• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LDS letter on same-sex marriage

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Well then perhaps Mormon marriage should not be legally binding either, since this is a non-standard way of life for most Americans. This would not be an infringement of religious freedom because Mormons would still be free to have their strange, legally meaningless ceremonies, if they wanted to.

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest because our marriage ceremonies are spiritual and not temporal.

Just like my wife and I were married civilly first and then we were married in the temple together for time and all eternity. It was really special for us :)

no-body

And how many LDS here are against same-sex marriage?

Violating peoples rights seems actually secondary to the fact that homosexuality is described as some sort of disease that needs to be cured. That belief sounds like child abuse to me if you have an overzealous LDS parent.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
How are other recognized religions "non-religion"? :sarcastic

wa:do

I am not saying that at all. There are plenty of religions out there and I am not diminishing their value in any way. I was mentioning "non-religions" because someone coined that phrase which is counter-intuitive.

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest because our marriage ceremonies are spiritual and not temporal.

Just like my wife and I were married civilly first and then we were married in the temple together for time and all eternity. It was really special for us :)

If it's so temporal to have a non-Mormon wedding, then why not let same-sex couples have their weddings? They are temporal after all.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Violating peoples rights seems actually secondary to the fact that homosexuality is described as some sort of disease that needs to be cured. That belief sounds like child abuse to me if you have an overzealous LDS parent.

Diseases are different, It's not like someone can "catch the gay.":p

Like I have said before, they aren't denied any rights that we have. And I have already shown how it is an abnormal trait that reduces mating success which would eventually have caused extinction of any species if it were more prolific. Seeing as a relatively few number of the population is affected by same-sex attraction, logic dictates that since it is found in many different natural settings (i.e. not regional or isolated to a specific ethnic group) it must be some form of either malformed genetic code, unfortunate trauma, conditions of development, or any combination of those.

Your supposed "scientific" data is a bunch of bunk. You haven't provided anything other then highly biased research that has no actual basis to it. Like I said, you are not a scientist, doctor, psychologist or other. You are just some guy on the internet that thinks he knows better then the people who have actually studied these things.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Because if given the chance you would vote against giving the right for same-sex marriage. That's why it matters.

I will always vote to preserve the sanctity of marriage as an institution designed to bear and raise children. It is fundamental to any society that has not been destroyed by natural selection :)

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Your supposed "scientific" data is a bunch of bunk. You haven't provided anything other then highly biased research that has no actual basis to it. Like I said, you are not a scientist, doctor, psychologist or other. You are just some guy on the internet that thinks he knows better then the people who have actually studied these things.

who knows maybe I do? after all, I am just some random guy on the internet. :beach:

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Before you use big words that you don't know how to use, make sure you read their definitions.

Counterintuitive
"The word "counterintuitive" literally means counter to intuition"

religion is defined as:
"Religion is a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of life and the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a supernatural agency, or human beings’ relation to that which they regard as holy, sacred, spiritual, or divine."

so how could a non-religion be religious? that definitely seems counter-intuitive to me.

Wikipedia doesn't even know that there is supposed to be a hyphen in there :(

I will always vote to preserve the sanctity of marriage as an institution designed to bear and raise children. It is fundamental to any society that has not been destroyed by natural selection :)

Do you even think for yourself or do you just repeat everything that "God" supposedly said? I think it's the latter shown by your obvious lack of critical thinking about anything.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
But as I have said before they are already treated equally regardless of their ideas of what marriage should be. :rolleyes:

:facepalm:

No, they're not. It's the equivalent of not recognizing Mormon marriages as legal, but recognizing Catholic ones. You don't think that should happen, so to be consistent you don't think same-sex marriage should be illegal.

You wouldn't want only Mormon marriages to be illegal, right? The rule would have to apply to all religions, right? Well, we don't want only same-sex marriages to be illegal. To be equal, it would have to apply across the board. So either opposite-sex marriages are illegal as well as same-sex, or they both are.

You can't be serious.

Yes, same-sex attraction is different. It's not an ailment, and there's nothing wrong with it.

But it's so gross when two men are so deeply in love with each other, have been monogamous to each other for years and want to create a loving and aware family, doncha know?