• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judaism and Supplemental Material

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
@David Davidovich ,

You asked about the sotah ritual. In Chabad we are taught that the Sotah ritual communicates the importance of peace and harmony in the home, Shalom HaBayit. Normally one cannot erase the divine name, but here, it is permitted to bring peace in the home.

David Davidovich

@David Davidovich ,

You asked about the sotah ritual. In Chabad we are taught that the Sotah ritual communicates the importance of peace and harmony in the home, Shalom HaBayit. Normally one cannot erase the divine name, but here, it is permitted to bring peace in the home.
Okay, thanks. Also, I found what I was asking about, but it was in another thread. But what was said was that Hashem gave both written instructions and oral instructions:
Because according to Torath Mosheh, Hashem dictated the words to include in the Written text of the Torah to Mosheh ben-Amram. Mosheh ben-Amram wrote down exactly what Hashem told him to write, exactly as Hashem told him to write it. The other half of the Torah, the Oral One, has additional details about what perspectives Jews can gain from the situation. According to Torath Mosheh both the written Torah and oral Torah come from Hashem, thus what is in the written text is Hashem's perspective given in order for Jews to get certain lessons out the information language and idiom that would recognizable to Jews based on both the language of the Torah and Jewish culture around it.
Click here.
However, I would guess that the oral Torah probably got written down at one point or the other.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
Okay, thanks. Also, I found what I was asking about, but it was in another thread. But what was said was that Hashem gave both written instructions and oral instructions:

Click here.
However, I would guess that the oral Torah probably got written down at one point or the other.

Well, yes, it was written, but it was not dictated by God, and it was written much later. What we have now is a mix of what was rec'd and what was developed via human insight. And I was told not all of it was written. Some is still only handed down teacher to student orally. Some of it was lost over time.

If you have time and are inclined, I think this is an excellent essay, written by a faculty member of New York University. Oral Letter and Written Trace: Samson Raphael Hirsch's Defense of the Bible and Talmud

David Davidovich

Well, yes, it was written, but it was not dictated by God, and it was written much later. What we have now is a mix of what was rec'd and what was developed via human insight. And I was told not all of it was written. Some is still only handed down teacher to student orally. Some of it was lost over time.
But it makes things confusing when you find in the same sentence the words "both" and "come from Hashem." Because the ideas kind of blend together and a certain impression or perhaps 'misunderstanding' is created. :(
If you have time and are inclined, I think this is an excellent essay, written by a faculty member of New York University. Oral Letter and Written Trace: Samson Raphael Hirsch's Defense of the Bible and Talmud
I'll save that and will try to get around to it.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's My Birthday!
But it makes things confusing when you find in the same sentence the words "both" and "come from Hashem." Because the ideas kind of blend together and a certain impression or perhaps 'misunderstanding' is created. :(

Yes, I agree. And I'm sorry about that.

I'll save that and will try to get around to it.

Fair warning, it's kind of dry reading compared to some of the other topics you're exploring. If you decide not to read it, no problem.