• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leaving the traditional church

Howard

I was raised in a traditional Christian church, and for the past year, I've attended off and on without really believing in it. This morning, I attended a Unitarian church and I felt happy to be there. On the other hand, I don't want the members of my old church to feel that I'm rejecting them or leaving them behind. What could I possibly say if asked why I'm attending a different church? I'd like to not be the exclusive member of any particular church, including Unitarian Universalism.

MSizer

MSizer
I think that if you are truly looking for the spiritual path that you think best suits you, then your journey should be respected, and I would hope most people would agree. I think if you do encounter people who wish to challenge you on that, you have the right to say "let's agree to disagree and not let that divide us". Then, the ball is in their court, and hopefully they'll choose friendship.

Trey of Diamonds

You can not have a foot in each camp my friend , divided religion is the quickest way to make enemies both sides.

I disagree, UUism is all about having your foot in many camps. But it is true that you can't please everyone all the time. I would tell the folks in your old church that you are exploring your spirituality and seeing what other folks are saying. If they can't handle that then that's their problem not yours. I left the Baptist Church to become Unitarian and there were those who supported me and those who prayed for me and a few that said good riddance. I'm happy with my choice and that is what counts.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I say do what makes you happy. If going to the UU church makes you happy, do it regardless of what others think. If they really are your friends, then they'll understand. If they don't understand and give you grief about it, then you don't need them.

Alceste

Vagabond
I was raised in a traditional Christian church, and for the past year, I've attended off and on without really believing in it. This morning, I attended a Unitarian church and I felt happy to be there. On the other hand, I don't want the members of my old church to feel that I'm rejecting them or leaving them behind. What could I possibly say if asked why I'm attending a different church? I'd like to not be the exclusive member of any particular church, including Unitarian Universalism.

You can't control what other people think or feel. Best to tell people the truth (a gentle version of it, focussing on your own spiritual preferences and inclinations and not them or their beliefs) and let them sort their own feelings out.

Mr Cheese

To thine own self be true...

But don't end up being a practising Wiccan who feng shui's their Hindu altar with a picture of Jesus on top....

Well you could (many do), but it would be a bit silly...
It all depends what you are looking for

Howard

I can tell you that I'd have no fear of being eternally condemned to hell in leaving the traditional church behind. It's hard for me to believe that unless you accept a doctrine which no one can prove, you'll be condemned forever.

EverChanging

In the end, you have to be true to yourself. Keep connections with your friends in the traditional church, if possible. If they decide they can't do that, that's regrettable, but they are more to be pitied than anything else, if they have become so dogmatic they can't be friends with someone who no longer believes in Christianity or certain doctrines. From my personal experience, traditional Christians never treated me that way (though they might still pray for my soul -- that's annoying, but no one's perfect, and I'm sure they mean no harm) -- more of the hostility came from fundamentalists or fringe sects.

I would be honest about wanting to explore other aspects of your spirituality, but how far you go into the details is up to you. One thing I've learned -- and this is something many people have not learned in places like the South where I live -- is that I don't have to tell anyone else what I believe or don't believe. It's none of their business unless I happen to enjoy the discussion.

Edit: By the way, there is no need to be an exclusive member of a Unitarian Universalist congregation even if you do decide you want to sign the book and become a member. In Unitarian Universalism, people are free to explore their spiritual path as they wish and do not have to revoke their membership in a prior religion or denomination to become a UU, nor are they prohibited from becoming a member of another spiritual path while remaining UU at the same time.

Last edited:

Howard

I've visited the Unitarian Church four times now and I appreciate their approach to spirituality and social activism. However, from my experience, it seems that they should focus less on activism and more on spirituality. Next Sunday, I plan on visiting a Quaker church for the first time, and I might tell you about it. I do hope, however, to visit the Unitarian church again in the future.

bicker

Unitarian Universalist
However, from my experience, it seems that they should focus less on activism and more on spirituality.
Different UU churches, even here in the same county, are different in that regard AFAIK. And of course, the relative sentiment along those lines will vary from person to person. So it isn't really a matter, so much, with regard to whether the church is not splitting its focus properly, but rather it is a matter of whether how the church splits its focus pleases each one of us.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Hello and welcome to the RF,to answer your question i would just be honest,if they are your real freinds then it should'nt matter

Howard

I'm just trying to criticize the Unitarians, this particular congregation just may not be for me. Like the Unitarians, the Quakers have an unorthodox approach to theology, believing that the Inner Light is of a higher authority than even Scripture. They have no formal creed and do not even require Trinitarianism, since the word "Trinity" is not in Scripture.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I'm just trying to criticize the Unitarians, this particular congregation just may not be for me. Like the Unitarians, the Quakers have an unorthodox approach to theology, believing that the Inner Light is of a higher authority than even Scripture. They have no formal creed and do not even require Trinitarianism, since the word "Trinity" is not in Scripture.

I have just discovered the non subscribing presbyterians. They are mostly unitarian in belief, but Like the quakers have no dogma, but un like the quakers rely on the teaching of Jesus and the bible and their own personal study and reason. Unfortunately they only have Churches in Ireland.

Howard

Today, I visited a Mennonite church for the first time and I liked it very much. The service was very informal. It is led by a lay minister on a rotating basis, giving everyone a chance to volunteer. I could tell that the commitment to nonviolence of its members was strong. The only thing I didn't like about it is that the sermon didn't seem clearly connected to the Gospel reading, except for perhaps two or three sentences.

This particular Mennonite congregation is affiliated with United Church of Christ, which perhaps makes it more "progressive" than others, something I appreciate. Next Sunday, I'll be visiting a Quaker church for the first time, but I look forward to visiting the Mennonites again in the future. At this point of my life, I wouldn't like to think of myself as the exclusive member of any church. The Spirit breathes wherever it so chooses.