• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LDS View on Free Will and an Omniscient God

nutshell

Does anybody agree with me that this is fun and interesting to talk about, but it's not really possible for us to comprehend how God does what He does? I can't even begin to understand how God keeps track of billions of His children at the same time, much less understand how He knows the future without negating free will. I don't want to sound like I'm being critical of the thread, I just want to know if everyone agrees that were just having fun with speculation and not actually solving one of the mysteries of godlines. I once started a thread called "why is there something rather than nothing?", which was kind of in the same category of the unknowable. What do you think?

Yes - I agree it's a paradox that we likely will not wrap our collective heads around.

I've been focusing on whether we have free will and arguing that we may not if God knows everything. By that same argument, we could even say God doesn't have free will because he already knows the choices he's going to make before he makes them and, so, is bound by that choice because his knowledge cannot be anything but perfect. We could also say God doesn't have free will because he must make the perfect choice every time as a perfect being. Having only one path is the lack of free will.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
I'm having great fun.

Having only one path is the lack of free will.

True but if you look at it everybody only has one path. No matter what choices we have we will only choose one path. So if you look at a person whole history they have only taken one path.