• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Killing the apostate! Islamic?? Whats the source? Whats there to consider?

Niblo

Premium Member
In my opinion you contradict yourself here, you say in the hadith the man gave his allegiance pledge to Muhammad, in which case Muhammad had the authority to break it.

Also, if Muhammad had no authority to speak for Allah why did Muhammad break the pledge in the end?

Hello, Daniel.

There is no contradiction here.

The pledge was given to the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) ‘for Islam’. In other words, he was merely a witness. It is by this witnessed pledge that the Bedouin became a Muslim.

I did not say that the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) had no authority to speak for Allāh (subḥānahu ūta'āla). I said he had no authority to grant the Bedouin’s request; to negate the promises this man had made; promises given, ultimately, to Allāh (subḥānahu ūta'āla) Himself. That is quite a different matter.

Please do not twist my words. This is the act one bereft of argument.

Muhammed did not ‘break the pledge’. He merely allowed an apostate to leave Medina unharmed (‘There is no compulsion in religion’). The pledge was broken by the Bedouin himself.

Peace.

Last edited:

firedragon

Veteran Member
Hello, Daniel.

The pledge was given to the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) ‘for Islam’. In other words, he was merely a witness. It is by this witnessed pledge that the Bedouin became a Muslim.

I did not say that the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) had no authority to speak for Allāh (subḥānahu ūta'āla). I said he had no authority to grant the Bedouin’s request; to negate the promises this man had made; promises given, ultimately, to Allāh (subḥānahu ūta'āla) Himself. That is quite a different matter.

Muhammed did not ‘break the pledge’. He merely allowed an apostate to leave Medina unharmed (‘There is no compulsion in religion’). The pledge was broken by the Bedouin himself.

Peace.

'Sometimes, silence is the best answer for a fool.'(Alī ibn Abī Tālib‎)

danieldemol

Premium Member
Hello, Daniel.

Peace.
Even assuming there to be no contradiction (which i consider dubious), you are just deferring the problem of compulsion in this world to Allah, that is, you appear to be saying that Allah said let there be no compulsion in this world, then when Muhammad was asked for the pledge to be broken, Allah authorised/allowed Muhammad to deny the request three times, thereby generating compulsion in this world.

That would simply make Allah a hypocrite (God forbid).

Niblo

Premium Member

Hello Daniel,

The bone in your throat is the fact that this Bedouin was permitted to walk free, and was not killed for his apostasy.

It would appear, from your behaviour, that you are one of those folk who simply cannot permit truth (in this case, that the Qur'an and the
Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) permit no temporal punishment for apostasy) to stand in the way of a cherished prejudice.

There is no purpose in continuing this discussion; so I thank you for your contribution, and wish you well.

Peace.