• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kinda ticks me off

I hate it when people bunch up all the chistianity stuff, like the bibles. and the use it against us and it make no sence, for instence: i say the bible doesn't contradict and then someone will say 2 different verses from 2 differnt bibles and say they contradict. and as far as my religion im christian, not katholic, not mormon, not unitarian, im just a christian my bible is the old testiment and the new testiment, no added books.

doesn't that tick you off christians(not katholic, not mormon, not unitarian)?
good day!

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Err, I don't think I understand. By books do you mean translations?

And it's spelled Catholic...

robtex

Veteran Member
Dan what is a Christian to you and which of the scores of Bibles in circulation do you see as valid? You do realize Catholics are the first Christians don't you. If there was no catholics there would be no Christian's period. That includes whatever denomination you consider yourself.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
robtex said:
Dan what is a Christian to you and which of the scores of Bibles in circulation do you see as valid? You do realize Catholics are the first Christians don't you. If there was no catholics there would be no Christian's period. That includes whatever denomination you consider yourself.

Some of us would dispute that.

James

bigvindaloo

JamesThePersian said:
Some of us would dispute that.

James

The "dispute" is the problem. People interested in Christianity need a common ground to digest. Christianity is currently a smorgasbord where I can have this or that.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
DanDanTheCoffeyMan said:
I hate it when people bunch up all the chistianity stuff, like the bibles. and the use it against us and it make no sence, for instence: i say the bible doesn't contradict and then someone will say 2 different verses from 2 differnt bibles and say they contradict. and as far as my religion im christian, not katholic, not mormon, not unitarian, im just a christian my bible is the old testiment and the new testiment, no added books.

good day!

If you're not Unitarian, how come you're the "coffee man"?

Just asking.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
bigvindaloo said:
The "dispute" is the problem. People interested in Christianity need a common ground to digest. Christianity is currently a smorgasbord where I can have this or that.

The dispute in question was over robtex's view of Church history, not anything to do with Christian belief. In actual fact there is no valid way to argue that Catholics (in the modern sense of the word being synonymous with Roman Catholics) are the first Christians. We, for instance, have an equally good historical claim to being the original Church. Any attempt to show whether the RCC or Orthodox Church is really the original must rely on theology as well, not simply history.

James

PureX

Veteran Member
The act of reading involves interpreting: the interpretation of the symbols on the page. It's possible for two people to read the same paragraph in the same bible and one may interpret it as being self-contradictory while the other may not.

I have noticed that often, Christians want to view their bible as a foundation for truth, and thus do NOT want to see it as relative or subjective. But the truth is that any book with well over 35,000 separate written statements, by hundreds of different authors, is bound to be relatively and subjectively interpreted. And there is bound to be disagreement as to what these statements intend to imply.

You may not see any contradictions, there, but I think it's quite unreasonable to presume that no one else should, either.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
DanDanTheCoffeyMan said:
good day!

why did you differentiate between groups inside of Christianity?