• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Killing IS justified

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Yes. However the question in the OP is not about a court system.
There was no question.......

The Thread Title:- Killing IS justified
The challenge:- Your mission, should you choose to accept it: Prove it.

.......... you haven't come anywhere near.

[-More so not every court system has the same idea about evidence and laws. For example in Florida I could action merely based on an B&E. In Canada I can't. So tossing out "court" means nothing unless one specifies the court system.
How else are actions such as 'killing' justified by any other means?
Why does the OP talk of 'justified'?

Name the nation then I will talk about "courts". Keeping in mind "courts" have nothing to do with the OP.
So what does the OP 'have to do with'?
Who justifies such actions where you live?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I don't even own a gun.
So why not improve the security and safety in your life with the simplest 'loss prevention' and 'safety' projects?

You see... for all this talk about how I may feel justified in killing a would-be killer, I am actually a very peaceful person - for the very reasons I have described. I am not willing to put out into the world that I think it is okay to steal, kill, rape, etc. and I find people who are willing to do so deplorable. I'm also a vegan, out of respect for the lives of the animals involved in the deplorable ways we farm them these days.
Do you think that I 'put out' that crime is ok?
So where does this get you in this thread?
I have arrested/detained thousands of criminals in my life.

And in the end, I give my fellow man the benefit of the doubt that they will not do these sorts of things.
That's really sweet of you.
What a crime prevention nightmare, your police chiefs must be absolutely frantic at how some folks where you are leave their bloomin' property and person more open to loss and hurt, and then come screaming to them for instant attention when it goes wrong.
Where I live Chief Constables demand that business, retail and private property gets off its bottom and actually does something to secure itself.

But, reality being what it is, I've thought about it, and believe me, if they do, they'd better hope they brought some coward's way of dealing with me (like a gun). I've always had at the back of my mind the idea that if my life were truly on the line, I wouldn't have a single inhibition getting in my way. It's just something I know about myself. To the point that, the person I am battling might get quite a shock when I bite the digits of their fingers off, chew them up a bit and then spit them in their face. Or punch their throat repeatedly until they don't even have the musculature left in there to draw a breath. Or if I have them down, drop a knee onto their skull a few times as hard and heavy as I possibly can. Call me naive...
Oh FGS, just improve your loss prevention and safety...... then you won't have to live with such increased risks. One example in many: Cars are much more secure these days, but if you folks are going to trust your fellows and leave the keys in the ignition while you shop then that's just daft.
If you love folks, please don't tempt them.

but I don't feel I need your advice, your judgments, and I simply cannot bring myself to the thought of using something so cowardly as a gun. It is just an affront to my most core sensibilities. I don't balk at the violence of guns... violence is violence, and hand-to-hand is actually much more brutal, in my opinion. It's just the cowardly nature I feel a person armed with a gun has no choice but to admit about themselves. It has, quite frankly, always been quite disgusting to me.
Then don't listen, but your ideas about response to criminal attempts are pretty shocking............

You have previously suggested that you believe in stealing from thieves, and the killing of 'maybe murderers'.
Just read your post 69.......... oh heck, I'll save you the trouble of going back, here you are....
V-G:-You're a thief? Don't come crying to me when someone steals their stuff (or more) back from you.
V-G:You're a murderer? Don't come crying to me when someone tries to kill you before you kill them.

......... yes? So would not waste too much of my time in trying to suggest the common sense of safety and security improvement to you......... I just hope that other readers might click on some of the simple ideas.

And if........ if, someday in some dreadful scenario you happened to hurt or kill a violent attacker, it really would be helpful if you could show that you:
Had improved your security to deter such incidents.
Had called out the most simple deterrents such as 'The police are coming!' or whatever.
Had done everything possible to put the person/s off.
That you were terrified for your own and others lives.
That everything that you did was 'the last thing possible'.

'The people' want to support people who had to fight for themselves, but it helps them to justify all if they can see that the defender was 'reasonable'.

You've just never had to do it. I'm slightly ahead of you on that one.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
No.

I yam already more sensibler than you is
Even if that is damning with faint praise.

Securing my home is not always the same as
securing myself, of course. For that, well, I
do have a boyfriend for when I am out, besides
which as the PTSD fades a bit, I am still hypervigilant.
I dont think it sensible to be more so.

Anyhow, in NYC, guns are outlawed, so only
outlaws have guns.

And, in the event, my flat is extremely secure,
probably more so than yours.

Ya gorblimey victim-blamin' bloke! (did i say that right?) :D

You've described your flat.
I believe that your boyfriend is fairly formidable.
I guess that you are a vigilant person.

See? I can be polite too.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Not a very artful or apt way to avoid accountability
for your blame-the-victim attitude.
That's your perception.

I don't think that folks who want to just kill criminal attempts are victims. I think that in a % of cases they are murderers.

Audie

Veteran Member
That's your perception.

I don't think that folks who want to just kill criminal attempts are victims. I think that in a % of cases they are murderers.

I think you are utterly failing to think at all.

I assume you mean "kill someone attempting
a violent crime" rather than killing an attempt.

An example of not thinking, on your part?

Of course they are not victims, they prevented the crime.

You may not have thought of that.

Your guilty verdict prior to hearing any of the
facts is suitable for North Korea, not a civilized
society.

A Vestigial Mote

So why not improve the security and safety in your life with the simplest 'loss prevention' and 'safety' projects?
If someone is that intent on getting in, they will. Which is why I went with the exaggeration of "titanium house" if you remember. Besides that, I am lucky enough to live in an area where people don't feel the need to lock themselves up tight, huddle together and "pray for the best." Thanks for your concern... you can say whatever you want, but I don't need you telling me what I should be doing, or how I should be reacting to my community, etc. I'm a big boy, and I will make those judgments on my own.

Do you think that I 'put out' that crime is ok?
No, did I say this?

So where does this get you in this thread?
It's a statement that, while I may not be naive enough to believe that "killing is never justified", I'm also not looking to ever have to kill anyone unless I feel it is absolutely necessary. And I will be the one to make that judgment if the time ever comes, which I obviously hope it doesn't.

And? This is supposed to make me understand that your advice about the odds of what is "actually going on" if/when I ever have a run-in with an attacker intent on killing me is like the "best ever?" You also keep blabbing on about how I "take no precautions" and make it sound like I leave my business and property hanging out everywhere for all would-be criminals to peruse and get a look at. I don't "leave keys in locks", I close up shop at night, making sure everything's locked up, My yard is fenced in and I have two monstrous dogs (one lab-pit and one american bulldog) who would honestly love the chance to gnaw on an intruder's face. You can keep equivocating me with straw men, positions I don't hold, actions I don't take... but I'll warn you that it will only make me less likely to even be willing to read or listen to your crap.

That's really sweet of you.
You know... I can't help sometimes but feel that attitudes like yours, setting up automatic distrust of people, only estranges people from one another further. It's been going on for years now. People staying more to themselves. People going outside into their neighborhoods less and less often. I find my attitude/stance is "sweeter." Do you honestly think yours is? You'd probably say you're "a realist." Well... good for you. Good for you. Why don't you go tell everybody about it and pat yourself on the back?

What a crime prevention nightmare, your police chiefs must be absolutely frantic at how some folks where you are leave their bloomin' property and person more open to loss and hurt, and then come screaming to them for instant attention when it goes wrong.
You know who doesn't "[go] screaming to [the authorities] for instant attention when it goes wrong"? Me. I don't. I had my garage burnt down in an act of arson a few years back. I gave a statement to the Fire department, but other than that... stuff happens. You think I believe in the "power" of "the authorities?" Please. I'm glad they're out there, sure. But in the end, I know I'm alone. Doesn't bother me. Does it bother you?

Where I live Chief Constables demand that business, retail and private property gets off its bottom and actually does something to secure itself.
Sounds like a crappy place to live. How many people around you would you estimate have the same attitude toward their neighbors that you do? Just curious.

Oh FGS, just improve your loss prevention and safety...... then you won't have to live with such increased risks.
Oh FGS... get off my back. You know barely anything about me. That high horse you're riding is a damn pony. Get it straight.

One example in many: Cars are much more secure these days, but if you folks are going to trust your fellows and leave the keys in the ignition while you shop then that's just daft.
If you love folks, please don't tempt them.
What the hell are you rambling on about here? "you folks" are leaving the keys in the ignition while we shop? I'm part of "you folks?" Since when? Please just stop assigning actions into my life that I don't take. It's pointless. Entirely pointless. I don't even know where your mind is at with some of this stuff. Go talk to people who leave their keys in their car or something.

Then don't listen, but your ideas about response to criminal attempts are pretty shocking............
Again... don't need your advice, won't flinch at your judgments. You got any more? Just get it off your chest now... fair warning, I'm going to ignore most of it, because it doesn't even pertain to me (as stated above), but you can say whatever it is you want to say. You've obviously got some chips to get off your shoulders.

You have previously suggested that you believe in stealing from thieves, and the killing of 'maybe murderers'.
Here you are again, willing to twist words into straw and, when you have enough, form them into the shape of a man. I don't "believe in stealing from thieves" - post #69 was all about recognizing hypocrisy. If someone is willing to kill, then they cannot be surprised if they are killed during an attempt. Can you imagine how stupid someone would have to be to literally be shocked that the person they are trying to stab to death turns around and attacks them with deadly force? I mean... you would have to be some kind of colossal dimwit... just off the charts levels of dumb. Same with a thief complaining about something being stolen from them. What an asshat. Couldn't be much dumber than that, in my opinion. That's what it is all about. If nobody steals from anybody, then do we even have this problem? Nope. And that's what I believe in. Don't do it, and don't be hypocritical. Do in the world only what you are willing to have done to you. Done. That's what I said.

Just read your post 69.......... oh heck, I'll save you the trouble of going back, here you are....
V-G:-You're a thief? Don't come crying to me when someone steals their stuff (or more) back from you.
V-G:You're a murderer? Don't come crying to me when someone tries to kill you before you kill them.
If someone is trying to kill you, you are justified in protecting your own life from their taking it. And if in that endeavor of protecting yourself the other person dies, so be it. Does this go against the law? Does it?

And before you get some smug look on your face and go to town typing a bunch of useless crap, I understand that stealing from a thief does go against the law, and I never said that I believe it is okay to steal from anyone. What I said, again, boils down to hypocrisy. Don't go crying about things having been stolen from you if you steal from people yourself. This isn't even the purview of the "law" I'm talking about here. This is whether or not you should be considered an intelligent/rational human being worthy of anyone spending any time on your sorry ***.

......... yes? So would not waste too much of my time in trying to suggest the common sense of safety and security improvement to you......... I just hope that other readers might click on some of the simple ideas.
Yes, please... stop wasting both of our time.

And if........ if, someday in some dreadful scenario you happened to hurt or kill a violent attacker, it really would be helpful if you could show that you:
Had improved your security to deter such incidents.
Had called out the most simple deterrents such as 'The police are coming!' or whatever.
Had done everything possible to put the person/s off.
That you were terrified for your own and others lives.
That everything that you did was 'the last thing possible'.
Believe me, this will be the case. Maybe not the "improved your security to deter such incidents" part... I still don't believe it is ever anyone's fault when they get attacked. It just isn't. When someone did do everything they possibly could think of and still gets attacked... what's that called? Someone who didn't do everything they could is still not culpable in the specific, willful actions of another. You can claim negligence... but what exactly was it the person should have been prepared for? Everything? What if a factory farm near you is spilling so much waste into the nearby water-supply that it supports an algae bloom of epic proportions, and that algae produces as part of its natural cycle a toxin that, when consumed in relatively large quantities, is a health risk. (By the way, this happened in the Northwest Ohio area a few years back). It's the fault of all the people who drink that water, right? They should have been more prepared. My point being - you can't anticipate these things with any amount of precision. How safe is safe enough? Shouldn't people have titanium houses? Automated turrets? Moats filled with crocodiles? You seem to think we're never safe enough. Where do you draw the line?

'The people' want to support people who had to fight for themselves, but it helps them to justify all if they can see that the defender was 'reasonable'.
And if it ever comes to this, I will be found "reasonable", I know this beyond a shadow of a doubt. I don't care what you have to say about me. You're not me.

You've just never had to do it. I'm slightly ahead of you on that one.
Not necessarily something to be proud of.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Killing may be justified, particularly when incurable, painful disease is found.

Or in self-defense, although we should be careful to avoid abuse of that claim.

Audie

Veteran Member
If someone is that intent on getting in, they will. Which is why I went with the exaggeration of "titanium house" if you remember. Besides that, I am lucky enough to live in an area where people don't feel the need to lock themselves up tight, huddle together and "pray for the best." Thanks for your concern... you can say whatever you want, but I don't need you telling me what I should be doing, or how I should be reacting to my community, etc. I'm a big boy, and I will make those judgments on my own.

No, did I say this?

It's a statement that, while I may not be naive enough to believe that "killing is never justified", I'm also not looking to ever have to kill anyone unless I feel it is absolutely necessary. And I will be the one to make that judgment if the time ever comes, which I obviously hope it doesn't.

And? This is supposed to make me understand that your advice about the odds of what is "actually going on" if/when I ever have a run-in with an attacker intent on killing me is like the "best ever?" You also keep blabbing on about how I "take no precautions" and make it sound like I leave my business and property hanging out everywhere for all would-be criminals to peruse and get a look at. I don't "leave keys in locks", I close up shop at night, making sure everything's locked up, My yard is fenced in and I have two monstrous dogs (one lab-pit and one american bulldog) who would honestly love the chance to gnaw on an intruder's face. You can keep equivocating me with straw men, positions I don't hold, actions I don't take... but I'll warn you that it will only make me less likely to even be willing to read or listen to your crap.

You know... I can't help sometimes but feel that attitudes like yours, setting up automatic distrust of people, only estranges people from one another further. It's been going on for years now. People staying more to themselves. People going outside into their neighborhoods less and less often. I find my attitude/stance is "sweeter." Do you honestly think yours is? You'd probably say you're "a realist." Well... good for you. Good for you. Why don't you go tell everybody about it and pat yourself on the back?

You know who doesn't "[go] screaming to [the authorities] for instant attention when it foes wrong"? Me. I don't. I had my garage burnt down in an act of arson a few years back. I gave a statement to the Fire department, but other than that... stuff happens. You think I believe in the "power" of "the authorities?" Please. I'm glad they're out there, sure. But in the end, I know I'm alone. Doesn't bother me. Does it bother you?

Sounds like a crappy place to live. How many people around you would you estimate have the same attitude toward their neighbors that you do? Just curious.

Oh FGS... get off my back. You know barely anything about me. That high horse you're riding is a damn pony. Get it straight.

What the hell are you rambling on about here? "you folks" are leaving the keys in the ignition while we shop? I'm part of "you folks?" Since when? Please just stop assigning actions into my life that I don't take. It's pointless. Entirely pointless. I don't even know where your mind is at with some of this stuff. Go talk to people who leave their keys in their car or something.

Again... don't need your advice, won't flinch at your judgments. You got any more? Just get it off your chest now... fair warning, I'm going to ignore most of it, because it doesn't even pertain to me (as stated above), but you can say whatever it is you want to say. You've obviously got some chips to get off your shoulders.

Here you are again, willing to twist words into straw and, when you have enough, form them into the shape of a man. I don't "believe in stealing from thieves" - post #69 was all about recognizing hypocrisy. If someone is willing to kill, then they cannot be surprised if they are killed during an attempt. Can you imagine how stupid someone would have to be to literally be shocked that the person they are trying to stab to death turns around and attacks them with deadly force? I mean... you would have to be some kind of colossal dimwit... just off the charts levels of dumb. Same with a thief complaining about something being stolen from them. What an asshat. Couldn't be much dumber than that, in my opinion. That's what it is all about. If nobody steals from anybody, then do we even have this problem. Nope. And that's what I believe in. Don't do it, and don't be hypocritical. Do in the world only what you are willing to have done to you. Done. That's what I said.

If someone is trying to kill you, you are justified in protecting your own life from their taking it. And if in that endeavor of protecting yourself the other person dies, so be it. Does this go against the law? Does it?

And before you get some smug look on your face and go to town typing a bunch of useless crap, I understand that stealing from a thief does go against the law, and I never said that I believe it is okay to steal from anyone. What I said, again, boils down to hypocrisy. Don't go crying about things having been stolen from you if you steal from people yourself. This isn't even the purview of the "law" I'm talking about here. This is whether or not you should be considered an intelligent/rational human being worthy of anyone spending any time on your sorry ***.

Believe me, this will be the case. Maybe not the "improved your security to deter such incidents" part... I still don't believe it is ever anyone's fault when they get attacked. It just isn't. When someone did do everything they possibly could think of and still gets attacked... what's that called? Someone who didn't do everything they could is still not culpable in the specific, willful actions of another. You can claim negligence... but what exactly was it the person should have been prepared for? Everything? What if a factory farm near you is spilling so much waste into the nearby water-supply that it supports an algae bloom of epic proportions, and that algae produces as part of its natural cycle a toxin that, when consumed in relatively large quantities, is a health risk. (By the way, this happened in the Northwest Ohio area a few years back). It's the fault of all the people who drink that water, right? They should have been more prepared. My point being - you can't anticipate these things with any amount of precision. How safe is safe enough? Shouldn't people have titanium houses? Automated turrets? Moats filled with crocodiles? You seem to think we're never safe enough. Where do you draw the line?

And if it ever comes to this, I will be found "reasonable", I know this beyond a shadow of a doubt. I don't care what you have to say about me. You're not me.

Quote Oldbad-

Quote Vestige-

And? This is supposed to make me understand that your advice about the odds of what is "actually going on" if/when I ever have a run-in with an attacker intent on killing me is like the "best ever?"

I suppose it is a fine thing to have the power and authority
to arrest not a few, but thousands of badguys.

If one offered resistance, he could bring in the entire
police force, Scotland yard and the Royal Navy,
if need be.

That would be great if I confronted by a badguy,
could tell him he is under arrest, and take him down.

If he knows what is going on, then he may know
what it is to be someone who could no more
"arrest", or in any way resist a badguy than I
could ever overpower a horse. But he does not.
I do.

That is one of the things that "goes on".

Those who advocate for martial arts or other
stern but non lethal self defense might want
to look at it that way, for a moment.

As in, picture the efficacy of the baseball bat
or the karate move, when confronted by a
hippo or a polar bear whose focus is entirely
on doing them harm.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I think you are utterly failing to think at all.

I assume you mean "kill someone attempting
a violent crime" rather than killing an attempt.

An example of not thinking, on your part?

Of course they are not victims, they prevented the crime.

You may not have thought of that.

Your guilty verdict prior to hearing any of the
facts is suitable for North Korea, not a civilized
society.
You can write some rubbish, sometimes, Audie.
Where I live, folks who deliberately, recklessly or intentionally cause more harm than necessary to a person committing a crime get locked up.
Just think about it, for once.

:)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

No, did I say this?

You know who doesn't "[go] screaming to [the authorities] for instant attention when it foes wrong"? Me. I don't. I had my garage burnt down in an act of arson a few years back. I gave a statement to the Fire department, but other than that... stuff happens. You think I believe in the "power" of "the authorities?" Please. I'm glad they're out there, sure. But in the end, I know I'm alone. Doesn't bother me. Does it bother you?

Here you are again, willing to twist words into straw and, when you have enough, form them into the shape of a man. I don't "believe in stealing from thieves" - post #69 was all about recognizing hypocrisy. If someone is willing to kill, then they cannot be surprised if they are killed during an attempt. Can you imagine how stupid someone would have to be to literally be shocked that the person they are trying to stab to death turns around and attacks them with deadly force? I mean... you would have to be some kind of colossal dimwit... just off the charts levels of dumb. Same with a thief complaining about something being stolen from them. What an asshat. Couldn't be much dumber than that, in my opinion. That's what it is all about. If nobody steals from anybody, then do we even have this problem. Nope. And that's what I believe in. Don't do it, and don't be hypocritical. Do in the world only what you are willing to have done to you. Done. That's what I said.

What a long rant.

Audie

Veteran Member
You can write some rubbish, sometimes, Audie.
Where I live, folks who deliberately, recklessly or intentionally cause more harm than necessary to a person committing a crime get locked up.
Just think about it, for once.

:)

Since you can find no fault with any of what I
said, you had to concoct something else,
however unrelated, and try to ding me on that?.

Honestly, some people.

Where I live, folks who deliberately, recklessly or intentionally cause more harm than necessary to a person committing a crime get locked up

Same where I live. Probably any society.

If you just thought instead of thrashing about, you
would have thought of that.

Audie

Veteran Member
You? Sensible?
:p

Me saying I am more sensible than you? I guess
you kind of have a point

I suppose some here might take it as a subtle
bit of self deprecation on my part, or even damning
with faint praise for me to say I am more sensible
than you.

Perhaps it is actually the case.
So I'd have to give you half a point on that.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Since you can find no fault with any of what I
said, you had to concoct something else,
however unrelated, and try to ding me on that?.

Honestly, some people.

Where I live, folks who deliberately, recklessly or intentionally cause more harm than necessary to a person committing a crime get locked up

Same where I live. Probably any society.

If you just thought instead of thrashing about, you
would have thought of that.
At last.
After all that hot air, you agree with me.

Audie

Veteran Member
At last.
After all that hot air, you agree with me.

Oh, you poor dear ol' badger you!
Constantly battered by powerful waves of confusion!

You got it that I understand the law and the
ordinary rules of any society, but you think
I only just now agreed to accept
that excessive, disproportionate force is
a criminal mater? Gracious!

Neither I, now anyone else here, in the remotest way,
ever suggested otherwise.

Who knows how you confused yourself on that?

You are, like, ok... right?

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member
There was no question.......

The Thread Title:- Killing IS justified
The challenge:- Your mission, should you choose to accept it: Prove it.

That is still a question due to the "prove it"

.......... you haven't come anywhere near.

Wrong

How else are actions such as 'killing' justified by any other means?

Arguments. A court is not required to make an argument.

Why does the OP talk of 'justified'?

Ideological slant it seems

So what does the OP 'have to do with'?

Both of you want me to talk about a court. So I want to know the specific system you are talking about. You brought up the court point but now you are questioning the relevance when I push you for specifics. Hilarious

Who justifies such actions where you live?

Me.

Audie

Veteran Member
That is still a question due to the "prove it"

Wrong

Arguments. A court is not required to make an argument.

Ideological slant it seems

Both of you want me to talk about a court. So I want to know the specific system you are talking about. You brought up the court point but now you are questioning the relevance when I push you for specifics. Hilarious

Me.

Re your handle, nickname, appellation or cognomen,
"Shad".

I come up with a alliteration, just for you.

"Sixty six or seventy seven sprightly sliver sided stream shad
smolt swim swiftly seaward."