be the question the court has to rule on?

After birth, a child is unquestionably a person, and the parents are no less responsible for the child's existence than they were when the child was a fetus, but western courts generally don't compel parents to provide their bodies for their child's use then.

"Personhood" arguments seem to only matter when it's only the woman's rights on the line. When the argument might imply that a man has to furnish a child with a part of his body and live with lifelong health implications because of it, suddenly the personhood of the child doesn't matter.

@Hubert Farnsworth - you wanted to talk about hypocrisy; well, what do you think of that hypocrisy?

pearl

Would that be the question the court has to rule on?

Good question. I think for the fetus to be considered a person pertains to whether or not the fetus enjoys protection of persons under the Constitution. If this Court decides that life, personhood begins with conception then the woman has no right to abortion.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Good question. I think for the fetus to be considered a person pertains to whether or not the fetus enjoys protection of persons under the Constitution. If this Court decides that life, personhood begins with conception then the woman has no right to abortion.
If the Court decides that personhood begins with conception, then the rights of the fetus would be balanced against the rights of the pregnant person as they are in any other parent-child situation.

... and in any other parent-child situation, the parent isn't compelled to let the child use their bodies.

So if the fetus was given the rights of a mere person, then a pregnant person would be just as free to refuse their uterus - and everything else - to the fetus as a father would be to refuse a kidney or bone marrow to their child.

To actually get to a point where you could justify an abortion ban, you would need to establish that either:

- a fetus is entitled to special rights BEYOND basic human rights, or
- a pregnant person is NOT entitled to at least part of what we consider basic human rights.

So the answer to my rhetorical question is "no." No case about the legality of abortion will come down to the question of whether a fetus is a person.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I usually vote Democratic and I support legal abortion and the death penalty. Euthanisia, as well. Call me pro-death. Hahaha

pearl

- a fetus is entitled to special rights BEYOND basic human rights,

But the first of human rights is right to life.

If the Court decides that personhood begins with conception, then the rights of the fetus would be balanced against the rights of the pregnant person

I think Roe v Wade considered the woman had a right to privacy between her and her doctor without any government interference. R v W was never intended to be abortion on demand. I do not believe abortion should be criminalized, but rare and safe.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
But the first of human rights is right to life.
No, it isn't. In western countries, the right to life doesn't supersede bodily security. This is why I don't have the right to take your kidney, bone marrow, blood, or even a hair off your head... not even if I'll surely die without it.

I think Roe v Wade considered the woman had a right to privacy between her and her doctor without any government interference. R v W was never intended to be abortion on demand. I do not believe abortion should be criminalized, but rare and safe.
Fun fact: many of the people in this thread (me included) aren't Americans. Abortion rights aren't a matter of American law at all where I live.