• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judaism and Supplemental Material

David Davidovich

And then there's the idea of the (demon?) Azazel and the goat demon, Se'irim, which are mentioned in the Bible and/or Jewish literature and Jewish thought.

Actually, Azazel and the goat demon were from another video from the ESOTERICA YouTube channel that I had watched but didn't post yet. Also, this channel is hosted by Dr. Justin Sledge who is a historian of sorts and earned his undergraduate degree at Millsaps College and then went for a DRS in religious studies (Western Esotericism and Related Currents) at the Universiteit van Amsterdam and a MA and PhD in philosophy at the University of Memphis. Plus, he is Jewish, and belongs to the Reconstructionist movement (which I'm guessing is not part of the Torath Moshe Jewish faith).

Also, no offense to anyone, but I really like historians because in my opinion, they seem to have more of an objective view of history compared to people who are religious and will perhaps include information that a religious person might not include. But once again, that is my opinion. Although, to say the least, he does have an interesting channel.

David Davidovich

Greetings. I know this was directed at Harel13 but I would just like to make a small suggestion, which may also be a clarification.

Please be aware that the speaker in the video, when using the word "bible", is not referecing the any English translation, no matter who did it. He is saying, essentially, if you want to understand anything in Torath Mosheh/Orthodox Judaism you start from the Hebrew text of the Tanakh.

Having read through your question I can tell you that literally all of them would be easy to clarify if you were face to face with someone who a) knows Hebrew/Aramaic, b) had the Hebrew Tanakh right in front of you both, c) did not use any translation text, and d) translated for you on the spot directly from the Hebrew text while providing you historical Jewish linquistic, cultural, historical, and theological support for everything they showed you from the original Hebrew text.

Well, your videos did seem to be similar to that, therefore, I think that I may have kind of sort of come to a different understanding after watching them. Although, I do have to admit that the ones where you were reading the texts in Hebrew were kind of difficult to watch at first, because it made me think about the Tower and Babel because I couldn't understand a word that you were saying in Hebrew. lol Therefore, I had to stop in the middle of the two longer videos and watch the shorter video which was primarily in English about Kabbalah. And then after I watched that one and had gotten more used to hearing the Hebrew accent on some of the words, it was easier to come back and watch the other two.

But in saying that, the thought came across my mind that for people who primarily speak English, just listening to an English version of your videos may have actually been easier to listen to and definitely more succinct.

David Davidovich

If I can respectfully make a few points here. In terms of your statement that all those other books and texts and rabbis and sages and various versions of Judaism don't quite seem to match up with the written Torah or Tanakh. There a few problems you may have with this statement.
  1. The authors of the various content in the Tanakh wrote it in several periods of ancient Hebrew and in a few places ancient Aramaic.
    • They wrote using the linquistic stylings, idiom, and expressions of ancient Israeli/Jewish culture from several thousand years ago.
    • There is no way to word for word translate an ancient language into modern English w/o loads of commentary to explain the history, linquistic stylings, idiom, and expressions of said ancient culture.
    • That being said, if you are not able to read the originals and if you don't know the scope of a more than 3,000 year old history, culture, etc. directly from the people who come from that culture how would you know what the intent of what the authors' actually wrote was and what the meaning of their intent was?
Ehav4Ever, I'm only going by the English explanation made by the speaker in the video about the Jewish faith. Including, your English explanations in your videos.

1. The oldest "written" discussions/descriptions of ideas found in the "Hebrew" Torah from start to finish are Tehillim (Psalms), Mishley (Proverbs), and Qoheleth (Ecclesiastes).
    • Tehillim (Psalms), Mishley (Proverbs), and Qoheleth (Ecclesiastes) were all written in ancient Hebrew from the 1st commonwealth period of Israel and all written by Jewish men who have descendenets that exist in the Jewish community even in this day.
    • So, if a person can't read ancient Hebrew of the 1st commonwealth of ancient Israel and if they don't know the linquistic stylings, idiom, and expressions of ancient Israeli/Jewish culture from several thousand years ago then it is safe to say that they can't really understand the content of Tehillim (Psalms), Mishley (Proverbs), and Qoheleth (Ecclesiastes).
    • Everything mentioned here is true for any of the texts found in the Hebrew Tanakh.
  2. Now here is the kicker. The earliest written text to address the entire Tanakh that was written by people who a) knew the linquistic stylings, idiom, and expressions of ancient Israeli/Jewish culture from several thousand years ago and b) were direct descendents from the authors of the Tanakh as well as Israelis/Jews mentioned in the Hebrew Tanakh is - drum roll - The two Talmuds (Babylonian and Jerusalem).
    • All modern day dictionaries, lexicons, etc. about ancient Hebrew and Aramaic all are forced to use the Talmuds as a reference because of this reality.
    • Modern Christian dictionaries, lexicons, etc. of ancient Hebrew, at some point have to start by referencing the Talmuds at some point because of the fact that the early (and modern) Christian scholars who tried to interact with the Hebrew Tanakh a) don't descend from families that knew/know the linquistic stylings, idiom, and expressions of ancient Israeli/Jewish culture from several thousand years ago and b) are not direct descendents from the authors of the Tanakh as well as Israelis/Jews mentioned in the Hebrew Tanakh.
    • Thus, the Talmud's are the oldest written records that detail Israeli meanings of words, idioms, traditions, understandings, and ideas covering the entire Hebrew Tanakh.
    • No problem. And I basically understood that after watching your videos.
Further to that, there are some concepts that Jews are not required to have steadfast ideas about. Demons for example are one those. There is no requirement for a Jew to beleive that there are demons and there is no requirement for a Jew to completely dismiss it (IF there is evidence to their existance).

The problem that anyone would face is - Ugh, what exactly is a demon and why should I care? As a quick example, the world that "some" Jews use to describe a demon (שד) or plural (שדים) doesn't have to mean what most people in English think of when they of the English word demon.

In fact, the etymology of the English word demon seems to have undergone some changes over the years.

View attachment 64029

The Rambam and others held one view and other rabbis held a different view. In their time, it was not a requirement to beleive in either view. In our time it is definately not required because most Jews have no contact with anything that can defined as a demon. Maybe because demons, as westerns thing of the English word, never existed. Maybe, because they could only influence those who could not scientifically analyze them out of existance. Maybe, the leaders of ancient meant something different when they used the word (שדים) than people mean with the English word demon. On a base level (שדים), no matter what they were or are not the basis of the Torah nor of Yahuduth (Judaism). Instead, what is the basis if Hashem and the Torah.

Okay, but why did the one rabbi make a nearly one-hour video discussing demons and the occult, which I posted in post #14? Also, what he said in English was pretty clear to me as far as what his intent and purpose of making that video was. Plus, the video that I posted in post #14, seemed to explain the whole basis of our origins and why we are here, and the origin of evil and why we struggle and feel pain in life. Therefore, I don't see how you are basically saying that demons don't matter when the rabbi in the video says that they do.

Ehav4Ever

Okay, but why did the one rabbi make a nearly one-hour video discussing demons and the occult, which I posted in post #14?

Because, even a topic that may be mundane and not crucial for every day living is an open topic with the Torah based Jewish community. Rabbi Skobac actually explained this at the beginning of the video 0:41 to - 8:42.

Also, Jews for Judaism is a orgnaization that is trying to help Jews return to the Torah path. In our day, that means that we are talking a number of Jews who are exposed to these ideas w/o the Torah basis to know how to read between the lines. For example, in North America - where the speaker lives - there are a large number of Jews who grew up either a) outside of the Torah or b) w/o Hebrew being their first/second language.

Also, Jews for Judaism is an organization that tries to a) prevent Jews from being fooled into becoming Christian my missionaries and b) trying to help Jews who have been fooled by missionaries to return to the Torah. Thus, for all of the above reasons it is necessary for leaders of various Jewish communities to be aware of topics that members of Jewish communities may face.

Also, what he said in English was pretty clear to me as far as what his intent and purpose of making that video was. Plus, the video that I posted in post #14, seemed to explain the whole basis of our origins and why we are here, and the origin of evil and why we struggle and feel pain in life. Therefore, I don't see how you are basically saying that demons don't matter when the rabbi in the video says that they do.

Actually, if you watch the following segements of the video you are describing he stated the opposite of what you wrote in the blue.
  1. 0:41 to - 8:42 the story of the person who asked him to help them with a demon problem, his response to their request.
  2. 13:00 - 15:51 the story about what he been told as a kid about the blessing of the preists, and at 14:37 - 15:51 to he explains the source that says that what he had been told was simply a superstition.
    • BTW the custom he states here about turning ones back to the Kohanim (priests) during the blessing is only found in "certain" American and Northern European Jewish communities. Turning one's back during this blessing was not/is not the custom found in Middle Eastern, Asian, and North African Jewish communities.
    • 23:48 - 24:10 Analysis of why people attach themselves to things they think they can control.
    • 26:51 - 29:04 Discusses the Rambam's position.
    • 30:12 - 30:28 Hashem runs the world through nature. (natural forces)
    • 30:03 - 30:43 The occult attempts to manipulate and outwit the natural forces in the world.
    • Starting at 30:29 until the end. Also, most important - he clearly states that what is he describing is the balence that created in the world to give the ability of free will. I.e. the ability to choose good (the will of Hashem) or the ability to choose bad (going against the will of Hashem). Thus, this is one of the problems with using English - to a Jew listening to him that studies Torah/halakha/etc. we know that sitra ahra is not a "dark side" the way that the statement is used in the non-Jewish world. The statement doesn't mean "dark" and "side". Rabbi Skobac is simply using English terms that are common in Western Culture. One of the challenges of translating. A Jew can hear this and understand what he is talking about if they already have a background in Torah, or is learning it, but someone who isn't Jewish and doesn't know what these terms mean on their own may not. Again, Jews for Judaism is mainly an organization focused on bring disconnted Jews back to the Jewish community.
Further to this point, if one looks at the world in modern times - one can posit that basically what the Rambam stated on these matters appears to be the truth. (26:51 - 29:04) The Rambam wrote on these topics in other works of his and again, with the current level of scientic advancement it appears that he was right in his assessment.

Please be aware, a one hour video about this topic is nothing compared to the numerous 3 to 4 hour videos that exist in numerous languages on thing like the foundations fo the Torah, Tefillin, Tzitzith, The Temple in Jerusalem, how to keep Passover, how to build a Sukkah, etc. Any Torah based Jew can tell you, there are situations where we spend years going through the same topic only to start over and relearn it again. So, this video compared to what is a part of common and normal Torah learning is very minor, even as the Rabbi Skobac discussed in the beginning of the video.

Plus, the video that I posted in post #14, seemed to explain the whole basis of our origins and why we are here, and the origin of evil and why we struggle and feel pain in life.

This was actually not what he was discussing in this video. It had nothing to do with the basis of the origins of why we are here and the origin of evil and why we struggle and feel pain in life. The point of the video was exactly what he deiscussed at the beginning and what he stated at the end from about 55:20 to the end. I.e. what are the Torah based position(s) on why Jews are commanded to stay away from Avodah Zara (foreign work). Further, this video focuses on one type of Avodah Zara which is modernly called the occult/witchcraft and what the are pitfalls are from using that as a goal to try and manipulate nature/reality.

Last edited:

Ehav4Ever

Although, I do have to admit that the ones where you were reading the texts in Hebrew were kind of difficult to watch at first, because it made me think about the Tower and Babel because I couldn't understand a word that you were saying in Hebrew. lol Therefore, I had to stop in the middle of the two longer videos and watch the shorter video which was primarily in English about Kabbalah. And then after I watched that one and had gotten more used to hearing the Hebrew accent on some of the words, it was easier to come back and watch the other two.

And here is the thing. W/o the Hebrew you would be confused by information that you think you may grasp because I am having to state things in a foreign way to what the text says in Hebrew and how ancient Jews understood something. Further, by me being to pull out the source - read it - and explain what it says and doesn't say you will have a better idea if I am just making stuff up. Also, if someone claims something different but they can't show the original sources - they can't read the originals - etc. it brings up the question of whether or what they stated is correct.

But in saying that, the thought came across my mind that for people who primarily speak English, just listening to an English version of your videos may have actually been easier to listen to and definitely more succinct.

That is just it. My videos were created because of the fact that I see where people get things wrong because they are relying on an English translation while thinking that translation is 100%. I.e. if a person wants to really know what the text says they have to interact with the Hebrew. Further, because Jews have no requirement to try and proseltyze to the non-Jewish nations there is no requirement to water things down - epecially when the watering down is what allows for confusion. Literally, most so called "biblical" debates can be settled by pulling out the original and going through what it says by ignoring the trnaslation because as any multi-linqual person can tell you "translation is a form of commentary."

Ehav4Ever

Actually, Azazel and the goat demon were from another video from the ESOTERICA YouTube channel that I had watched but didn't post yet. Also, this channel is hosted by Dr. Justin Sledge who is a historian of sorts and earned his undergraduate degree at Millsaps College and then went for a DRS in religious studies (Western Esotericism and Related Currents) at the Universiteit van Amsterdam and a MA and PhD in philosophy at the University of Memphis. Plus, he is Jewish, and belongs to the Reconstructionist movement (which I'm guessing is not part of the Torath Moshe Jewish faith).

Also, no offense to anyone, but I really like historians because in my opinion, they seem to have more of an objective view of history compared to people who are religious and will perhaps include information that a religious person might not include. But once again, that is my opinion. Although, to say the least, he does have an interesting channel.

The problem you have with this video is that doesn't actually take the texts that he is showing you and then translate them on the spot for you. He is simply giving his opinion about them and you have no way to verify if a person who lived during those times would agree with his accessment.

For example, I can make a lot of claims to you about what the following says.
If you don't know Canaanite and you don't know their culture you may not know to ask me how I know for a fact what the text means if the Canaanite culture ceased to exist a few thousand years ago. You may not even know how to analyze if what I am saying would be accepted by a Canaanite from the period this was composed. They could easily say, "Hey this is not from us. This was dropped off by Sumerians."

upload_2022-6-29_8-39-37.png

Also, as I mentioned earlier I have seen some "western scholars" claim something about an ancient text in English but then when I read the original it did not make the statements they claim in the context they claimed. For example, the word elohim in "ancient" Hebrew does not mean what the word "god" means in modern English. All one needs to do to prove this is to look up the shoresh or three letter root. Thus, a person who writes something in English won't know this important distinction because in "modern" Hebrew often "elohim" is taken to mean what "god" means in modern English.

Ehav4Ever

Ehav4Ever, I'm only going by the English explanation made by the speaker in the video about the Jewish faith. Including, your English explanations in your videos.

Just throwing this out there. Would it be of any interest to you if I were to offer to do a Zoom with you and go over your questions in a way where you would see the sources, I explain them in easy to understand ways, explain why they say what they say, and provide the various views of Torath Mosheh and Orthodox Jewish understandings?

I did this once with someone on RF it worked out really well for them. It also was quicker than trying to type back and forth. If something like this would interest you let me know. I can do all the work to set it up.

David Davidovich

Further to this point, if one looks at the world in modern times - one can posit that basically what the Rambam stated on these matters appears to be the truth. (26:51 - 29:04) The Rambam wrote on these topics in other works of his and again, with the current level of scientic advancement it appears that he was right in his assessment.

I see. But how can what Rabam(or the lone Rabbi) stated be the truth if there is a famous and long-standing dispute between Rabam's position and all the other Rabbis and Sages' position on demons, according to what is said at 28:13 through 30:32? Plus, the viewpoint of the other Rabbis is referenced by Torah scriptures that warn against occultist practices. Therefore, that would seem to make Rabam's position just be his own personal opinion. And I may be getting the names mixed up because I can't always tell who the Rabbi in the video is referencing because of his accent, however, I do know that according to that video, the majority of Rabbis believe that the powers behind occult practices are dangerous and potent, while the one lone Rabbi thinks it's just idiocy and that there's no power involved in it.

Please be aware, a one hour video about this topic is nothing compared to the numerous 3 to 4 hour videos that exist in numerous languages on thing like the foundations fo the Torah, Tefillin, Tzitzith, The Temple in Jerusalem, how to keep Passover, how to build a Sukkah, etc. Any Torah based Jew can tell you, there are situations where we spend years going through the same topic only to start over and relearn it again. So, this video compared to what is a part of common and normal Torah learning is very minor, even as the Rabbi Skobac discussed in the beginning of the video.

Well, I had come across this video on ESOTERIC last night, and it is stating the same thing that you are stating on one hand, but on the other hand, that the Babylonian Talmud is replete with demonology at 12:00 through 13:47.

David Davidovich said:
Plus, the video that I posted in post #14, seemed to explain the whole basis of our origins and why we are here, and the origin of evil and why we struggle and feel pain in life

This was actually not what he was discussing in this video. It had nothing to do with the basis of the origins of why we are here and the origin of evil and why we struggle and feel pain in life. The point of the video was exactly what he deiscussed at the beginning and what he stated at the end from about 55:20 to the end. I.e. what are the Torah based position(s) on why Jews are commanded to stay away from Avodah Zara (foreign work). Further, this video focuses on one type of Avodah Zara which is modernly called the occult/witchcraft and what the are pitfalls are from using that as a goal to try and manipulate nature/reality.

I never said that it was the point of the video, but just that the video had explained the basis of our origins and why we are here, and the origin of evil and why we struggle and feel pain in life since you had said that demons and satan were not an important part of the Torah Mosheh Jewish faith.

David Davidovich

And here is the thing. W/o the Hebrew you would be confused by information that you think you may grasp because I am having to state things in a foreign way to what the text says in Hebrew and how ancient Jews understood something. Further, by me being to pull out the source - read it - and explain what it says and doesn't say you will have a better idea if I am just making stuff up. Also, if someone claims something different but they can't show the original sources - they can't read the originals - etc. it brings up the question of whether or what they stated is correct.

I'm not really sure about that because in watching your videos, I would have trusted that the English translation by itself that you gave was accurately conveying what was written in Hebrew. Because hearing the Hebrew that you read, really didn't mean anything to me and was slightly discomfortable listening to. ;)

That is just it. My videos were created because of the fact that I see where people get things wrong because they are relying on an English translation while thinking that translation is 100%. I.e. if a person wants to really know what the text says they have to interact with the Hebrew. Further, because Jews have no requirement to try and proseltyze to the non-Jewish nations there is no requirement to water things down - epecially when the watering down is what allows for confusion. Literally, most so called "biblical" debates can be settled by pulling out the original and going through what it says by ignoring the trnaslation because as any multi-linqual person can tell you "translation is a form of commentary."

But wouldn't that only apply to an English non-Jewish person who translated the Hebrew into English? Because to me, I don't see the problem with an English translation of Hebrew writing if the Hebrew was translated by a Jew who knew Hebrew. :confused:

Also, I will have to finish replying to your other posts on another night.

Ehav4Ever

I see. But how can what Rabam(or the lone Rabbi) stated be the truth if there is a famous and long-standing dispute between Rabam's position and all the other Rabbis and Sages' position on demons, according to what is said at 28:13 through 30:32?

Because we Torath Mosheh Jews are required to hold by what is proven to be true. As both the Rambam and the Ramban both explained in their writings as more is understood about how things work in reality the Torah will become more and more clear for Jews. You have to remember that in Torath Mosheh and Orthodox Judaism there is no such thing as blind faith. We Jews are required to challenge and confront all ideas and if something does not match both Torah and what is proven to be reality we disgard it. There is also no problem with the idea that there were rabbis in the past who didn't fully understand how the physical world works. As the Rambam pointed in in his book Moreh Nevuchim, "we have no requirement to hold onto ideas of the rabbis of the past who didn't fully grasp a matter." Also, like it is written in the Kuzari, "The Torah was not given to contradict what is seen and proven to be true."

Thus, you won't find one mitzvah in the Torah that deals with (שדים) or the modern concept of demons. Thus, the subject matter is not relevant to the daily lives of most Jews. Further, in the video we are discussing Rabbi Skobac brought up a lot of information found in "certain" types of Kabalistic writings. Most of these writings are not normally studied by most Jews since there is a very stern warning about learning from those text if one is not a) fluent in Hebrew and Aramaic, b) heavily experienced in the Tanakh, c) heavily experienced in halakha, and d) not married with a family and a balenced person.

Plus, the viewpoint of the other Rabbis is referenced by Torah scriptures that warn against occultist practices.

The challenge you face here is that you may not fully understand the "Jewish definition" of an accult practice. In Hebrew the term used is Avodah Zara (עבודה זרה) which means "foreign work/worship/practice/etc." Just to give you an example. For Torath Mosheh Jews most of the concepts found in Christianity are Avodah Zara and could also be called occultist practices. The same for various elements of western secular culture. In halakha there is a long list of what is Avodah Zara or as you may say in English occultist practices - this concept we are discussing in only one category of the whole thing. The reason why Rabbi Shobac did a relatively short video about this topic is because, as he mentioned at the beginning of the video, there are unfortunately some Jews living in modern socieities who think certain things have power or they are attempting to have power over things they neither understand or things that they don't have the ability to control in the first place. In some cases this is simply them having other issues in their lives they have not addressed.

Therefore, that would seem to make Rabam's position just be his own personal opinion.

Even if one were to claim that, the Rambam was proceeded by other rabbis who stated the same thing he did. Rabbi Saadya Gaon who proceeded him had a similar conclusion. Besides, modern day scientific discovers also appear to have proven the Rambam's position correct. There is nothing wrong, in Torath Mosheh, with being wrong on such a topic and at the end of the day we Jews are able to learn from correct conclusions and incorrect ones alike. There is nothing wrong with having an incorrect view on a topic like this. There is no mitzvah in the Torah that requires one to think a particular way on how the reality around us works - with one acception - Torath Mosheh Jews are required to hold by what is proven to be true.

And I may be getting the names mixed up because I can't always tell who the Rabbi in the video is referencing because of his accent,

however, I do know that according to that video, the majority of Rabbis believe that the powers behind occult practices are dangerous and potent, while the one lone Rabbi thinks it's just idiocy and that there's no power involved in it.

That is a misunderstand of what Rabbi Skobac was talking about. Rambam was not the lone rabbi on this topic. The comparison was with some of the rabbis of his level. There were others who agreed with him. Yet, you have to take into account that Rabbi Skobac is one rabbi who comes from a particular type of Jewish community. He obviously has not read everything written written by every rabbi from around the Jewish world. Like in Yemen, Morocco, Iraq, etc. Further, as he mentioned at the beginning of the video there was a point where this topic was not on his radar because it is not something that most rabbis have to interact with.

Also, be aware. Because both sides of the issue use the same Hebrew Torah/Tanakh and both sides both follow halakha, and this topic is not Torah or Halakha then who ever is right is a win for both sides. The discussion from both sides have merit and we Torath Mosheh Jews can learn from both correct and incorrect views on any given topic.

Well, I had come across this video on ESOTERIC last night, and it is stating the same thing that you are stating on one hand, but on the other hand, that the Babylonian Talmud is replete with demonology at 12:00 through 13:47.

With this you will run into two problems.
  1. The Talmud was not written in English, it written in Mishnaic Hebrew and Aramaic. Anyone who is claiming to teach you something from the Talmud would need to prove that they understand these languages completely and show how the words translate into what you understand English words like "demonology" as you understand it in the modern world.
    • For example, one concept (שד) is an aspect of nature/reality that is "programmed" to automatically work in a negative way if a person is not holding by the Torah correctly. Said (שד) has no free will. It has no form/body. It has no thoughts or desires. No different than an earthquake has none of these things or a tsunami or the swarm of locusts. In some aspects of ancient Jewish though this could also be defined as the work of (שדים). Most modern westerners would not call that "demonology" they would call it natural disasters.
  2. The Talmud is made up various components. Not all of them are halakha. The Aggada parts of it are not required for a Jew to accept. If a Jew sees something in the Aggada that they disagree with or said thing has been proven wrong then there is no need to hold by it. That is an ancient rule in the Torath Mosheh Jewish community.
  3. No Torath Mosheh Jew learns Talmud from videos. That is something is learned face to face and only from people who are prove to be experts in it. Further, there are some videos on YouTube that are Jews teaching other Jews who already have an idea of what they are learning about.

but just that the video had explained the basis of our origins and why we are here, and the origin of evil and why we struggle and feel pain in life

As a Torath Mosheh Jew I can tell you, that is also not what the video was explaining. You may want to contact Rabbi Skobac and ask if your assessment is correct. He does a regular show on Tenak Talk on YouTube and from what I understand he is really approachable.

Jews for Judaism | Jews for Judaism Staff - Michael Skobac

Ehav4Ever

I'm not really sure about that because in watching your videos, I would have trusted that the English translation by itself that you gave was accurately conveying what was written in Hebrew.

That is something that is different culturally. One of the reasons that my videos sometimes can be so long is because I am "attemptin" to try and convey an idea to people who may have no connection to the culture that produced the idea. Thus, my translation is an attempt. Torath Mosheh Jews are required to challenge and research all claims and ideas - thus my translation is similar to a crutch. The better situation for a Torath Mosheh is to walk without crutches and teach others how to walk without them.

Because hearing the Hebrew that you read, really didn't mean anything to me and was slightly discomfortable listening to.

That is fine but take into account that my vidoes are mostly done for Jews and Noachides for whom the Hebrew is important and are comfortable with learning directly from a source rather than a translation that may not fully explain what is going on in the original. ;)

But wouldn't that only apply to an English non-Jewish person who translated the Hebrew into English? Because to me, I don't see the problem with an English translation of Hebrew writing if the Hebrew was translated by a Jew who knew Hebrew. :confused:

Torath Mosheh Jews have a different when it comes to translation. Because Hebrew is our national language, and because any translation is lacking when it comes to a "personal" knowlege of our national language all translations, including Jewish one are not our priority. Seee the below on this issue on the importance of Torath Mosheh Jewish parents teaching their children Hebrew.

74886_5ab44a12910760570453c6496d8ae483.png

The following was something I posted on another thread concerning translation.
81699_89cbb4f643372acf42133e738e42c9d1.png

81720_d8fc951a63f25c686e32d2dad126e580.png

81721_aff16ded9648fafb314ce9bae9c1bfd2.png

81724_619752700e3a3895ce8223efb62a9040.png

Attachments

• clear.png
    clear.png
    137 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:

Ehav4Ever

BTW - The video you posted has a number of problems with it.
  1. He uses a lot of pictures in his video that are not at all Jewish nor were they drawn by Jews. There are a number of them that Christian paintings that have no connection to Jews whatsoever.
  2. He doesn't explain what the Mishnah first states prior to the Gemara. This would prove that he actually knows the subject matter that what he is quoting comes from.
  3. He doesn't explain the structure of the Talmud and that often he is quoting one person's opinion on a particular topic and not a sweeping statement of what all rabbis mentioned in the Talmud held by.
  4. He also inserts pictures fom non-Jewish cultures into the subject when in reality the Talmud has no pictues in it. I.e. he is giving the impression that the Talmud is the source of said pictures.
  5. He further never explained what is the difference between halakha and aggada.
All in all, one way to prove out what he does know is for him to take the original text (Hebrew and Aramaic) and start at the Mishnah then work his way through the Gemara.

Swede01

How should I do if I want to convert to Reform Judaism in the future? I once thought about converting around 3 years ago but I swept it under the rug after that. The problem is that only Orthodox Judaism exists in Sweden and not even in my city.

What should I do according to you?

Ehav4Ever

How should I do if I want to convert to Reform Judaism in the future? I once thought about converting around 3 years ago but I swept it under the rug after that. The problem is that only Orthodox Judaism exists in Sweden and not even in my city.

What should I do according to you?

Are you currently looking to convert through Orthodox Judaism?