• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Koran v. Bible

1robin

Christian/Baptist
There have been some sects of Islam that also believed Jesus was cruicified and died and His spirit went to God.

You are saying, you are relying on Moslems interpretations, because, that is their own Book. Well, according to the Author of Quran, it was sent to Mankind, not Moslems only!

And We sent down to you the Reminder so that you may clarify to mankind what We have sent down to them} [16:44]

Moreover, if someone else uses you reasoning, then they should reject Jesus christ, based on interpretation of OT by the Jews. Because they can say Torah is owned by Jews, and we rely on their interpretation, not others!
I didn't say that I agree with the muslims but in the absence of my own understanding of the verse then I accept the Muslim viewpoint as being consistent or representative of what Islam claims not what I believe is true. There is a huge difference. It is an extremely small minority of Muslims that would dare claim that Jesus died physically. This is certainly not the virtually universal belief among muslims that Jesus did not die physically. You seem to be concentrateing on this one issue and ignoring the other half dozen of the hundreds of contradictory claims between Islam and Christianity. There is no way whatsoever you can reconcile biblical and Quranic theology on the whole. If allah sent me down the quran he should have been smart enough to send it in english. (Just kidding) It is irrelevant who the quran is for. It states one thing the bible states the opposite in hundreds of instances. Any claim they are both correct is of fallable origin and no different than any manmade philosophy.

InvestigateTruth

I didn't say that I agree with the muslims but in the absence of my own understanding of the verse then I accept the Muslim viewpoint as being consistent or representative of what Islam claims not what I believe is true. There is a huge difference. It is an extremely small minority of Muslims that would dare claim that Jesus died physically. This is certainly not the virtually universal belief among muslims that Jesus did not die physically. You seem to be concentrateing on this one issue and ignoring the other half dozen of the hundreds of contradictory claims between Islam and Christianity. There is no way whatsoever you can reconcile biblical and Quranic theology on the whole. If allah sent me down the quran he should have been smart enough to send it in english. (Just kidding) It is irrelevant who the quran is for. It states one thing the bible states the opposite in hundreds of instances. Any claim they are both correct is of fallable origin and no different than any manmade philosophy.

No, I believe in every instance that you say there is a difference, similar to the resurrection of Jesus, there is a way to reconcile. Why don't you try more?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Here is the little list:
And away we go again. I will continue where I left off.

4. The gospels have a large time span before being canonized what gives the assumption that it can have been influenced and altered.
There is nothing about being canonized that magically protects them from alteration. In fact most of the actual errors came after connonization and are simple scribal mistakes that have little effect on the whole. They were always revered writeing and considered as holy as they are now. The only difference between composition and canonization was the removeal of other works that were used at the time. The fact that is really important here is the time period between the events and the first extant copy. As I have said before while I wish the books were dated to 1 second after his death they are infact the most reliable textual tradition of any book in ancient history.

Dating estimates for the dates when the canonical gospel accounts were written vary significantly; and the evidence for any of the dates is scanty. Because the earliest surviving complete copies of the gospels date to the 4th century and because only fragments and quotations exist before that, scholars use higher criticism to propose likely ranges of dates for the original gospel autographs. Scholars variously assess the majority (though not the consensus [21]) view as follows:
  • Mark: c. 68–73,[22] c. 65–70[23]
  • Matthew: c. 70–100.[22] c. 80–85.[23]
  • Luke: c. 80–100, with most arguing for somewhere around 85,[22] c. 80–85[23]
  • John: c. 90–100,[23] c. 90–110,[24] The majority view is that it was written in stages, so there was no one date of composition.
Traditional Christian scholarship has generally preferred to assign earlier dates. Some historians interpret the end of the book of Acts as indicative, or at least suggestive, of its date; as Acts mentions neither the death of Paul, generally accepted as the author of many of the Epistles, who was later put to death by the Romans c. 65[citation needed], nor any other event post AD 62, notably the Neronian persecution of AD 64/5 that had such impact on the early church[25]. Acts is attributed to the author of the Gospel of Luke, which is believed to have been written before Acts, and therefore would shift the chronology of authorship back, putting Mark as early as the mid 50s. Here are the dates given in the modern NIV Study Bible:
  • Matthew: c. 50 to 70s
  • Mark: c. 50s to early 60s, or late 60s
  • Luke: c. 59 to 63, or 70s to 80s
  • John: c. 85 to near 100, or 50s to 70
The two most important criteria in order to establish reliability of a textual account of an event or events are:
1. Was the the account or accounts composed within the lifetime of witnesses to the events. The bible definately was even if you use the later dates above.
2. Was there enough time for myth to infect the story.
Also, if they were written early, this would mean that there would not have been enough time for myth to creep into the gospel accounts since it was the eyewitnesses to Christ's life that wrote them. Furthermore, those who were alive at the time of the events could have countered the gospel accounts and since we have no contradictory writings to the gospels, their early authorship as well as apostolic authorship becomes even more critical.
When were the gospels written and by whom?|What are the dates and authors of the gospels? | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry
I have read many papers by scholars who point out that it takes far longer for myths to arise especially one as complecated as this, than the time between the events and the Gospels. Also since the Quran supports all of the crucifixion story and many of the other aspects of Christ's life in the bible except the actual physical death then you would have to agree that they appear reliable. You could also find large portions of the new testament in early church writeings that are earlier than the some dates for the Gospels which confirm that the facts were in written form even earlier than the earliest dates given for the Gospels.

5. You yourself have accepted the fact that 5% has been corrupted so how do we know its only 5% and the number is not higher hence the long time span and different scribes, church fathers and maybe Paul.
They have thousands of early manuscripts in many languages plus tens of thousands of somewhat later ones. They have developed computer programs that can compare all these manuscripts and highlight all discrepencies. That means that there is known to be approx 5% meaningful errors in the bible as well as a higher percent of meaningless errors. Like two Ns in Johns name etc....... I will point out that this includes total errors not errors in a line of transmission which is the more meaningful statistic and would be much lower. That is why modern bibles actually footnote all known possible errors and usually give the facts that surround them. Even Bart Ehrman agrees with this.

6. If i was to use the Old-testament's reliablity we would go no-where since we do not know for example who wrote Hebrews and other scriptures.
Hebrews is not in the old testament. It is virtually certain that Paul wrote Hebrews but as we are not discussing Hebrews or the old testament because it is just too much to cover at one time then I won't comment further.

7. In the more earlier scriptures of Mark Jesus(p) is more pictured as a messenger/man and the later the story evolves in Mark, Matthew, Luke and John as last.
The Gospels did not evolve. They were and it makes very good sence that they were written from different perspectives for different puposes and to different audiences. Evolution is a convienient assumption dreamed up to make a biased point. They are exactly what I would have desired God to have done. I would not want and there would be no need for four identicle gospels. There is quite a lot in common between them as it is. If they were identicle then critics would simply switch to the claim that they are copies of each other. There is no pleaseing someone who refuses to believe. You would agree I believe.

8. There is no record of strong Oral tradition.
As far as the New testament is concerned there was no need or requirement. The original witnesses were alive when the gospels were written and they relied on written records at this period in history not on oral tradition as in Moses' time. There was no formal oral tradition but as churches were already coming together then these events would have been discussed and questioned and explained by the apostles over and over again. There is also no known document or account of any witness suggesting that the events of the Gospels were false at the time. If the apostles were making this stuff up looks like someone who was a witness would have written "I was there and this or that never happened". There are even written records outside the bible that confirm many of the events during this time. See Flavious Josephus, Tacitus, Thallus, Pliny the younger, the Talmud, Lucian etc......

That is enough fun for now. Tune in tomorrow for the next installment.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Now that is misdirection on steroids. You answer no points I made and ask your own unrelated one. If you can prove that there is no reality outside the detection of materialistic scientific testing then I will do so. Someone who limits their reality to only the scientific is far more closed minded than me who allows for possible realities that our limited intellect can not access. Neither love, astetic value, nor morality can be scientifically verified so I assume you do not believe in them either. Quite a system you got yourself. This reminds me of a statement by David Hume probably a hero of yours, he said If a statement is not scientific nor mathematic then it should be discarded. He failed to realise that that statement itself is neither scientific nor mathematic and so is discarded. Much of science its self is based on non scientific faith in the rationality of the universe.
what is the significance of that for the here and now?
i guess you are too eager to show your penis is bigger than mine...

well size don't matter it's what you do with it.
maybe you just don't know how to use it.

laughable.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
what is the significance of that for the here and now?
i guess you are too eager to show your penis is bigger than mine...

well size don't matter it's what you do with it.
maybe you just don't know how to use it.

laughable.
I would appreciate a little more decorum or at least appropriate vulgarity. Does your entire position rest on asking a question in response to anything, even another question? The mark of the eternal skeptic. You seem to be one of these misguided materialists who think that science encompasses all reality and anything that is not empirical is worthless. Since I do not think you will ever understand what I am saying then I will answer your question in order for you to read and then ask another unrelated question back. There is no proof for the bible. IMO it can not nor will ever be provable until it is too late for you materialists. God requires faith and faith requires the absence of proof. Now what do we have left? A probability case. Since the bible contains no proven incorrect historical facts and tens of thousands of accurate ones, and it also contains something like 2300 prophecies, and the ones that should have happened have happened in great detail and accuracy. It also contains accurate scientific facts that were not knowable to the writers. It is philisophically consistent and coherent. It accurately describes the condition of humanity. There is even very accurate and reliable testimony to most of it's supernatural claims. It answers all the most important questions on meaning, purpose, origin that science is impotent to even consider. It also describes abstract concepts that are inaccessable to science like love, astetics, morality etc.....This establishes a very high probability that even the unverifiable claims are accurate as well. I could go on and on but it won't matter, you don't want to believe and so you will find some reason no matter how wrong,inaccurate, or irrelevant to justify dissbelief. So have at it. Christian faith is a matter of very educated choice. It's evidence has been suffecient for some of the most intelligent people on earth.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I would appreciate a little more decorum or at least appropriate vulgarity. Does your entire position rest on asking a question in response to anything, even another question? The mark of the eternal skeptic. You seem to be one of these misguided materialists who think that science encompasses all reality and anything that is not empirical is worthless. Since I do not think you will ever understand what I am saying then I will answer your question in order for you to read and then ask another unrelated question back. There is no proof for the bible. IMO it can not nor will ever be provable until it is too late for you materialists. God requires faith and faith requires the absence of proof. Now what do we have left? A probability case. Since the bible contains no proven incorrect historical facts and tens of thousands of accurate ones, and it also contains something like 2300 prophecies, and the ones that should have happened have happened in great detail and accuracy. It also contains accurate scientific facts that were not knowable to the writers. It is philisophically consistent and coherent. It accurately describes the condition of humanity. There is even very accurate and reliable testimony to most of it's supernatural claims. It answers all the most important questions on meaning, purpose, origin that science is impotent to even consider. It also describes abstract concepts that are inaccessable to science like love, astetics, morality etc.....This establishes a very high probability that even the unverifiable claims are accurate as well. I could go on and on but it won't matter, you don't want to believe and so you will find some reason no matter how wrong,inaccurate, or irrelevant to justify dissbelief. So have at it. Christian faith is a matter of very educated choice. It's evidence has been suffecient for some of the most intelligent people on earth.

funny, you have yet to explain by what criteria do you determine something to be real...faith ain't cuttin it.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
funny, you have yet to explain by what criteria do you determine something to be real...faith ain't cuttin it.
It's funny you demand proof for what I have said is unprovable, only reasonably believed. First of all you never asked my what criteria I use to determine the reality of something in general is. Faith iand personal spiritual experience is perfectly suffecient for an individual, but I conclude the bible is objectively true the same way people consider love to be an objective truth. I dont have a name for it. I personally have had experiential spiritual experiences with God but those are only subjective but absolute for the one who has them. Since I never said the truth of the bible is a proven fact why do you keep asking me to prove it. It is sort of like the fact that most people believe 100% that their mother loves or loved them. It also is not empiracly provable but no less valid. Why does everyone believe an astetic value system exists, can't prove that either. Why does everyone believe morals exist. Why do scientist suggest life came from non life. They didn't see it, can't reproduce, it violates a law of biology and happened a billion years ago but yet they yell fact everytime they are on TV. And I bet you don't write them and demand proof. You are splitting irrelevant hairs.

arthra

Baha'i
Robin wrote:

"It is irrelevant who the quran is for. It states one thing the bible states the opposite in hundreds of instances. Any claim they are both correct is of fallable origin and no different than any manmade philosophy."

Maybe Robin what you decide is "man-made"...

F0uad

I will wait till your fully done since i already have my counter-arguments ready i will just wait

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Robin wrote:

"It is irrelevant who the quran is for. It states one thing the bible states the opposite in hundreds of instances. Any claim they are both correct is of fallable origin and no different than any manmade philosophy."

Maybe Robin what you decide is "man-made"...
I have no idea what you are referring to. If you are referring to the statement above you are absolutely incorrect. What I said is very easily verified and only requires the reality of the books not their supernatural claims. The last part is a philisophical law. This is very simple and verifiable and so in no way is opinion.

BruceDLimber

[T]he quran] states one thing; the bible states the opposite.... Any claim they are both correct is of fallable origin and no different than any manmade philosophy.

Only in your opinion.

The Baha'i scriptures explain the apparent difference very satisfactorily, IOV!

They explain that the Qur'an is speaking of the fact that the Spirit of Jesus wasn't destroyed even though He was indeed killed.

Peace, :)

Bruce

InvestigateTruth

It is irrelevant who the quran is for. It states one thing the bible states the opposite in hundreds of instances. Any claim they are both correct is of fallable origin and no different than any manmade philosophy.

In our discussion, I would say it is relevant who Quran is for.
Because, you are relying on the interpretation of the majority of Moslems, and you are assuming that the verses of Quran, can have only a literal interpretation.
Had you considered the possibility that some of the verses of the Bible and Quran should not be interpreted literally, you would not declare so firmly that they are different!

While the Author of Quran claimed there are Hidden meanings in its verses.
So, the point is, when you say "It states one thing the bible states the opposite in hundreds of instances", this is as per literal reading, without considering the possibility that these Books can have another interpretation of their apparent and literal meaning.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Here is the little list:

9. No records of the 1st century except of the Gospels.
I have no idea what you mean here. Did you mean accept or except. Either way this doesn't make sence. Please let me know which one and I will show why.

10. No commentaries or context of that time.
Again I don't know why you think this is a deficiency. There are many many documents establishing context. There have been documentaries and books on just the Roman occupation alone. There are extra biblical records galore.

11. We have nothing dating back to the apostels.
These last points make no sence to me. We have hundreds of things dating back to well before 100AD. The Gospels themselves are most likely that early. And Paul definately is. Plus all kinds of secular Roman records.

12. Curch Fathers and scribes influencing some of the verses.
You will have to pick certain ones. A blanket statement can not be evaluated.

I hope you can sincerely accept some of them or at-least make good arguments on how these are not issues.
I think the one point that causes me a little worry is your authorship issue. It seems almost certain the apostles wrote them but it is at least not a proven fact in one or two. The rest of your points cause ME no problems of course everyone is different and is responsible for his own decisions.

Now that is misdirection on steroids. You answer no points I made and ask your own unrelated one. If you can prove that there is no reality outside the detection of materialistic scientific testing then I will do so. Someone who limits their reality to only the scientific is far more closed minded than me who allows for possible realities that our limited intellect can not access. Neither love, astetic value, nor morality can be scientifically verified so I assume you do not believe in them either. Quite a system you got yourself. This reminds me of a statement by David Hume probably a hero of yours, he said If a statement is not scientific nor mathematic then it should be discarded. He failed to realise that that statement itself is neither scientific nor mathematic and so is discarded. Much of science its self is based on non scientific faith in the rationality of the universe.
I don't mean to stalk 1robin, but I'm just jumping around threads and found this one and had some questions.
Would one of the possible realities you allow be the non existence of your god?
Would one be the non existence of any god?
Would one be the existence of billions of other life forms throughout the universe?
Would one be the possibility that all of those life forms resemble those found on earth, with slight variations?
Would one be that 90% of the intelligent life forms had absolute proof that they came from a natural and not supernatural process?
I'm just wondering what the open mind you claim allows what possibilities?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I don't mean to stalk 1robin, but I'm just jumping around threads and found this one and had some questions.
Would one of the possible realities you allow be the non existence of your god?
Don't mind at all, you seem humble and respectful and that is a breath of fresh air in here. I absolutely allow for the possability that God does not exist. However I do not consider it likely at all.

Would one be the non existence of any god?
I actually believe in the non existance of a great many God's.

Would one be the existence of billions of other life forms throughout the universe?
That is very possible. However as far as we know there isn't.

Would one be the possibility that all of those life forms resemble those found on earth, with slight variations?
I do not have the education to agree or disagree, and neither does anyone else.

Would one be that 90% of the intelligent life forms had absolute proof that they came from a natural and not supernatural process?
Once again I have no opinion. There is not enough information to lean one way or the other. However as far as we know no. It is not really a competeing theory at this point.

I'm just wondering what the open mind you claim allows what possibilities?
I am very open to allowing for anything. The way I operate is to establish probabilities for things that can be evaluated. I have adopted Christianity on the basis of a very high probability and have been born again which could only take place if God and at least the core of the bible are true and real. So I accepted it because of faith in information but recieved confirmation as a spiritual experience. Keep this in mind if you want to discuss things with me any deeper it will be important. Yes I allow for the possability that my spiritual experience was something other than what I believe it to have been. However I put that possability at approx less than .01% based on the nature and timing of the experience.

Last edited:

F0uad

Only in your opinion.

The Baha'i scriptures explain the apparent difference very satisfactorily, IOV!

They explain that the Qur'an is speaking of the fact that the Spirit of Jesus wasn't destroyed even though He was indeed killed.

Peace, :)

Bruce

This again The Quranic verses says Not Crucified NOR KILLED
Crucifixion doesn't mean that one needs to die it means that one is being nailed/hanged on a cross that's why it says Nor killed after the crucifixion.

So the Crucifixion and the killing didn't happen.

It also makes no sense to say that Jesus(p) died because according to the biblical scriptures a Soul cannot die and if there argument is that the body died that means Jesus(p) didn't die since the Soul is you and the body is a shell also supported by scriptures.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
interesting, you do not use the same criteria for your belief in the bible

:facepalm:
That's it I am done with you for now. Do you have no sence of shame that would drive you to actually say something of substance every now and then. This is a waste of your, and what is infinately more valuable, my time. You are like a blind sarcastic drive by shooter that can't hit anything.

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
And YOUR posts will be far less rediculous when you learn to spell ridiculous!

Bruce
The last refuge of someone without a defendable position. Grammer. I can not download the spell check and I hate english so if you are interested in grammer don't look at me.