• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Konichiwa, Hola, Hello Everyone

Gavin Luckenbach

Contrite Candidate-- Coddled Catechumen
Okay, just was confused by the Japanese greeting....no worries.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off as coldly replying. I was just trying to be "quirky" and multilingual, catch attention yaknow ;).

It may also be that, I must confess, that I am a passive weeb/Japanophile, and also a fan of Hispanic art/history/culture -- I could of chosen a host of other languages, maybe more obscure, but they're basically off the top of my head for a dumb title XD. I didn't want to just title it "HELLO," or something like that.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I have had a similar experience, although I have a deep appreciation for the tradition and history of the Anglican communion-- not so much a fan of many of the churches' (especially Episcopalian/American) openness to modernity or overly-politicized compromise of biblical teachings. As I began to look into the faith I naturally went about looking into different denominations and theologies and how the truth is so often sacrificed for what feels better or is most convenient to how people want to live their lives.
Yes, that was basically my experience too. They excused way too much wandering off in directions that were not scriptural IMO. It just felt wrong and I could not accept the justification.
It wasn't until I started studying the Bible for myself that I realized where most of their doctrines originated....and it wasn't from scripture. :(

I have to ask what drew you to Roman Catholicism, since most of the unscriptural doctrines I was having difficulty with were formulated initially by them and carried over into Protestantism.

One of the things that began to open my heart to Jesus Christ was very much my dismay and discomfort with modern life, industrial capitalism, and angst surrounding more and more what made me consider the consequences of evil in the world. Prior to that I was very much a moral relativist and simply tried to ignore most suffering and unpleasant things, I took very little seriously but couldn't avoid the unavoidable evil both within me and around me. I lied to myself and others, ignoring anything bad-- or pursued lackluster things and interests to give myself meaning.

Yes, a troubled conscience can seek all manner of distraction from the awful truth. We have to have the courage to explore outside of the box, like Jesus' first century disciples did. Their worst enemies were those of their own faith...even their own families. (Matthew 10:34-39)

It started by reading the Bible and realizing the deep and difficult Truth of Christ's teachings. Alongside a better understanding of God through Christ, better theology (I was essentially a pantheist) and a more linear view of time-- I have begun to see the urgency of making things right, the need for a Redeemer, and the responsibility of picking up my own Cross daily (however flawed and lacking that may often be, hence still the need for faith in our Saviour.)

I was so put off by the teachings of Christendom and their conduct (that was in conflict with Christ's teachings) that I went on my own wandering looking for those who actually obeyed what he taught....it was a fruitless search......until one day, I believe God found me.

Some of the stumbling blocks that stood out for me were....

1) The church's involvement in politics. Jesus said we should be "no part of the world" because he said his kingdom was nothing to do with this world (John 8:36) and that satan was in control of it. (1 John 5:19)
He also said that we should "love our enemies and pray for them" (Matthew 5:43-44) The churches were up to their necks in whatever their governments were doing in the political arena. In the second world war e.g. nations were fighting against their own "Christian" brothers because of some misguided patriotism, that apparently cancelled out their Christianity. (1 John 4:20-21)
How can a disciple of Christ see his own brother as an enemy?

2) The teachings of the churches regarding the very nature of God and his son never sat well with me.
Nowhere did I ever see Jesus call himself "God".....he only ever identified himself as "the son of God".
Jesus is an "only begotten son" meaning that he needed a "begetter"....someone who caused his existence. This is why God and his firstborn, are pictured as Father and son, not two parts of one entity. Jesus called his Father "the only true God" without including himself. (John 17:3) John 1:18 tells us that "no man has ever seen God"...how many thousands of people saw Jesus?
Placing the son on equal footing with the Father is actually blasphemous....a direct breach of the first Commandment. (Exodus 20:3) There is no trinity in the Bible, nor is it seen in any other "Abrahamic" faith. But I will find trinities of gods in pagan religions.

3) What about the adoption of other pagan concepts like an immortal soul departing from fleshly bodies at death?
Is this a Christian teaching? The Bible does not ever speak of immortal souls just as there is no teaching of a hell of eternal fiery torment. Both of these beliefs however, are also found in pagan religions, but not in any teaching of Jesus Christ, whom we have to remember was a Jew.

What did the Jewish scripture reveal about the condition of the dead? (Ecclesiastes 9:5-6, 10; Ezekiel 18:4)
And Jesus' description of "gehenna" is not hell. The Jews knew what "gehenna" was but Christendom translates the words "hades and gehenna" as "hell".....but there is no such place in the Bible.

There are many more things that led me away from Christendom's teachings....but these would be the main ones. In all these teachings that are complete departures from what Christ taught, it was Roman Catholicism that formulated and promoted them. She is the mother of many daughters. But this was actually foretold by Jesus and his apostles. (2 Peter 2:1-3; 1 Timothy 4:1-3; Luke 6:46; Matthew 13:36-42)

Finally and most importantly, his incomprehensible Love and mercy, and Sorry perhaps this is this is a bit sappy and spiritual for an intellectually oriented forum, but this feeling of excitement and awe for so many incredible mysteries of faith.

There are not enough superlatives when describing God's love and mercy.....any genuine person seeking God will feel this awe and a need for all our legitimate questions to be answered......in a satisfying way that feed the soul....from God's word.....not leading us into false religious ideas, adopted from paganism.

We each must take this journey and our own hearts will lead us to the truth if we genuinely seek it. God knows us and he will invite us into his family. (John 6:65)

Can I ask you what you see as God's purpose for the earth and humanity upon it? What does the future hold for us and how can we know?

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
Hello all. I was on these forums quite a few years ago but have since given up on my account.

I have a very mismatched and...flip-floppy background with religion. I grew up in a non-denominational Christian household, was baptized at seven at a non-denom evangelical church (that is another story, of which I am often troubled by what I can and cannot remember from it), but left (in my heart and mind) soon after.

Throughout my pre-teen, high school and teenage years I was at first very edgy, but eventually took interest in spiritual and religious things (still in an edgy teenager kind of way) and was interested mainly in Dharmic and neo-pagan religions. I still have a basic understanding and appreciation for some schools of Vedanta and contemporary devotional Hinduism, as well as a bit of an understanding of Buddhist (even Mahayana) metaphysics. I have much less admiration for my neo-pagan days, as with any way of looking "cool," and the more generally shallow and ridiculous, misled, and almost solely aesthetic draw, that I personally had to it.

College has forced me to think through things that I once found difficult, and as a result has me reevaluating the multitude of ideas I used to shun. Over the summer I began reading the Bible largely out of an interest in Liberation theology and Leftist politics (strange, but God's grace really seems to work in incredible ways) and through an opened heart and mind, looking at things outside of my old "black metal neopagan" lens, the Truth and Love of Jesus Christ was presented to me. I'm astonished at how much more there is for me to learn, and I really cannot attribute most aspects of this conversion to my own doing, but to God alone. As it stands, I am growing my faith and relationship with Jesus. I have a lot to learn, confess, and do.

Being drawn to tradition and historical claims has led me to RCIA classes at a local Catholic church. If I had no historical background, and if most of the people I know were not non-believers--- given my conversion experience-- I may have had been theologically inclined towards Calvinist or Baptist theological views of justification... but perhaps it was just traditionally...Augustinian?

I'm still very interested in casual dialogue between other faiths, and fellow Christians of various denominational persuasions. My main interests are comparative religion (within reason and genuine scholarship), Medieval mysticism, Church history, epistemology (especially important when it comes to comparative and inter-faith dialogue), and practical spiritual questions. Hoping to make some new friends!
Welcome back