1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judaism and Supplemental Material

Discussion in 'Religions Q&A' started by David Davidovich, Jun 23, 2022 at 10:28 PM.

1. David Davidovich

David Davidovich Active Member

Ratings:
    +82
    Religion:
    None
    Even though, I'm putting this thread in the Religious Q&A section, I'm hoping that no one gets offended if their comments are questioned or disagreed with. Because I know with myself, I will question something for clarity or disagree with something if it looks like it's not true or doesn't make sense to me.

ALSO, I WANTED TO POINT OUT THAT IS IS A VERY LONG OP, HOWEVER, I WASN'T INTENDTING THAT EVERY WORD BE READ, BUT I AM POSTING THIS INFORMATION AS A GUIDE AS TO WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT. THEREFORE, I'M HOPING THAT NO ONE GETS OFFENDED AND COMPLAINS ABOUT THE OP BEING TOO LONG.

But what I would like to know is: Why does Judaism use supplemental material, which is in addition to the Torah and the Tanakh such as the Talmud and the Midrash in addition to the words and the guidance of Sages and Scholars?

And the reason why I asked because I had gotten into a very interesting and informational conversation with someone who considered himself to be a Torath Mosheh Jew, and I had gotten the impression from him that the Torath Mosheh Jews are the only true Jews, and that Judaism isn't even an appropriate designation for true Jewish faith.

Also, our conversation stated in my #post #76(hyper link) on page 4 of the Trinity claims that the Jews believed that a Son is equal to his Father thread, and you can click on either link to follow the discussion. However, the points that I wanted to highlight are starting with post #246(hyperlink) where the poster that I was talking to, Ehav4Eve, said:

And in #post #264(hyperlink)

Therefore, please share your thoughts and opinions on this topic.

2. Harel13

Harel13 Am Yisrael Chai
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,564
    Religion:
    Orthodox Judaism
    The answer is pretty simple: Jews believe in the existence of the Oral Torah, also handed down in Sinai. The Oral Torah in written form (and this has only been the case in the last 2000-1400 years, depending what source we're talking about) is expressed via all of these other books and texts.

As for the terminology - that has varied between communities around the diaspora and still does, but to a lesser extent. I myself don't mind the lables Orthodox Jew or Dati Leumi (=National Religious) or religious Jew, if you want to get specific. If not, plain "Jew" is equally fine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ehav4Ever

Ehav4Ever Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,181
    Religion:
    Torath Mosheh
    The following may help.

4. Ehav4Ever

Ratings:
    +1,181
    Religion:
    Torath Mosheh
    Now that Shabbat has ended here in Israel I can address your question in more detail. See the following from the Jewish Encyclopedia.

upload_2022-6-25_21-3-21.png
    upload_2022-6-25_21-4-13.png
    upload_2022-6-25_21-5-39.png

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ehav4Ever

Ratings:
    +1,181
    Religion:
    Torath Mosheh
    Because for Torath Mosheh Jews and Orthodox Jews, the Talmud Midrash, guidance of Torah based Jewish leaders such as Rabbis, Hachamim, Rebbes, and Morim is because.
    1. The word Torah describes both the written and the oral Torah.
    2. The word Torah (תורה) comes from the Hebrew root that means instruction (ירה).
    3. The there are a numerous instructions/commands in the Hebrew text of the Torah and the rest of the Tanakh directs Torath Mosheh and Orthodox Jews to perform the Torah per the Oral Torah. The Oral Torah is found in the Mishnah, Talmuds, Midrashim, and the words and guidance of Rabbis, Hachamim, Rebbes, and Morim.
    Please note: That when a Jew tells you that she/he is Orthodox or Dati Leumi they are telling you they are a Torath Mosheh Jew. Orthodox Jew/Judaism and Dati Leumi are simply modern terms used in some communities to describe a certain type of Torath Mosheh Jew. See below from the Jewish Encyclopedia.

upload_2022-6-25_21-27-7.png

#5 Ehav4Ever, Jun 25, 2022 at 1:17 PM
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2022 at 1:27 PM
  6. Ehav4Ever

Ratings:
    +1,181
    Religion:
    Torath Mosheh
    Shavua tov. I think their question was more about the etymology of the words. For example, as far as I know "historically" Jews who happened to be Hellenists never called what they were doing "Hellenistic Judaism" nor did they claim what that Hellenistic aspect of whatever they were doing came from Mount Sinai. I think that is the source of the question.

7. Harel13

Harel13 Am Yisrael Chai
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,564
    Religion:
    Orthodox Judaism
    Shavua tov.
    Could be.
    I'm pretty sure Philo would disagree on the latter point.