• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judge throws away first ammendment

Melody

Both parents are Wiccans...the government recognizes Wicca as a religion...and he is asserting they can't raise their son in this religion under which piece of law?

This is the type of behavior that should get him unseated pronto since he is making legal decisions based on his own biases and not on law.

Tawn

Wow.. thats disgusting... I wonder if Atheism is considered a manstream belief (or non-belief) system?

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
I agree. Yet another judge that refuses to make a decision based on the law. This is certainly outrageous, but I didn't see anywhere in the article where the judge is right wing, republican or what not. I'm not sure that the comment about the "right" being responsible can be substantiated.

Caprice

I don't get it... what place does the court have telling parents how to raise their kids? Even divorced parents??

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
Caprice said:
I don't get it... what place does the court have telling parents how to raise their kids? Even divorced parents??
Only in the case that the child is in physical or mental danger have the courts stepped in. This is unprecedented I believe.

M

Majikthise

I don't like to defend the left or the right, but , I really can't see a liberal judge making this kind of decision.

Tawn said:
Wow.. thats disgusting...
You know, that's exactly what I thought at first....but I'm beginning to see this in a more positive light. Notice how outraged everyone is at this. I feel certain that this insane ruling will be overturned, and that is the mark of good government: one that is self-correcting. (After all, those in government positions will always push the limits of their power.)

Ceridwen018

That is so unconstitutional I think my head is going to explode.

I hope you're right, Spinkles. If not, who's ready to march on Washington?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Thank you for posting that link. I will have to make a special trip to Indy tommorow if any protesting is going on.

Pah

Uber all member
Ceridwen018 said:
That is so unconstitutional I think my head is going to explode.

I hope you're right, Spinkles. If not, who's ready to march on Washington?
Be sure to stop by Richmond

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NetDoc said:
Stamp out Anti-Wiccan Bigotry!
Here here! I've got a wicker chair!.....oh, wicca....Yeah, whatever you said NetDoc.

Fluffy and I were having a P.M'd conversation the other day, about how so much of what goes on in the States seems so totally alien to us, in England.

This is another case - I don't understand why you guys don't do something about it. I know that forum members are not necessarilly a representation of the average American (I assume that because you have enough interest in theology and morals to join a Forum to debate these subjects), but I really feel for you.

The impression I get is that Bush and his cronies are the equivalent of a neo-dictatorship. I don't think I could stand to live under those conditions.

Just a thought - if you joined the E.U, you would have the right to refer these absurdities back to the court of human rights - sounds like something you need. !:)

Melody

Majikthise said:
I don't like to defend the left or the right, but , I really can't see a liberal judge making this kind of decision.
I can't see a judge with "brains" making this kind of decision. They must've been scraping the bottom of the barrel.

My situation includes any set of beliefs including ignorant ones. It 's the freedom for It as per ME wanting like the self in me or in another which would make things unhappy anyway. If this is a fictional Judge; wow!!! :D I agree with Him. though he may disagree with me for It.

Fluffy

A fool
I find that things such as this are a mixed blessing. Yes it is horrible that we are in a world that things like this can happen but think of the positive publicity and protection this will give Wicca and other Wiccans in the future. I'm just glad that this couple were brave enough to be open about their beliefs because they have helped to prevent abuses of justice targeting their religion in the future.