• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Kansas Public School Takes Down Portrait Of Jesus After Complaint"

Alitheia Aylso

Philosopher
"The display was called 'an egregious violation of the First Amendment.'

A Kansas school has taken down a portrait of Jesus Christ after being threatened with legal action, and some parents and former students aren't happy about the decision.

images-4.jpg
"Royster Middle School, a public school in the city of Chanute, had been displaying a print of Warner Sallman’s “Head of Christ" since the 1950s, according to Reuters. The portrait was removed earlier this week after the Freedom From Religion Foundation sent the district a letter warning that the display was "an egregious violation of the First Amendment," according to an FFRF news release.

But that decision is not sitting well with some, including a number of residents who've posted complaints on the school's Facebook page, blaming "outsiders" for the portrait's removal.

“With all the bullying that goes on in schools and how all the kids divide up into cliques, I think Jesus being there didn’t hurt a thing," the former student, 22-year-old fur trapper Cody Busby, told the Eagle. "
source
The remark by the fur trapper is no less stupid than the fact that it took a threat of legal action to get the the picture taken down.

I do not personally see the resemblance....

Was Jesus not of Semantic origins?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
So, let me get this straight. Somehow a picture that has been on the wall of this school since the 1950's became problematic in 2015 and warranted being removed because some folks objected to it now? I think I would have more serious concerns about my child's education that something like this... but that's just me.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
So, let me get this straight. Somehow a picture that has been on the wall of this school since the 1950's became problematic in 2015 and warranted being removed because some folks objected to it now? I think I would have more serious concerns about my child's education that something like this... but that's just me.
Why can't you have concerns about both? Are you actually suggesting it's one or the other? I would definitely want it removed. Sends the wrong message to kids.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Why can't you have concerns about both? Are you actually suggesting it's one or the other? I would definitely want it removed. Sends the wrong message to kids.
I'd look at it and think, "Ah, a picture." I see it as no big deal. My atheism is incredibly secure and does not require the removal of marginally religious object, especially ones that have been in place, literally, for generations. I wonder if folks who have their knickers in a twist over this are as concerned about the quality of the education their offspring are receiving or if they even know what their kids are being taught? Are these same parents or "concerned citizens" equally wary of the inebriated Common Core Curriculum?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I'd look at it and think, "Ah, a picture." I see it as no big deal. My atheism is incredibly secure and does not require the removal of marginally religious object, especially ones that have been in place, literally, for generations. I wonder if folks who have their knickers in a twist over this are as concerned about the quality of the education their offspring are receiving or if they even know what their kids are being taught? Are these same parents or "concerned citizens" equally wary of the inebriated Common Core Curriculum?
Maybe I am assuming too much, but you aren't a child, right. I wouldn't be concerned if the students were adults.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
What? Your statement makes a little bit of sense, but not very much.
Shouldn't be too difficult to understand. If a kid sees a picture of Jesus in school where he is learning about life, history, science, music, etc., he/she might think that Christianity is correct or, worse yet, the official religion of Americans. That is extremely dangerous, as many kids take their teacher's word for much of what they learn. Thus, I find it paramount to keep religious favoritism out of the equation.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
What? Your statement makes a little bit of sense, but not very much.
If they had pictures of many religious leaders, that might be OK, more as a historical context. But, we all know what would happen if they put a picture of Muhammad up, so that probably wouldn't work.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Shouldn't be too difficult to understand. If a kid sees a picture of Jesus in school where he is learning about life, history, science, music, etc., he/she might think that Christianity is correct or, worse yet, the official religion of Americans. That is extremely dangerous, as many kids take their teacher's word for much of what they learn. Thus, I find it paramount to keep religious favoritism out of the equation.
Personally, I think there are much bigger fish worth frying, but that's just me.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I never said that there weren't more important issues, did I? I still can't figure out how that is even relevant to this issue.
In my view, it is because the "issue" being discussed is so incredibly minuscule when compared to the big picture of educating the young that my senses are reeling when I consider that some actually think this is a reasonable thing that warrants action.

jojom

In my view, it is because the "issue" being discussed is so incredibly minuscule when compared to the big picture of educating the young that my senses are reeling when I consider that some actually think this is a reasonable thing that warrants action.
So, if people are going to involve themselves in an issue, either in action or discussion, it should be what, momentous, consequential, crucial, substantial, or super colossal? Forget about minor stuff like "Islam’s teaching on response to abuse and mockery" and "Is self-awareness axiomatic or illusory?" Or are "Islam’s teaching on response to abuse and mockery" and "Is self-awareness axiomatic or illusory?" momentous, consequential, crucial, substantial, and super colossal issues?

Milton Platt

"The display was called 'an egregious violation of the First Amendment.'

A Kansas school has taken down a portrait of Jesus Christ after being threatened with legal action, and some parents and former students aren't happy about the decision.

images-4.jpg
"Royster Middle School, a public school in the city of Chanute, had been displaying a print of Warner Sallman’s “Head of Christ" since the 1950s, according to Reuters. The portrait was removed earlier this week after the Freedom From Religion Foundation sent the district a letter warning that the display was "an egregious violation of the First Amendment," according to an FFRF news release.

But that decision is not sitting well with some, including a number of residents who've posted complaints on the school's Facebook page, blaming "outsiders" for the portrait's removal.

“With all the bullying that goes on in schools and how all the kids divide up into cliques, I think Jesus being there didn’t hurt a thing," the former student, 22-year-old fur trapper Cody Busby, told the Eagle. "
source
The remark by the fur trapper is no less stupid than the fact that it took a threat of legal action to get the the picture taken down.

Well, this obviously isn't a "picture of Christ"

source

[/QUOTE]

Well, it is technically a violation of the constitution. Not that the portrait itself matters......obviously it probably bears no resemblance to the person himself, if he did exist. No one has any idea what he looked like.
But in order not to appear to be promoting one religion over the other, the state has two choices....display no gods or prophets, or display them for every religion known to man. The first choice is more reasonable.