• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judaism's connection with Astronomy/logy?

Nefelie

~~~

Hello everyone!

I have a question about Judaism, and I’d love your answers:

Some parts in the OT are considered to be connected with Astronomy/logy.

Is that true? Does Judaism accept this connection?

~~~

Nefelie

Judaism doesn't accept the OT. We accept the Tanakh.

That’s the Jewish cannon, right?
Which books of the Tanakh have been included to the OT?

In regards to astronomy, i guess it really depends on who you ask.

What do you mean? Isn’t there something like a “common teaching”?

Like, for example, the official opinion in Christianity is that there is no connection. There are of course people who think otherwise (I’m one of them :) ) but they are considered “heretics” (even if they are not Christians o_O).

~~~

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
When it comes to Bible understanding for my personal views I look at that Book as
a guide for human interaction with other humans.
I tend to "trust' the N.T. and Jesus's teachings.
"Love one another..........................."

Unless someone is shooting at me then all rules obey survival.:eek::D

Akivah

That’s the Jewish cannon, right?
Which books of the Tanakh have been included to the OT?

Here is a comparison chart.
http://catholic-resources.org/Bible/Heb-Xn-Bibles.htm

What do you mean? Isn’t there something like a “common teaching”?
We don't put much stock in astrology.

According to the rabbi at aish.com
although Judaism believes in astrological influences, we are commanded not to inquire of them. In any event they are not very accurate – especially when it comes to the Jewish people. Rather we are told to trust in G-d that He will give us what is best for us in life.Although horoscopes and fortune-tellers today are very unlikely to have any validity to them, just in case, one should not inquire of them, even just for fun.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
When it comes to Bible understanding for my personal views I look at that Book as
a guide for human interaction with other humans.
I tend to "trust' the N.T. and Jesus's teachings.
"Love one another..........................."

Unless someone is shooting at me then all rules obey survival.:eek::D
This is the Judaism DIR.

Nefelie

We don't put much stock in astrology

I'm more interested in Astronomy.

Astronomy and Astrology where one and the same until about 100-200 years ago, but I’m not interested in the fortune telling part of this science. My interest in Astrology is only around Esoteric Astrology, which has absolutely nothing to do with fortune telling.

I think there is a strong connection of Astronomy and Judaism. Like for example the 12 tribes with the 12 constellations of the zodiac (again: in the astronomical sense) like Tarheeler's profile photo ;).
I also think that the astronomical connection is used for teaching astronomy and esoteric astrology.

Are my thoughts correct?

~~~

Tumah

Veteran Member
I'm more interested in Astronomy.

Astronomy and Astrology where one and the same until about 100-200 years ago, but I’m not interested in the fortune telling part of this science. My interest in Astrology is only around Esoteric Astrology, which has absolutely nothing to do with fortune telling.

I think there is a strong connection of Astronomy and Judaism. Like for example the 12 tribes with the 12 constellations of the zodiac (again: in the astronomical sense) like Tarheeler's profile photo ;).
I also think that the astronomical connection is used for teaching astronomy and esoteric astrology.

Are my thoughts correct?

~~~
There are books that mention some connections between the tribes and the months.

Last edited:

Nefelie

There are books that mention some connections between the tribes and the months.

Yes. And also that connect the 12 tribes with the 12 constellations. But, I have found two different references:

Reuben = Aquarius or Cancer

Simeon and Levi = Pisces or Leo

Judah = Leo or Aries

Zebulun = Capricorn and Gemini

Isaachar = Cancer or Taurus

Dan = Scorpio or Capricorn

Gad = Aries or Virgo

Asher = Libra or Aquarius

Naphtali and Ephraim = Virgo or Pisces

Joseph = Taurus

Benjamin = Gemini or Sagittarius

Manasseh = Sagittarius or Gemini or Scorpio

Is any of these correct?

As for synagogues with the zodiac, besides the most famous one of Beth Alfa, similar scenes are found in mosaics of synagogues of Hamath Tiber (on the shores of Galilee), the Sepphoris (north of Nazareth 5th-7th century), the synagogue on Mount Carmel and another west of the Dead Sea.

zodiac.jpg

sepphoris-synagogue-dating-from-c-5th-c-ad-detail-of-the-mosaic-floor-BP5JMN.jpg

http://www.jewish-heritage-europe.eu/galleries/zodiac-signs-four-symbolic-animals-in-synagogue-art

What bothers me is that all the above are dated AD. Why is that? Are there no references BC? Can someone help please?

~~~

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Astronomy and Astrology where one and the same until about 100-200 years ago, but ...
You might find Astronomy: History interesting.

As for Astrology, we are a pattern-matching species and incalculable hours have been spent creatively connecting the dots, but astrology is pretty extraneous to Judaism.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Yes. And also that connect the 12 tribes with the 12 constellations. But, I have found two different references:

Reuben = Aquarius or Cancer

Simeon and Levi = Pisces or Leo

Judah = Leo or Aries

Zebulun = Capricorn and Gemini

Isaachar = Cancer or Taurus

Dan = Scorpio or Capricorn

Gad = Aries or Virgo

Asher = Libra or Aquarius

Naphtali and Ephraim = Virgo or Pisces

Joseph = Taurus

Benjamin = Gemini or Sagittarius

Manasseh = Sagittarius or Gemini or Scorpio

Is any of these correct?
There are two possible ways to connect them, either through the order Jacob blessed them, or the order of their encampment in the desert. I didn't check all of them, but at least three of them are correct according to the second method.

As for synagogues with the zodiac, besides the most famous one of Beth Alfa, similar scenes are found in mosaics of synagogues of Hamath Tiber (on the shores of Galilee), the Sepphoris (north of Nazareth 5th-7th century), the synagogue on Mount Carmel and another west of the Dead Sea.

zodiac.jpg

sepphoris-synagogue-dating-from-c-5th-c-ad-detail-of-the-mosaic-floor-BP5JMN.jpg

http://www.jewish-heritage-europe.eu/galleries/zodiac-signs-four-symbolic-animals-in-synagogue-art

What bothers me is that all the above are dated AD. Why is that? Are there no references BC? Can someone help please?

~~~
There is not very much Jewish literature after the Tanach until the Mishnah ~200 CE.

Tumah

Veteran Member
How have you applied 156a in your religious observance? Do you know (not "can you determine") the day of your birth?
I was born on a Friday. But if I recall, according to Rashi, you need to calculate it based on the hour, not the day. Its just giving you the first planet that is the first of each day. Today the customs that relate to astrology that I can think of, mostly related to avoiding things related to Mars, like not making kiddush on Friday night during the hour that Mars is dominant.
But I guess I see it, that if there is material to study, then it is not extraneous but integral, no less than the laws of an ox that gores.

Nefelie

There are two possible ways to connect them, either through the order Jacob blessed them, or the order of their encampment in the desert. I didn't check all of them, but at least three of them are correct according to the second method.

Thank you for the insight :)

There is not very much Jewish literature after the Tanach until the Mishnah ~200 CE.

OK, but I’m talking about the mosaics in the synagogues.

~~~

You may not be aware of tractate Sabbath 156a, for one.

How have you applied 156a in your religious observance? Do you know (not "can you determine") the day of your birth?

What’s that, people? o_O

~~~

I was born on a Friday. But if I recall, according to Rashi, you need to calculate it based on the hour, not the day. Its just giving you the first planet that is the first of each day. Today the customs that relate to astrology that I can think of, mostly related to avoiding things related to Mars, like not making kiddush on Friday night during the hour that Mars is dominant.

But I guess I see it, that if there is material to study, then it is not extraneous but integral, no less than the laws of an ox that gores.

These are interesting information! Please elaborate?

~~~

Nefelie

See Wikipedia: Talmud Structure. The reference is to page 156a of tractate Shabbat of Order Moed.

Thank you! :)

There is no requirement to make pictures in the synagogue. So its probably just a matter of when it came into style.

Isn’t it interesting that the zodiac with the sun in the middle it “came into style” for the synagogues around the same period that Christianity sprang…?

Is it possible there is a connection there?

~~~