• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just out of curiosity

pearl

Under questioning what is the difference between stating 'I don't remember' and 'I don't recall?'

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think most people use the two terms interchangeably in common parlance. You'll find recall and recollect a synonym of remember in most English dictionaries. But there is some semantical differences if people really want to delve into things like etymology and specific use. 'Recollect' vs. 'Remember' vs. 'Recall'

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Under questioning what is the difference between stating 'I don't remember' and 'I don't recall?'

It's the same meaning. The closest difference I can think of is how recent the event is that one can't remember or recall.

For example, if John conversed with Jane and an hour later after she leaves, John's friend says "Didn't Jane say she was going to the store just a moment ago?" and John says, "no. I don't recall she said that. I was just talking with her."

Compared to if John's friend asked, "didn't you ask Jane out on a date five years ago." John says, "no. I don't remember."

It's not a hardfast rule. They're used interchangeably.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Informally, I'd use I don't remember. Formally, like if being questioned, I'd use I don't recall.
I don't know why. It seems a lot less personal accountability by saying I don't recall. More finality to saying I don't recall as an answer to a question.

I don't remember kind of invites additional inquiries that could maybe bring up the memory.

Nimos

This is almost to easy.... I don't remember :D

tenor.gif

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Well I could say I don't remember what I had for supper at the age of 4 on this particular day, I don't recall what I had last week either, but what I had last week might very well come back to me.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
If asked, "Did you talk to the victim after your first phone conversation?"
You might say, "I don't remember" and get by with it.
However, if asked "Did you talk to the victim after your first phone conversation?" and you say "Absolutely not!", then you might be asked, "How can you be so certain?".
"simple," you answer, "I don't recall."
Hahaha (sorry, I couldn't help myself).

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
'Remember' feels more personal. Its a childhood word. It also feels like its a comment about ones self and one's own capability. 'Recall' feels like a comment about the thing being remembered -- as if it is not our own fault that we do not remember. Grammatically they are identical.

pearl

Thanks for the replies. The question came up concerning a news item where one was advised to use the term recall when questioned during a legal hearing.

I don't remember kind of invites additional inquiries that could maybe bring up the memory.

GameChanger

I'm guessing there's a psychiatric component that could be at play here regarding the way that memory functions. A component that I don't really understand.