• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leaving the EU has been a disaster for the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwing

It's one of several reasons we have left England. We left well before Brexit because racism and xenophobia was pretty bad. After Brexit it went ballistic. Police records show a dramatic increase in hate crime.
I confess, I didn’t know all that. I can understand, somewhat. I frankly don’t understand, and so can’t support the notion of the “multicultural society”, myself…and I was raised in the so-called “melting pot”. The notion causes me to be afraid of a loss of identity, and I consider identity to be one of the most important of my personal values. I think I will start a thread about that, so that we can get a variety of opinions.

Last edited:

Zwing

It's one of several reasons we have left England. We left well before Brexit because racism and xenophobia was pretty bad. After Brexit it went ballistic. Police records show a dramatic increase in hate crime.
So, what demographic in the U.K. is evidencing such xenophobic ideas? Sort of, “lower classes”? Cockneys and such? The “punk rocker” crowd? I honestly have a bit of a hard time picturing…forming a mental image of a “proper Englishman” acting or speaking like a redneck.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
So, what demographic in the U.K. is evidencing such xenophobic ideas? Sort of, “lower classes”? Cockneys and such? The “punk rocker” crowd? I honestly have a bit of a hard time picturing…forming a mental image of a “proper Englishman” acting or speaking like a redneck.

You don't need to speak in southern drawl to be racist.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Ever spoken to a white London taxi driver? ("Vey come over 'ere............") . There is resentment of immigration in various parts of the country, not actually so much in London, which has always been cosmopolitan, as in other parts where people with funny accents are more of a novelty. The whole issue is very confused, as a lot of the trouble is due to places like Bradford and Leicester which have suffered a bit of a South Asian takeover, which of course is nothing to do with the EU at all! But also local resentment of E Europeans coming as seasonal workers in agriculture. (Now that they have stopped, the produce is rotting in the fields and the quality of fresh fruit and veg is palpably worse, but there you go....)

Zwing

You don't need to speak in southern drawl to be racist.
Yes, I obviously know that, not yet having had a lobotomy, and more to the point, your response doesn’t answer my question. In the U.S., it is generally low-income disaffected “white” (and “white Hispanic”) folks, not necessarily southerners, who lean upon racism as an emotional crutch. There are always demographic variabilities with this sort of thing. What is the demographic relation in the U.K. for this?

ChristineM

Premium Member
Yes, I obviously know that, not yet having had a lobotomy, and more to the point, your response doesn’t answer my question. In the U.S., it is generally low-income disaffected “white” (and “white Hispanic”) folks, not necessarily southerners, who lean upon racism as an emotional crutch. There are always demographic variabilities with this sort of thing. What is the demographic relation in the U.K. for this?

We are not talking about America. Racism and xenophobia can be found in all demographics.

Zwing

We are not talking about America. Racism and xenophobia can be found in all demographics.
Yes, but we’re not talking about racism, as every human is racist in some degree, we are talking about overt, racist aggression. Man, everyone is racist, sexist, etc. to the degree that they think (as everyone does) that they are the best of all people. All these “-isms” are ultimately based in egotism, and the thought that “I am the center of the universe, which revolves about me”. These types of thoughts are common to every person’s “Id”. Don’t know about you, but I think within my “Id”, that I’m God’s gift to creation, the best that a human can be. Do I need to list why? Do you seriously think that there is anybody alive who doesn’t harbor thoughts such as this within the primal portion of his mind? If you respond yes, then gnothi seauton, woman, you need to introspect some.

Most of us are able to recognize our own racist/sexist/etc. thoughts, and mentally counter them before we offend, but people who cannot or will not do that are the ones who make scenes and hurt others. Generally speaking, people with “class” were taught as children or have otherwise learned to recognize their egotistical thoughts and counter them before they reach the lips, and in part these emotional checks are responsible for their social and economic success. You don’t usually see members of “the one percent” out in the streets yelling the “n word” or anything like that…it is always lower class people. People of lower soc.-etc. strata have sometimes not ever learned to deal with these emotionally based, deep-mind feelings, and end up acting out upon them.

Last edited:

ChristineM

Premium Member
Yes, but we’re not talking about racism, as every human is racist in some degree, we are talking about overt, racist aggression. Man, everyone is racist, sexist, etc. to the degree that they think (as everyone does) that they are the best of all people. All these “-isms” are ultimately based in egotism. Don’t know about you, but I think within my “Id”, that I’m God’s gift to creation, the best that a human can be. Do I need to list why?

Oh sorry i thought we were...

My children are mixed race, how racist do i need to be to let someone of another "race" into my body? No we are not all racist, some of us consider that we are all the human race.

Most of us are able to recognize our own racist/sexist/etc. thoughts, and mentally counter them before we offend, but people who cannot or will not do that are the ones who make scenes and hurt others. Generally speaking, people with “class” were taught as children or have otherwise learned to counter their egotistical thoughts and counter them, and in part these emotional checks are responsible for their social and economic success. You don’t usually see members of “the one percent” out in the streets yelling the “n word” or anything like that…it is always lower class people. People of lower soc.-etc. strata have sometimes not ever learned to deal with these emotionally based, deep-mind feelings, and end up acting out upon them.

There has been, on occasion members of the 1% (as in members of parliament) sacked for racism.

Zwing

My children are mixed race, how racist do i need to be to let someone of another "race" into my body?
…and my ex-wife of nine years is Jamaican, but I certainly produce the occasional racist thought, sexist thought (more common than racism with me, actually), etc. I just have a superego which bites it off before I act the fool. In as much as everybody is the center of their own subjective world, every person is subject to all of the “-isms”, including racism.

Last edited:

ChristineM

Premium Member
…and my ex-wife of nine years is Jamaican, but I certainly produce the occasional racist thought, sexist thought, etc. I just have a superego which bites it off before I act the fool. In as much as everybody is the center of their own subjective world, every person is subject to all of the “-isms”, including racism.

Speak for yourself

ChristineM

Premium Member
Legislators are generally not part of the 1%…perhaps in Lords in your country.

You don't know much about england (and wales) politics do you? The typical conservative MP will be at least a multi millionaire

Last edited:

Zwing

some of us consider that we are all the human race.
We all know that the concept of “race” is arbitrary and capricious, and that the only scientific thing that can be said about humans is that we are all members of the same species. Nevertheless, we have been given these arbitrary categories as a cultural inheritance, and so they inhabit our minds whether we like it or not.

ChristineM

Premium Member
We all know that the concept of “race” is arbitrary and capricious, and that the only scientific thing that can be said about humans is that we are all members of the same species. Nevertheless, we have been given these arbitrary categories as a cultural inheritance, and so they inhabit our minds whether we like it or not.

As i have said, speak for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.