• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LDS Church Makes 'Surprise' Change on LGBT Issues

Baroodi

ever changing, vanishing. now we have a new man-made religion. I think more mutations are coming. Real Christianity was destined to be a temporary message that why it is not immune to tampering

Watchmen

Premium Member
Just as there's no reason to forgive human beings for behaving like human beings. They implemented a policy 3 1/2 years ago that turned out to not be such a good policy after all. Now they've changed it. All I can say is, "Yea!" I'm doing my happy dance. I'm also glad same-sex marriage is no longer going to be grounds for excommunication. This is truly a happy day for me.
It is nice that they changed for the better. The rub is that they claim the policy from 3.5 year’s ago AND today’s policy came from God.

dianaiad

Except of course that you are-- in record numbers, historically. Loosing members, that is.

Prove it. Your claim, your burden of proof.

yes, we lose members. That is happening to all religions. Since we ARE growing (albeit considerably more slowly than in previous years) we have more members than we have ever had, so when we lose some, it will be more, numerically, than we lost before. However, your claim SEEMS to imply...and more than imply...that ...let's see...your next claim is:

And your WhatAboutIsm with respect to other branches of religion? So what? Doesn't change the **fact** that LDS is rapidly shrinking, with each passing generation.

prove it...and since that is factually false, you are going to have some difficulty with that.

Among the Millennial crowd? Record numbers are identifying as "none" when asked about religion.

Indeed they are. However, that's for the class: "Millennial," not for the class "LDS." Keep to the topic. ...and do define 'record numbers.'

You, and pretty much all religions are on a rocket-sled to oblivion: The Internet really is the place where All Religion Come To Die. Mainly because facts are not filtered....

You seem to be filtering them to suit your own position.

Oh, sure-- in the end, the numbers will likely settle out at a small percentage of the population.

Just as you can still find Druids here and there; you can find followers of the Norse gods, and I quite expect you can find adherents of the ancient Egyptian gods too.

Small percentages. Harmless. You can copy-paste all the lies you like-- it won't change the maths one iota.

No. So go do the research and show us how the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints is shrinking in numbers and has done so with 'each passing generation."

Post the numbers. Do a line graph showing how the church has declined in numbers over the past few generations.

G'head. It's your claim, you get to do the homework.

Watchmen

Premium Member

yes, we lose members. That is happening to all religions. Since we ARE growing (albeit considerably more slowly than in previous years) we have more members than we have ever had, so when we lose some, it will be more, numerically, than we lost before. However, your claim SEEMS to imply...and more than imply...that ...let's see...your next claim is:

prove it...and since that is factually false, you are going to have some difficulty with that.

Indeed they are. However, that's for the class: "Millennial," not for the class "LDS." Keep to the topic. ...and do define 'record numbers.'

No. So go do the research and show us how the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints is shrinking in numbers and has done so with 'each passing generation."

Post the numbers. Do a line graph showing how the church has declined in numbers over the past few generations.

Plenty of people have already done the research. LDS Church Membership Statistics Analysis

danieldemol

Premium Member
ever changing, vanishing. now we have a new man-made religion. I think more mutations are coming. Real Christianity was destined to be a temporary message that why it is not immune to tampering
The same argument can be made for Islam that if it is not immune to tampering why are there so many sects of Islam.

A Vestigial Mote

I stop replying to viscous posters.
And what I said in that previous post was vicious? Interesting. Good luck with your glass emotional state. Just know that you could be as truly vicious with your religious assertions as you wanted and I would easily breeze through the noise and do my best to hand you your butt on a silver platter.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
And what I said in that previous post was vicious? Interesting. Good luck with your glass emotional state. Just know that you could be as truly vicious with your religious assertions as you wanted and I would easily breeze through the noise and do my best to hand you your butt on a silver platter.
Yeah that was vicious. Vestigial Mote, gnostic and shadow_wolf I don't respond to.

Bob the Unbeliever

You seem to be under the impression that I care what you think, and that facts are something you can just believe in.

Google is your Friend: it has shown, repeatedly, that all religions -- including the LDS, are shrinking faster than they are replacing membership.

The sole growth is from within-- no significant outside prioritization is happening.

Do the simple math: If the only growth is from raising new indoctrinated children? But increasingly younger demographics are leaving all religion (not just yours)?

You are going to lose that battle. The FACT IS? Your religion is dying-- like all the rest.

Your leadership KNOWS THIS FACT-- why do you think they back-pedaled with respect to LGBTQ issues? There is MONEY TO BE MADE-- so they backpedal furiously.

Bob the Unbeliever

Indeed. Irony, considering how fractured Islam has become, and in fact, any place where Islam is in the majority-- or worse-- is synonymous with government, there is war strife and mayhem-- as the different "brands" of Islam fight amongst themselves...

... it's as if there isn't actually any over-arching authority that could address this internal fighting and bloodshed...

Watchmen

Premium Member
Yes. I note the incredibly weird projection of loss into the next few decades that don't even remotely fit the pattern. Who ARE those people?
Statisticians who know a lot more about it than you or me. You literally asked for evidence and graph charts and when provided you launch into the ad hominem.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Yes. I note the incredibly weird projection of loss into the next few decades that don't even remotely fit the pattern. Who ARE those people?
And what “pattern” do you speak of? Did you hear the numbers this weekend? I believe this is the slowest growth in well over 100 years.