• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just Passing Through

How do you perceive your death?

• God has my life in His hands, I trust He will know when it is time.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I would like to have the knowledge of knowing when I was going to die.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • I don’t care how or when I die, I ‘m dead!

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • If I could choose the decision to die I would choose_________ .

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • If I had it my way I would live on earth forever.

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

cardero

Citizen Mod
Preveiously on Why Does God Allow Tragedies........

groovydancer88 writes: You have a very interesting theory, but I'm not quite sure I completely understand it. You say it is our choice when we die, and although this certainly appears to be true on many occasions (like if someone choses to commit suicide, for example),

Suicide, I would say, is a very supportive resource of my theory. Suicide takes a great deal of personal control and will to execute. Everyone doesn’t do it and some will readily admit that they could never take their own life. There are more people who never want to know how or when they are going to die.

groovydancer88 writes: but I don't see how this is always true - for example, if a person lives a perfectly healthy life, and out of nowhere gets a heart attack and dies. How is that his/her choice?

Most of the time we do not know the circumstances of someone’s death or are even privy to all the events that lead up to that moment. I am not to sure if I believe in a perfectly healthy life either. I believe that exercise, eating correctly, and staying away from harmful substances does a body good and can make someone feel healthy but it cannot protect us from death nor does it exclude us from the other 52,364 ways in which we can die.

Here are some beliefs that I have been entertaining lately:
I believe we all begin existence in the spiritual realm, nobody begins their existence as a physical BEing.

I believe that if we desire we can choose to experience a physical existence. Depending on how long we want to exist in a physical realm, this experience can be as any entity (plant, insect, animal, human) and is not exclusive to the species on this planet or dimension. Only you can decide what you want to incarnate into, it is not decided for you.

I believe we incarnate into a physical existence with a plan. What you want to be, where you want to be, who you want to be with, what you want to do, when we desire to leave.

This plan can incorporate a myriad of choices, purposes, challenges, opportunities or experiences (or not). This plan can also change at any moment. This plan can incorporate other entities help or guidance whether they are physical and spiritual. I can liken this example to planning a vacation or any event preferably those that include other people.

I believe that there are many people who do not want to remember how they will die. I can liken this example in the same way that someone does not desire to know the ending of a movie they are about to go see.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I'm pretty sure that once I fulfill my purpose in this lifetime I will have also become aware of when and how I will die. (I chose "I would like to have the knowledge..." because that's what I think I will have.)

Prima

"Here's a test to see if your mission on earth is finished: if you're alive, it isn't."

Thought that applied. :) it also kinda supports your ideas, carrdero.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Well, as for suicide, I'm obviously not very good at it, even after some practice. Now I'm resigned to not 'being allowed' to (Because of the efect on my family - I'd already decided I'd have to go through all this mess again in another incarnation, and accepted that). I'm ready for when 'he' calls me; besides, I now realize that Marie needs me (I wouldn't dare let her hear me sayig that!).
In our marriage, I make the important descisions; like when man is going to go to the moon next, when, or if England is going to accept the Euro (UGH!) whilst Marie makes the uninportant ones, like where we live, what we eat, what I wear..........:jiggy:

Scorn

You raise an interesting point Prima. If all of our lives were to be considered "missions" then all "missions" apply in the grand scheme of things. "Right" or "wrong" in that grand scheme do not apply.
Unless, of course, there is yet another mission that applies beyond the first one. A mission we are not privy to understanding. Then, I wonder, if our life, our prime mission, becomes more or less meaningless.
Anyway, before I run too far off topic I vote to live forever. Well, at least until I become too tired.

Prima

Entirely true, Scorn. Hey! I have another quote for that! I say, why say it yourself when someone else has already said it well?

A cloud does not know why it moves in just such a direction and at such a speed, it feels an impulsion....this is the place to go now.
But the sky knows the reason and the patterns behind all clouds, and you will know, too, when you lift yourself high enough to see beyond horizons.

So, do you think it's possible to see the 'ultimate mission'?

I personally think that our 'individual missions' help in achieving the 'ultimate mission' It's like seeing things on two different levels. When we view it as ourselves, our goals are important. But when we have a 'heavenly viewpoint' we see that everyone's goals are important.

Also, do you think we can know what our 'mission' is before we fulfill it, or will we only know once we're done?

I would like to think that I'd like to know how I'm going to die. But realistically, it would make me a little nervous.

carrdero, your 'movie' example hit the nail on the head. Go read Illusions. Now.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Prima said:
carrdero, your 'movie' example hit the nail on the head. Go read Illusions. Now.
There are many movie references that we can relate to in our lives. I think GOD sort of views our lives as movies maybe knowing the end of our movie maybe even repeating a viewing. The only difference BEing that GOD gets to see alot of the "behind the scenes" moments and "the making of" without having to pay those exorbitant ticket prices. I am familiar with ILLUSIONS by Richard Bach, it was one of those books that was referred and given to me and now holds a valued place on my bookshelf.

cardero

Citizen Mod
michel said:
Well, as for suicide, I'm obviously not very good at it, even after some practice. Now I'm resigned to not 'being allowed' to (Because of the efect on my family - I'd already decided I'd have to go through all this mess again in another incarnation, and accepted that). I'm ready for when 'he' calls me; besides, I now realize that Marie needs me (I wouldn't dare let her hear me sayig that!).
In our marriage, I make the important descisions; like when man is going to go to the moon next, when, or if England is going to accept the Euro (UGH!) whilst Marie makes the uninportant ones, like where we live, what we eat, what I wear..........:jiggy:
Think about all the people who have attempted suicide and failed. I mean actually gave it their best shot and did not succeed. I do not think this is reason for attention nor is it another thing that they are inept at, I just do not believe it was the time for their demise. Out of the many cases of suicide that I have experienced in my lifetime I can honestly say that I am grateful for their continual existence, not only in the difference that they have made in their lives but in the lives of others as well.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Another unpopular point I wanted to bring up in the “Why Does God Allow Tragedies” thread (but thought it was inappropriate) is the difference or quality of death that I do not think should be determined. For example, what exactly is the difference whether 6000 people are destroyed from a natural disaster or 8000 people are killed going to work in a tall skyscraper or a 10000 people are gathered at a Paul McCarthy concert at the time when a plane crashes into the stadium? The fact is that the nature of death does not have moral or immoral standards. When it is your time, you have to go. I find it interesting that some people and not others make this appointment with death. I would also go as far to say that in some instances we are assisted to our deaths especially in cases where we have not chosen to wait for a terminal disease to claim us.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
carrdero said:
Think about all the people who have attempted suicide and failed. I mean actually gave it their best shot and did not succeed. I do not think this is reason for attention nor is it another thing that they are inept at, I just do not believe it was the time for their demise. Out of the many cases of suicide that I have experienced in my lifetime I can honestly say that I am grateful for their continual existence, not only in the difference that they have made in their lives but in the lives of others as well.
Actually, what you've said is a great 'pick me up' for me; I did try, it was genuine, and each time I failed because of unforseen coincidences. All I've ever had all my life was 'You're a coward' 'Taking the easy way out'.....the usual.

One of the best favours we can do for others is to Validate their feelings - and that's the first time my feelings on suicide have been validated, Mr C.! (Don't misunderstand me, I'm not going to go and have another go now, knowing someone's not judgemental about it!:jiggy: )

What no one would accept from me was that my aborted attempts were a genuine 'Gift' to my family; I felt useless, a drain on society - and at the time(s) I thought my wife young enough to marry a guy who could offer her more than I - same for the kids; I thought they'd have a better Dad. No one could ever accept that. I'm going to frame this!:)

Scorn

michel said:
What no one would accept from me was that my aborted attempts were a genuine 'Gift' to my family;
And to all the lives you have touched since. Like us, thank goodness.:)

No*s

Captain Obvious
My take on it is that my will and gods will cooperate and determine the time of my end, and I rest comfortably in that fact :).

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Scorn said:
And to all the lives you have touched since. Like us, thank goodness.:)
I think you got me wrong on that one; I meant my taking my own life was my Idea of a gift to my familly! (The fact that my attempts went wrong I guess was someone's way of saying 'NO, you mustn't!).:) But that's kind and flattering Scorn, thanks.

Yerda

Veteran Member
michel said:
Well, as for suicide, I'm obviously not very good at it, even after some practice.
Yeah I tried that once or twice in my teens, turns out suicide, like cannabis, and rap music just wasn't for me.

Master Vigil

I chose I don't care. I'm sure that came to no surprise to some of you. I live for now, right now I'm alive so death isn't a concern to me.

Lightkeeper

I didn't really find an option for me on the list. I don't want to know how or when. I think that would take the joy and mystery out of living. If you would argue that you might live better if you knew, I would say I don't think so. If we don't know we can still live each day like we did know and not have a date lurking like a cloud.

mrscardero

Kal-El's Mama
Master Vigil said:
I chose I don't care. I'm sure that came to no surprise to some of you. I live for now, right now I'm alive so death isn't a concern to me.
Ditto!

I am not going to sit around wondering how or when I will die. When it comes it comes.
"Maybe not today..maybe not tomorrow...but someday."
I will be here till the end.

My life is a book. I don't know what page I am in. I could be in the middle of the book or the last chapter. Who knows when I will get to the Grand Finally.

Intermission!!! (maybe)