1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Krishna - Historical or mythological?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by adrian009, Sep 5, 2020.

?
  1. Historical

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Mythological

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Krishna is based on an historical character that has largely been mythologised

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. I don't know

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  5. This poll does not reflect my thinking

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. loverofhumanity

loverofhumanity Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    What can I say except you are most patient and I hope you get very good karma for it.

2. Marcion

Marcion gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma

Ratings:
    +957
    Religion:
    None! Panentheism; Neo-Humanism; Orthodox Tantra-Yoga; Manava (human) Dharma
    I believe that Lord Krishna was a historical Sat-Guru who lived just over 3500 years ago and that the Mahabharata (which includes the Bhagavad Gita) story was written down around 200 years after Krishna lived.
    I also believe that Lord Shiva was a very similar tantric type of Sat-Guru who lived yet 3500 years earlier in a more primitive age (at a time the Aryans had already started their immigrations into Bharat).

Their roles were different because the circumstances in human society differed and demanded different solutions for restoring Dharma in human society.

Because of the great time spans that passed after their lives, both these Maha-kaula* Guru's were embellished with countless myths, especially Lord Shiva because initially little was written down about his life.
    This does not mean that all the supernatural things attributed to them are mythical, they were surely of a quite different category than great wise men such as Buddha and Jesus.

7000 and 3500 years ago, the world outside of India was still less civilised and the teachings of both Shiva and Krishna reached the rest of the world largely indirectly through watered down ideological offshoots (the original teachings of Buddha and Jesus are also quite tantric).

So the less tantric views on the personality of Lord Krishna have very little to do with the original Krishna and are distorted religious images (as the image of Jesus was distorted by early christians).

Every new spiritual or more religious ideology is syncretic in nature and lays claims to improvements, modernisations or adjustments to the spirit of the age and those should never be discouraged.
    But sadly many ideologies are also more or less limited by lack of deeper knowledge of their propounders.

* a kaula has gained the ability to raise their kulakundalini to the level of God at will. A Maha-kaula can raise the kulakundalini of any other creature with a spinal collumn at will and is born fully realised himself.

#182 Marcion, Feb 4, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Tony Bristow-Stagg

Tony Bristow-Stagg One Planet One People Please
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,758
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Your full post contained many good points that can be found in Truth given by God.

The part I quoted is the quandary all of humanuty now faces, it does not exempt you or I.

Aspects of that quandary can also be seen in the reply you gave.

Regards Tony

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Marcion

Ratings:
    +957
    Religion:
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'Truth given by God' but if it is a text or book then I'm not acquainted with it.

5. Tony Bristow-Stagg

Tony Bristow-Stagg One Planet One People Please
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,758
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    That is the quandary of life we face.

Regards Tony

6. Marcion

Ratings:
    +957
    Religion:
    But how can the Bahai really insult other religions (as you call other traditions) if most of those traditions themselves differ among each other in their theories about avatars etc. anyway?
    The Bahai theory is just one among many.
    Every tradition believes that their own cosmology (or lack of it) is the best.

It is only the fact that Bahai believe that all people on the planet will one day accept or bow down to their Bahai vision which is peculiar to me.
    They are in a certain way islamocentric just like the Christians are in a way judocentric.

The Indian people who are not Christian or Muslim are far removed from those islamocentric and judocentric ideas.
    Especially where they base their viewpoints on deep spiritual and cosmological philosophies, the Bahai viewpoint seems very much out of touch and quite irrelevant.
    But for Bahai's this will never be clear to them as they lack the knowledge to be able to compare the different paradigma's in any meaningful way.

The problem with universal ideologies is that they feel they have the final superior overview regarding the whole spectrum of other ideologies.
    But who is qualified or capable of making the ultimate overview?

#186 Marcion, Jun 13, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2021
  7. loverofhumanity

loverofhumanity Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Could you or a moderator please kindly check the source of this post as I do not believe I wrote what is quoted as ‘lover of humanity’. I would never have written such a thing or it has been misquoted out of context. I have a deep respect for all faiths but do apologise if I have.

loverofhumanity said:
    So this belief is unique to the small and insignificant Baha'i faith, and not common to mankind at all, as you insinuate. For a faith that preaches harmony, you guys sure know how to insult other religions.”

This is clearly cut and pasted from someone else’s post and presented as if I wrote it. I must submit it for moderating as these are not my words yet quoted as being my words???

#187 loverofhumanity, Jun 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  8. Quagmire

Quagmire Imaginary talking monkey
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17,119
    Religion:
    None
    Looks like there was a technical error.

It's fixed now.

• Like Like x 1