• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jordan Peterson on Sex

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Repression causes transgression.
Unfortunately it's like this: the more you turn sex into a taboo, the more children and teenagers will want to have sex not out of romance and love, as a gift, but as a challenge, a chance to transgress. To break the taboo.

In Europe, especially in Scandinavia there is this theory that says, that the more you talk obsessively about sex to teenagers, the more they will be more and more careful about taking that step. So they will idealize it.

Last edited:

Firenze

Premium Member
Unfortunately it's like this: the more you turn sex into a taboo, the more children and teenagers will want to have sex not out of romance and love, as a gift, but as a challenge, a chance to transgress. To break the taboo.

In Europe, especially in Scandinavia there is this theory that says, that the more you talk obsessively about sex to teenagers, the more they will be more and more careful about taking that step. So they will idealize it.
It's precisely why the US has the highest sex crime rates of any industrialized nation. It's also why European countries have had unisex restrooms for decades while repressed Americans lose their minds over the thought of it - following the religious bigotry and ignorance that allows them to demonize gay and trans people. Christianity has much to answer for.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
You may do. My objection is his deliberate blurring between being an academic and a pundit. Clinical work is published in appropriate journals. 12 Rules For Life is an opinion piece.
I don't think he has ever suggested otherwise.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I don't think his message was creating a "taboo" but rather giving the guidelines for safe, enjoyable and healthy sex. Not even repressing it but opening to its full capacity that brings the biggest fulfillment.

Like we do with speed limits. Safe driving.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
His punditry is informed by his work as a clinician.

A lot of his positions contradict those of medical organizations and are based more on personal views and ideology than peer-reviewed evidence, such as his simplification of the "masculine" and "feminine" into "archetypes" of "order" and "chaos" and his ideas on monogamy that literally no major organization of psychologists supports. This is without touching on his views on gender dysphoria, some of which are, again, a major divergence from current peer-reviewed positions, or his "lobster" argument that other experts have responded to and refuted in detail.

I suspect that Peterson himself probably knows this, hence his promulgation of many of his views in personal lectures, heavily partisan outlets (e.g., the Daily Wire), and books that don't need to pass peer review rather than in rigorous academic circles or peer-reviewed publications.

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm starting to really appreciate his viewpoints.

I don't see anything there that is based on peer-reviewed science; he's merely giving his opinion, which is colored by his ideological worldview. He's free to have his own views, of course, but I think it's important to distinguish between the personal views of experts and evidence-based positions.

Parenthetically, the title of the video strikes me as typical YouTube clickbait. I find such titles to be counterproductive and conducive to polarization rather than understanding and stimulation of thought.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd like to think you're making this **** up...

Well, I'll let you be the judge based on the words of the man himself:

I think such videos make it clear why some of his views are not remotely shared by reputable psychology organizations.

Edit: Actually, I think "masculine" and "feminine" are more appropriate here than "men" and "women," since the former are the exact terms he uses. Either way, though, I think his argument is a simplification that is simply not supported by rigorous evidence.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I don't think his message was creating a "taboo" but rather giving the guidelines for safe, enjoyable and healthy sex. Not even repressing it but opening to its full capacity that brings the biggest fulfillment.

Like we do with speed limits. Safe driving.
I do agree with Peterson, especially because it was a question more related to the #metoo movement. :)
I think he kinda digress...a little bit.

In my opinion, it's a matter of culture. The #metoo movement is the 21st century sub-product of the cultural framework that sees sex as a taboo.

I think in Europe sex is openly discussed 24/7, because there's less shame.
So before sex is actually made, people discuss about it so much, that there are no misunderstandings about consent, which is the main topic of the #metoo movement.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I think such videos make it clear why some of his views are not remotely shared by reputable psychology organizations.
I think we have a connection problem... the site looks different now.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Edit: Actually, I think "masculine" and "feminine" are more appropriate here than "men" and "women," since the former are the exact terms he uses. Either way, though, I think his argument is a simplification that is simply not supported by rigorous evidence.
Oh dear.

Firenze

Premium Member
His punditry is informed by his work as a clinician.

I thought his comments to be spot on.

I think we have already discovered that the "sexual revolution" wasn't all that it was cracked up to be.
Well, first off, the revolution is still going. Unfortunately, it keeps getting set back by the puritan repression of right wing Christians who whine about less government from one side of their mouth and then demand that education that makes them uncomfortable be denied out of the other.