• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LDS View on Free Will and an Omniscient God

nutshell

It's not that we are required and forced to choose those things because God knows it. God simply knows what choices we will use our free will to make. Choices we won't make are irrelevent because we won't make them.

And why won't we make them? Because God knows we wont.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
does anyoen not understand what i said?

It is the only reasonable explanation....

in the D&C the place where god resides is a "Great Urim and Thummim" this is known to show the past, present and future. anyone who has been through the temple knows this as well.

It is the Simplist, and most plausable explanation as to the nature of an "All knowing God"

nutshell

All you've explained is how God knows everything. It doesn't change the fact that he does or that our "decisions" are controlled by his knowledge.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
All you've explained is how God knows everything. It doesn't change the fact that he does or that our "decisions" are controlled by his knowledge.

They aren't though. and where they heck would you get that idea? he does not control our actions based on his knowledge. Please tell me where you got the idea from?

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
does anyoen not understand what i said?

It is the only reasonable explanation....

in the D&C the place where god resides is a "Great Urim and Thummim" this is known to show the past, present and future. anyone who has been through the temple knows this as well.

It is the Simplist, and most plausable explanation as to the nature of an "All knowing God"

I asgree with you. All things are present before God. The future past and present God can see them all.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I asgree with you. All things are present before God. The future past and present God can see them all.

that's what i said.........have you been through the temple? he can see them in the sea of fire and glass.... the place where God resides.

nutshell

It's not a direct control, but it is control nonetheless. Why? Because we can never do something opposed to God's knowledge, for if we did, he would cease to be God.

Francine

It's not a direct control, but it is control nonetheless. Why? Because we can never do something opposed to God's knowledge, for if we did, he would cease to be God.

One time God had to come down out of heaven to see what the humans working on the Tower of Babel were up to.

Gen. 11:[5] And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.

DeepShadow

White Crow

See my posts onthe previous page. God's knowledge doesn't conctol our actions. Rather, our actions control what He knows about the future.

Scott C.

Just one guy

We're in an area none of us comprehend, in my humble opinion. I have trouble with the idea that God can predict my future behavior because He knows me so well. If I am predictable, then it's not possible for me to change my behavior from what I have done in the past. At least this poses a logical problem to my little brain.

On the other hand, what if God does not predict the future? What if He just sees it, as we see the present. There is a big difference between PREDICTING what we will do and OBSERVING what we are NOW doing in the future, as if it were present. This solves my logical problem of predictability, but it opens up another unfathomable concept, that God lives in the future as much as He does the present. That's also impossible to comprehend.

Elder Holland's last conference address says:

"These various evolutions and iterations of creeds—and others to come over the centuries—declared the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost to be abstract, absolute, transcendent, immanent, consubstantial, coeternal, and unknowable, without body, parts, or passions and dwelling outside space and time."

Is Elder Holland stating that it's a false doctrine to believe that God lives "outside space and time"? Usually when people say that the past, present, and future are all before God at the same time, it's because He lives outside of time.

These type of philosophical or logical questions rattle around in my head from time to time, but I can only speculate and then realize that I probably have no capacity to understand such questions of eternity. I take comfort in knowing that God is "all knowing" of the past, present, and future, and yet I have agency to choose as I will. I can become something I have never been in the past, something better, if I will it to be and put forth the effort.

DeepShadow

White Crow
Of course, it raises another question. How can God be controlled? Is that possible>?

"Controlled" has additional connotations, so it's probably not the best word. God sees what we do, therefore our actions "control" what he sees. Like a witness to a car wreck, the scene dictates what the witness sees. That's not to say the wreck is "controlling" the witness.

So in that sense, we're technically not controlling God, only what He sees.

Francine

Of course, it raises another question. How can God be controlled? Is that possible>?

Not only possible, it was a major plot point in the book of Helamon, and one of the things I found exceedingly controversial when I read the BoM (but I won't debate it here). Helaman 10:10 And behold, if ye shall say that God shall smite this people, it shall come to pass.

nutshell

Not only possible, it was a major plot point in the book of Helamon, and one of the things I found exceedingly controversial when I read the BoM (but I won't debate it here). Helaman 10:10 And behold, if ye shall say that God shall smite this people, it shall come to pass.

That's an interesting interpretation. I hadn't thought of it like that before. The traditional explanation of Helaman 10 is that great things can be done with the priesthood (such as sealing and miracles). However, these miracles will only occur if it's God's will. So, we aren't controlling God, we're only furthering his wishes.

Scott C.

Just one guy
Does anybody agree with me that this is fun and interesting to talk about, but it's not really possible for us to comprehend how God does what He does? I can't even begin to understand how God keeps track of billions of His children at the same time, much less understand how He knows the future without negating free will. I don't want to sound like I'm being critical of the thread, I just want to know if everyone agrees that were just having fun with speculation and not actually solving one of the mysteries of godlines. I once started a thread called "why is there something rather than nothing?", which was kind of in the same category of the unknowable. What do you think?