• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kemeticism

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Can I get some background info on it?

Tell me the important beliefs and others that you feel to tell me.

Can you also recommend some books or sites?

Thanks

Antiochian

Rationalist
I'm afraid I don't know a lot about Kemeticism. But here's a website for you on the Church of the Eternal Source, one of the oldest Pagan Reconstructionist Churches in America that has recreated ancient Egyptian religion. Untitled Document

MissDiscerner

Eternal student
I'm afraid I don't know a lot about Kemeticism. But here's a website for you on the Church of the Eternal Source, one of the oldest Pagan Reconstructionist Churches in America that has recreated ancient Egyptian religion. Untitled Document

If I were you I wouldn't trust this site. They worship the Egyptian Gods but are Wiccan. The true Kemetic religion isn't minimally relationed with Wicca. If you want a good Kemetic organization try the Kemetic Orthodoxy: http://www.kemet.org.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not of a reconstructionist stripe, but if I were wanting to start looking into it, I would begin with academia. Ancient Egypt is a widely-studied, so there is plenty of material out there you can dive into. I'd steer clear of the New Age section entirely... at least until you have a solid foothold on the academic study of ancient egypt.

Unfortunately, I don't really have much to recommend. Egyptian mythology isn't something I've studied extensively as part of my training at this point in time. I know a few things here and there. For instance, I know that ancient Egypt had a fairly developed system of spellcraft/ritual/magic, and that one component of that was recognition of words of power. Portions of herb, incense, oil, and gemstone lore used by modern magical practitioners of all stripes stem from ancient Egyptian traditions. Much of their mythology (and this is true of all Pagan mythology, really) was shaped by the reality of their local land/climate/weather. For Egypt, that meant a focus on the dynamic of the Nile river and the desert in particular. As is typical of Paganism, deities were often local, evolved over time, and syncretism was common.

Circle_One

I know I'm late to the party, but a good resource for Kemeticism is THIS website. You can find all the english translations of the Pyramid Texts, the Coffin Texts, the Book of the Dead, as well as many ancient works describing Kemeticism and Ancient Egyptian beliefs, myths and practices in all their glory.

Also, if you have any questions, feel free the PM me :)

The only problem with modern paganism, and no offense to modern pagans, is that they view that all gods are one god and all goddess are one goddess. That might work well with Wicca but I view my gods as being separate deities. Syncretism is not the same as duality in my book. Kemetics don't have this view, which makes them different from Wiccans. They view syncretism as connected to the Egyptian gods but they don't lump all the gods under one god and all the goddess as one goddess.

Mata

Insert Witty Title Here
The only problem with modern paganism, and no offense to modern pagans, is that they view that all gods are one god and all goddess are one goddess. That might work well with Wicca but I view my gods as being separate deities. Syncretism is not the same as duality in my book. Kemetics don't have this view, which makes them different from Wiccans. They view syncretism as connected to the Egyptian gods but they don't lump all the gods under one god and all the goddess as one goddess.

This isn't entirely true. Neopaganism, that is, modern paganisms, are linked together tenuously at times. There's much more to it than simple Wiccan or generic forms of neopaganism; it's a label that encompasses all kinds of religions - like the religio Romana, Asatru, Slavic polytheism, etc. Even Kemetism fits under the neopagan banner. Which of course, entails all kinds of theologies & views about the nature of gods. And if I am not mistaken, the House of Netjer has a very soft polytheist type of view. I think they call it 'monolatrism', officially. But there's individual members who are hard polytheists.

Circle_One

This isn't entirely true. Neopaganism, that is, modern paganisms, are linked together tenuously at times. There's much more to it than simple Wiccan or generic forms of neopaganism; it's a label that encompasses all kinds of religions - like the religio Romana, Asatru, Slavic polytheism, etc. Even Kemetism fits under the neopagan banner. Which of course, entails all kinds of theologies & views about the nature of gods. And if I am not mistaken, the House of Netjer has a very soft polytheist type of view. I think they call it 'monolatrism', officially. But there's individual members who are hard polytheists.

Just to chime in to confirm, we consider Kemeticism Monolatrism/Monolatry. Basically, we believe all our Gods are PART of Netjer, but are, in and of themselves, seperate deities. They, as a whole, make up Netjer, as each facet of a diamond makes up said diamond, without the facets, there would be no whole and without the whole, there would be no facets.

MissDiscerner

Eternal student
Just to chime in to confirm, we consider Kemeticism Monolatrism/Monolatry. Basically, we believe all our Gods are PART of Netjer, but are, in and of themselves, seperate deities. They, as a whole, make up Netjer, as each facet of a diamond makes up said diamond, without the facets, there would be no whole and without the whole, there would be no facets.

I call that POV Monism... :cool: