• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Koran:...Jesus is the Son...

Apple Pie

The last word in question…

مبينا= “mubeena

“mubeenan” definition:

Active participle, masculine singular. Clear; open to see; self expressive severing. Distinct, as though separate from others; apparent, manifest, evident, clear, plain, or perspicuous. A man, or thing bearing evidence of a quality that he, or it, possesses. A man perspicuous, or clear, or distinct, in speech or language; or chaste therein; or eloquent; fluent, elegant, and elevated; speech, and having little hesitation, therein. It has two contrasting significations: separation and disunion, and also union.

It comes from the root “bana”, which means to be distinct and separate, far away, remote from, divorced, clear, obvious, explain. It, a thing became separated, severed, disunited, or cut off from the thing. It, a thing, or an affair, or a case, was, or became, distinct as though separate from others; and thus apparent, manifest, evident, clear, plain, or perspicuous; and was, or became known.

References:
An Arabic-English Lexicon, E.W. Lane, volume one, pp. 285 - 289
The Dictionary of the Holy Qur’an, 1st edition, Abdul Mannan Omar, pp. 70 - 71

Here we have the participle “mubeenan” proclaiming that the light (of “allah”) is clear and self-expressive.

Further, the classic definition applies this to a man.

Thus…

We have 4.174 telling us that the light that has been descended is not only referring to a man, but a man that is deity (via “allah”).

It is crystal clear that this ayah is simply parroting the Biblical Gospels regarding Jesus Christ….with the god “allah” being thrown in for good measure…

Think on it….

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Apple Pie said:
let’s look…
You have just hand-picked another Koranic ayah that confirms that Jesus is The Light.

Actually it wasn't me. I quoted your mainstream scholar who is continuously at odds with your translations of the Quran. It is a FACT that in this quote and a couple others in the Quran's referrence to "light" is a BOOK.

I sorta understand where you are going with it but as you pointed out the description of light can be applied to many things but have a different meaning and that is exactly what happened in the Quran.

(Arberry Translation)
5:46
And We sent, following in their footsteps, Jesus son of Mary, confirming the Torah before him and We gave to him the Gospel, wherein is guidance and light, and confirming the Torah before it, as a guidance and an admonition unto the godfearing.

"Gospel (Injeel), wherin is guidance and light confirming the Torah before it (The Injeel-Gospel)"

So, now is Arberry's (Your quoted mainstream scholar) translation incorrect?

(Arberry Translation)
6:91
They measured not God with His true measure when they said, 'God has not sent down aught on any mortal.' Say: 'Who sent down the Book that Moses brought as a light and a guidance to men? You put it into parchments, revealing them, and hiding much; and you were taught that you knew not, you and your fathers.' Say: 'God.' Then leave them alone, playing their game of plunging.

See it? There it is again. The light is referring to a book.

(Arberry Translation)
4:52
Even so We have revealed to thee a Spirit of Our bidding. Thou knewest not what the Book was, nor belief; but We made it a light, whereby We guide whom We will of Our servants. And thou, surely thou shalt guide unto a straight path --

:banghead3

Jesus brought the Gospel where in it was guidance and light.

They sent downn the BOOK to Moses and the book that Moses brought to his people was a a light and guideance

You do not know what the book is nor do you believe; but we have made it (THE BOOK) a light, where we guide who we will of our servants

The Quran is clear. Arberry (The mainstream scholar you've previously quoted) referrence the light that was brought or sent to (a book).

You seem to be having a problem grasping these basic renderings. Either you except Arberry (Whom you've quoted) or you reject his translation.

Either way doesn't matter to me. If you choose to disagree then you are disagreeing with a scholar you cited. If this is the case then how can we take serious anything else you spout?

Apple Pie said:
57.28…fear “allah” & obey his messenger (Jesus); He is the Light…

I agree with you here. The ligt here IS referring to Jesus

Apple Pie said:
Please inform us exactly how “allah” is sent down (anzalna)…:shrug:
Apple Pie said:
How can the Lord send down "allah"...?

EXACTLY.... If Jesus is GOD Almighty how could he send himself?

NOW YOUR'RE GETTING IT...... You're almost there...just a little further...:cover:

</IMG></IMG></IMG>

Apple Pie

DreGod07 said:
Actually it wasn't me. I quoted your mainstream scholar who is continuously at odds with your translations of the Quran.

How would you know when you don't even understand Arabic...?

It is a FACT that in this quote and a couple others in the Quran's referrence to "light" is a BOOK.

Where's the Arabic...?

I sorta understand where you are going with it but as you pointed out the description of light can be applied to many things but have a different meaning and that is exactly what happened in the Quran.

It never once applies to the "Injeel"....like you want it too...

(Arberry Translation)
And We sent, following in their footsteps, Jesus son of Mary, confirming the Torah before him and We gave to him the Gospel, wherein is guidance and light, and confirming the Torah before it, as a guidance and an admonition unto the godfearing.

"Gospel (Injeel), wherin is guidance and light confirming the Torah before it (The Injeel-Gospel)"

So, now is Arberry's (Your quoted mainstream scholar) translation incorrect?

Show us the Arabic in which you think he is correct...good luck...

(Arberry Translation)
6:91
They measured not God with His true measure when they said, 'God has not sent down aught on any mortal.' Say: 'Who sent down the Book that Moses brought as a light and a guidance to men? You put it into parchments, revealing them, and hiding much; and you were taught that you knew not, you and your fathers.' Say: 'God.' Then leave them alone, playing their game of plunging.

See it? There it is again. The light is referring to a book.

Where's the Arabic to buttress your position....or...can't you be bothered...?

The Quran is clear.

Indeed.

Too bad you can't read Arabic.

Arberry (The mainstream scholar you've previously quoted) referrence the light that was brought or sent to (a book).

You seem to be on an "Arberry" kick...

Go ahead and prove to us that "feehi" refers to a book rather than Jesus Christ.

Good luck...

Either way doesn't matter to me. If you choose to disagree then you are disagreeing with a scholar you cited. If this is the case then how can we take serious anything else you spout?

You sound angry....

Mujahid Mohammed

Apple Pie said:
let’s look…

(5.46)

&#1608;&#1602;&#1601;&#1610;&#1606;&#1575; &#1593;&#1604;&#1609; &#1569;&#1575;&#1579;&#1585;&#1607;&#1605; &#1576;&#1593;&#1610;&#1587;&#1609; &#1575;&#1576;&#1606; &#1605;&#1585;&#1610;&#1605; &#1605;&#1589;&#1583;&#1602;&#1575; &#1604;&#1605;&#1575;

&#1576;&#1610;&#1606; &#1610;&#1583;&#1610;&#1607; &#1605;&#1606; &#1575;&#1604;&#1578;&#1608;&#1585;&#1610;&#1577; &#1608;&#1569;&#1575;&#1578;&#1610;&#1606;&#1607; &#1575;&#1604;&#1573;&#1606;&#1580;&#1610;&#1604; &#1601;&#1610;&#1607; &#1607;&#1583;&#1609;

&#1608;&#1606;&#1608;&#1585; &#1608;&#1605;&#1589;&#1583;&#1602;&#1575; &#1604;&#1605;&#1575; &#1576;&#1610;&#1606; &#1610;&#1583;&#1610;&#1607; &#1605;&#1606; &#1575;&#1604;&#1578;&#1608;&#1585;&#1610;&#1577; &#1608;&#1607;&#1583;&#1609;

&#1608;&#1605;&#1608;&#1593;&#1592;&#1577; &#1604;&#1604;&#1605;&#1578;&#1602;&#1610;&#1606;

You are overlooking the fact that “feehi” (in Him) is a masculine, singular, personal pronoun.
This, then, can only apply to the subject of this ayah, which happens to be Jesus Christ.

You have just hand-picked another Koranic ayah that confirms that Jesus is The Light.

Now….for 4.174…

&#1610;&#1571;&#1610;&#1607;&#1575; &#1575;&#1604;&#1606;&#1575;&#1587; &#1602;&#1583; &#1580;&#1575;&#1569;&#1603;&#1605; &#1576;&#1585;&#1607;&#1606; &#1605;&#1606; &#1585;&#1576;&#1603;&#1605; &#1608;&#1571;&#1606;&#1586;&#1604;&#1606;&#1575;

&#1573;&#1604;&#1610;&#1603;&#1605; &#1606;&#1608;&#1585;&#1575; &#1605;&#1576;&#1610;&#1606;&#1575;

Ya ayyuha alnnasu qad jaakum burhanun min rabbikum waanzalna ilaykum nooran mubeenan

4.174 O! You the people, truly He came to you, convincing proof from your Lord, and we sent down to you clear light.

4.174 encapsulates the ayahs leading-up to it (as they are all connected via the copulative particles of “wa” and “fa”)…and informs us that “He came down to you”…not only that, but He came as “convincing proof from your Lord”…

Well…who is He….?

Let’s look at the first highlighted word and see what it reveals to us…

&#1606;&#1608;&#1585;&#1575;= “nooran”

“nooran” definition:

Singular Noun. Light; whatever it be; or the rays thereof. That which manifests things, and shows to the eyes their true or real state. He made to give light; to shine; or to shine brightly. One of the names of “allah”.

It comes from the root “nara” (nun-waw-ra), which means to emit fire or light, shine, sparkle, irritate, vex or provoke war, create heat. A tree and a plant blossomed, or flowered. It (seed produce) attained to maturity.

References:
An Arabic-English Lexicon, E.W. Lane, volume eight, pp. 2864 - 2866
The Dictionary of the Holy Qur’an, 1st edition, Abdul Mannan Omar pp. 582 - 583
A Dictionary and Glossary of the Koran, John Penrice, p. 152
Concordance of the Koran, Gustav Flugel, pp. 200 - 201

Occurrences of “nooran” in the Koran: 9
Locations: 4.174, 6.91, 6.122, 10.5, 24.40, 42.52, 57.13, 57.28, 71.16

Observe the Koranic usages…
  • 10.5…“allah” made moon light
  • 6.91…Moses is a Light
  • 6.122…He was dead, resurrected, He is the Light
  • 24.40… “allah” directs Light
  • 42.52…Spirit is the Light
  • 57.13…seek for Light
  • 57.28…fear “allah” & obey his messenger (Jesus); He is the Light…
  • 71.16…“allah” made moon light
Thus…as you can verify for yourself, “nooran” never once represents the “injeel”.

Not once.

In fact, “nooran” can only refer to Jesus in at least two of the other Koranic usages.

Further still…“nooran” is one of the names of “allah”!

Thus…

Please inform us exactly how “allah” is sent down (anzalna)…:shrug:

How can the Lord send down "allah"...?
does anyone else agree with this falsehood and want to waste their breath answering this nonsense. :D

Muffled

Jesus in me
Mujahid Mohammed said:
does anyone else agree with this falsehood and want to waste their breath answering this nonsense. :D

Yes. Because in essence the Gospel and the guidance and light are one and the same. Moses gave us a book, Mohammed gave us a book but Jesus gives us himself.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Muffled said:
Yes. Because in essence the Gospel and the guidance and light are one and the same. Moses gave us a book, Mohammed gave us a book but Jesus gives us himself.

This is, and always has been an impasse - which will never be resolved. I have been a member here for well over two years, and I dread to think how many threads such as this one have gone endlessly in circles.

I am, a trinitian, and have tried to explain the idea of the trinity to Muslims, who (understandably) do not accept the concept. The Muslim view of Jesus is very different from ours; there is nothing to do but accept that fact, and agree to disagree.

Apple Pie

Mujahid Mohammed said:

As it is...it stands exegetically unrefuted...along with Jesus being his Son...:)

Apple Pie

michel said:
This is, and always has been an impasse - which will never be resolved. I have been a member here for well over two years, and I dread to think how many threads such as this one have gone endlessly in circles.

The theme of this thread is Jesus being called his Son, as described in 4.171...which can exegetically be demonstrated to be factual by simply looking to the original classic Arabic in which the ayah was penned.

Now...if we pull-in a few of the subsequent ayahs around 4.171, we now obtain even more evidence for Jesus' divinity...as in 4.174 where Jesus is called "The Light"...as exegetically detailed...and....as coped from the Biblical Gospels...

I am, a trinitian, and have tried to explain the idea of the trinity to Muslims, who (understandably) do not accept the concept.

Same here...

The reason that they reject the idea is because they can't be bothered with the systematic exegetical study of their scripture set. They simply let islam do the interpreting for them...they don't want to look for the truth themselves....they are followers...not leaders...

As it is, 4.171 along with proclaiming that Jesus is his Son, also proclaims and accurately describes the concept of the Biblical Trinity...of which, Islam has mis-interpreted (no surprise here!)...

The Muslim view of Jesus is very different from ours; there is nothing to do but accept that fact, and agree to disagree.

If there is disagreement, then thats why there are discussion boards to talk about the differences...and, if it can be demonstrated beyond any reasonable doubt that the Jesus of the Koran is actually the same one copied from the pages of the Holy Bible, then we have just placed Islam on its ear.

You guys give too much credence to the writings of fallible men...no, the Holy Books are not God's direct words, they are men's words...men's spirit interacted with the spirit of God...but...it was then translated by conditioned fallible minds, hence you have various religions...all are somewhat correct.

Jesus was man...the spirit of God interacted with his spirit during his baptism...he, like all children of God...sons and daughters...was the "Son Of God". See http://urantia.us

Supernaturalism does not exist on earth, it is against God's infallible laws of nature.

Apple Pie

PeaceSeeker said:
You guys give too much credence to the writings of fallible men...no, the Holy Books are not God's direct words, they are men's words...men's spirit interacted with the spirit of God...but...it was then translated by conditioned fallible minds, hence you have various religions...all are somewhat correct.

Jesus was man...the spirit of God interacted with his spirit during his baptism...he, like all children of God...sons and daughters...was the "Son Of God". See http://urantia.us

Supernaturalism does not exist on earth, it is against God's infallible laws of nature.

Can you please relate your mantra to how 4.171 states that Jesus is his Son...and how Jesus is divine...?

Thanks...

Ezzedean

Surah 4 Verse 171
O people of the Book!
Commit no excesses
In your religion: nor say
Of God aught but the truth.
Christ Jesus the son of Mary
Was (no more than)
A messanger of Allah,
And his Word,
Which he bestowed on Mary
And a spirit proceeding
from Him: so believe
In God and his Messangers.
Say not "Trinity": desist.

Christ'a attributes are mentioned: (1) that he was the son of a women, Mary, and therfore a man; (2) but a messanger, a man with a mission from God, and therfore entitled to honour; (3) a Word bestowed on Mary, for he was created by Gods word "Be" (kun) and he was; 3:59; (4) a spirit proceeding from God, but not God: his life and his mission were more limited than in the case of some other Messangers, though we must pay equal honour to him as a Prophet of God. The doctrines of Trinity, equality with God, and sonship, are blasphame. God is independant of all needs and has no need of a son to manage His affairs.

Apple Pie

Ezzedean said:
Surah 4 Verse 171
O people of the Book!
Commit no excesses
In your religion: nor say
Of God aught but the truth.
Christ Jesus the son of Mary
Was (no more than)
A messanger of Allah,
And his Word,
Which he bestowed on Mary
And a spirit proceeding
from Him: so believe
In God and his Messangers.
Say not "Trinity": desist.

Please show us the Arabic word(s) rendered as "no more than"...

Also...please show us the Arabic word rendered as "Trinity"...

Christ'a attributes are mentioned: (1) that he was the son of a women, Mary, and therfore a man; (2) but a messanger, a man with a mission from God, and therfore entitled to honour; (3) a Word bestowed on Mary, for he was created by Gods word "Be" (kun) and he was; 3:59;

3.59 states that Jesus was uncreated.

Only through the Islamic machine does 3.59 morph into something other than what was originally intended.

(4) a spirit proceeding from God, but not God:

How can "allah" contain a Spirit when he is only one "allah"....?

his life and his mission were more limited than in the case of some other Messangers, though we must pay equal honour to him as a Prophet of God. The doctrines of Trinity, equality with God, and sonship, are blasphame.

Not according to the Koran.

God is independant of all needs and has no need of a son to manage His affairs.

Why is it that when it comes to the creation ex-nihilo ayahs in the Koran, the Son (i.e. the Word) is always the subject matter?

Seems that "allah" needs help in creating things...

Ezzedean

Apple Pie said:
Please show us the Arabic word(s) rendered as "no more than"...

Also...please show us the Arabic word rendered as "Trinity"...

Some translations will say Trinity, some will say Three, some will say More than one... In the end it has the same message.

Apple Pie said:
3.59 states that Jesus was uncreated.

Only through the Islamic machine does 3.59 morph into something other than what was originally intended.

Surah 3:59

The Simultude of Jesus
Before God is that of Adam;
He created him from dust,
Then said to him: "Be"
And he was

After a description of the high position which Jesus occupies as a prophet, we have repudiation of the dogma that he was God, or anything more than a man. If it is said he was born without a human father, Adam was also so born without either a human father or mother. As far as our physical bodies are concerned they are mere dust. In God's sight Jesus was as dust just as Adam was or humanity is. The greatness of Jesus arose from the Divine command "Be": for after that he was- more than dust- a great spiritual leader and teacher.

Please show me where it says that Jesus was uncreated Apple... I don't see where you are coming from?

Apple Pie said:
How can "allah" contain a Spirit when he is only one "allah"....?

No one doubts the Spirit of God... people doubt that God is Father and Son to Himself... it has absolutely no logic behind it. I can be an athlete, a student, and a man, but I most definitely can't be my own son and my own father. Christ often watched and prayed, as a humble worshipper of God: and his agony in the Garden of Gethsemane was full of human dignity, suffering, and self-humiliation.

Apple Pie said:
Not according to the Koran.

Not according to the Koran Jesus was a teacher, prophet, spritual leader, so and so forth?

Well I just produced a verse from the Koran that claims he was: 4:171. I suggest you check out 2:136, 2:87, 2:253, 3:52, 3:84, 3:45, 4:163...... I could keep going, but I think you get the point.

Apple Pie said:
Seems that "allah" needs help in creating things...

Surah 46:4

Say "Do you see
What it is ye invoke
Besides God? Show me
What it is they
Have created on earth,
Or have they a share
In the Heavens?
Bring me a Book
before this,
Or any remnant of knowledge
(Ye may have) if ye
Are telling the Truth.

Apple Pie

Ezzedean said:
Some translations will say Trinity, some will say Three, some will say More than one... In the end it has the same message.

You did not show us the Arabic word rendered as "no more than"...you simply googled a popular English rendering.

We would be most interested if you could somehow produce the Arabic word rendered as "no more than"...in 4.171...

Surah 3:59

The Simultude of Jesus
Before God is that of Adam;
He created him from dust,
Then said to him: "Be"
And he was

After a description of the high position which Jesus occupies as a prophet, we have repudiation of the dogma that he was God, or anything more than a man. If it is said he was born without a human father, Adam was also so born without either a human father or mother.

Adam was never considered deity.

Jesus is....in both the Holy Bible as well as the Koran...

As far as our physical bodies are concerned they are mere dust. In God's sight Jesus was as dust just as Adam was or humanity is. The greatness of Jesus arose from the Divine command "Be": for after that he was- more than dust- a great spiritual leader and teacher.

Please show me where it says that Jesus was uncreated Apple... I don't see where you are coming from?

Observe the full exegesis of 3.59 which irrefutable demonstrates that Jesus always existed...

http://www.wikiislam.com/wiki/Jesus_was_not_created

No one doubts the Spirit of God... people doubt that God is Father and Son to Himself... it has absolutely no logic behind it.

I can be an athlete, a student, and a man, but I most definitely can't be my own son and my own father. Christ often watched and prayed, as a humble worshipper of God: and his agony in the Garden of Gethsemane was full of human dignity, suffering, and self-humiliation.

It makes perfect sense for a creator God that created time itself - one that exists outside of the four space/time dimensions that you and I can experience.

Not according to the Koran Jesus was a teacher, prophet, spritual leader, so and so forth?

Well I just produced a verse from the Koran that claims he was: 4:171. I suggest you check out 2:136, 2:87, 2:253, 3:52, 3:84, 3:45, 4:163...... I could keep going, but I think you get the point.

You can't seem to back up the ayahs that you posit...

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Apple Pie said:
How would you know when you don't even understand Arabic...?

So Arberry "Didn't understand what he was trying to translate?"

Is this now your position?

You criticized the other mainstream scholars we were using (Ali, Pickthall, etc)... So after reading some Arberry translations I decided to take your advice. The sad thing is his rendering does not coincide with your rendering. So now are you condeming the Arberry translation, the scholar YOU cited? I keep asking you this question and you keep dodging it.

Apple Pie said:
It never once applies to the "Injeel"....like you want it too...

What you should be asking yourself is why Arberry position (Whom you've cited) keeps coinciding with my position on this matter.

(Arberry Translation)

5:44
Surely We sent down the Torah, wherein is guidance and light; thereby the Prophets who had surrendered themselves gave judgment for those of Jewry, as did the masters and the rabbis, following such portion of God's Book as they were given to keep and were witnesses to. So fear not men, but fear you Me; and sell not My signs for a little price. Whoso judges not according to What God has sent down - they are the unbelievers.

5:45
And therein We prescribed for them: 'A life for a life, an eye for an eye, a nose for a nose, an ear for an ear, a tooth for a tooth, and for wounds retaliation'; but whosoever forgoes it as a freewill offering, that shall be for him an expiation. Whoso judges not according to WHAT God has sent down -- they are the evildoers.

5:47
So let the People of the Gospel judge according to what God has sent down therein. Whosoever judges not according to WHAT God has sent down -there are truly ungodly.

5:48
And We have sent down to thee the Book with the truth, confirming the Book that was before it, and assuring it. So judge between them according to WHAT God has sent down, and do not follow their caprices, to forsake the truth that has come to thee. To every one of you We have appointed a right way and an open road. If God had willed, He would have made you one nation; but that He may try you in what has come to you. So be you forward in good works; unto God shall you return, all together; and He will tell you of that whereon you were at variance.

5:49
And judge between them according to WHAT God has sent down, and do not follow their caprices, and beware of them lest they tempt thee away from any of WHAT God has sent down to thee. But if they turn their backs, know that God desires only to smite them for some sin they have committed; surely, many men are ungodly.

It's all about the books baby. The (WHAT) that is mentioned is a book or books. It didn't say (Who we sent down). You keep picking and choosing verses and mis-understanding them. Your trying to associate words (in these ayahs) to show that the light is a man (Jesus particularly) where the surrounding ayahs is clearly showing you it is in referrence to books.

Apple Pie said:
[Show us the Arabic in which you think he is correct...good luck...

If Arberry's (The scholar you cited) tanslation is to be accepted then I have already shown you what is correct. Although worded slightly different his translation is no different than the other scholars.

Apple Pie said:
Where's the Arabic to buttress your position....or...can't you be bothered...?

DONE....

I did it with the scholar you cited. (Please review earlier postings)

Apple Pie said:
Too bad you can't read Arabic.

I read a little bit, but I do rely on those who are fluent in the language and when it comes to the translated versions of the Quran I do rely on those who are certified to translate it. I haven't been able to accept your rendering because of these facts. You may speak it or read it but your rendering is FAR different than those who have translated it. Your rendering is even different than the scholar you cite. And I and still waiting to see your certification. I'm also waiting to see the name of the scholar whom you say was responsible for the translation of 4:171 you've been using. I asked you for their name so that I can reasearch the credentials of him/her. If you're going to cite that person then I need to know why their rendering should be trusted.

Do you have that information for me yet?

Apple Pie said:
You seem to be on an "Arberry" kick...

Well, I have YOU to thank for that now don't I?

What's the problem? Do you NOT agree with his rendering?

Apple Pie said:
Go ahead and prove to us that "feehi" refers to a book rather than Jesus Christ.

DONE.....

Please review the surrounding ayahs that Arberry translates and read them in its full context and maybe, just maybe you will understand.

Apple Pie said:
You sound angry....

You're lost in translaton again. I'm not angry. On the contrary, I find it all quite amusing...:beach:

Mujahid Mohammed

He gave us Injeel also his gospel. this is what the quran teaches us and if you are to use it as reference all things stated within its proper context is relevant.

for the Message is complete and all a neccessary part of itself. Every word, sentence, chapter has relevance to something else.

And this initial question was in reference to the purposeful mistranslation.

Mujahid Mohammed

Muffled said:
Not to mention the question was in relation to the purposeful mistranslation of the text to try and fit Mr.Pies context within the verse.