• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Join the Surge of Support for our Troops!

jonny

This is in a conservative only forum. If you want to discuss how much you hate Bush's "oil war" and our troops, do it somewhere else.

Mitt Romney had a link to an article called "Join the Surge of Support for our Troops" on his homepage yesterday and I thought I'd share it with the conservatives on the forum. I think it's a good reminder of things we can do to show our support for our troops.

http://www.mittromney.com/Surge

Here are some of the organizations he recommends on his website:

America Supports You

"America Supports You," a nationwide program launched by the Department of Defense, recognizes citizens' support for our military men and women and communicates that support to members of our Armed Forces at home and abroad. ... America Supports You spotlights what Americans are doing all across the land, encourages others to join the team, and allows all to tell their stories by giving voice and visibility to their efforts.

The Fisher House

The Fisher House TM program is a unique private-public partnership that supports America's military in their time of need. The program recognizes the special sacrifices of our men and women in uniform and the hardships of military service by meeting a humanitarian need beyond that normally provided by the Departments of Defense and Veterans Affairs.

Operation Shoebox

Operation Shoebox was founded in 2003 in an effort to send support, snacks and much needed personal care items to our troops deployed outside of the USA and we encourage citizens to support their fighting men and women deployed overseas in these dangerous times.

Operation Thank You

Operation Thank You is an outreach ministry of the So Help Me God Project, a 501 nonprofit organization that inspires faith, promotes patriotism, and supports our troops by providing inspirational and patriotic resources and programs that honor God, country, servicemembers, veterans, and military families. We are a proud member of America Supports You, a nationwide program launched by the Department of Defense to recognize citizens' support of our military men and women at home and abroad.

Packages from Home

Packages From Home provides a way for you to Support Our Troops by donating goods for gift packages to remind troops that Americans support them; donating funds to defray mailing costs; or by volunteering your time to wrap and mail gift packages to deployed troops serving overseas.

A Soldier's Wish List

A Soldier's Wish List (ASWL) is a 501 non-profit organization established to support our troops who are serving overseas. We are involved with troopers deployed in Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, Kosovo, South Korea and Qatar. Our goal is to fulfill the wishes of our troops to the best of our abilities. This is our small way of letting our brave troopers know that we care about them and appreciate their sacrifices.

USO Care Packages

The United Service Organizations, Inc. (USO) is enlisting support of individuals around the world to support the troops through Operation USO Care Package. These packages are being delivered to members of the U.S. Armed Forces deployed around the world to show them they have not been forgotten and to provide a "touch of home."

jonny

If I had posted this thread in a general forum it would have turned into a liberal rant on how this is "Bush's oil war" and "we should support our troops by bringing them home." You and I both know that. I posted this in the conservative forum on purpose, and I hope the liberals will respect that.

You can't support the troops and not support what they are doing. It just doesn't work.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
You can't support the troops and not support what they are doing. It just doesn't work.
I know you don't want to turn this into a debate jonny but I just want to add that you can support the troops while opposing the war. I've stated that position to let's see.....probably a half dozen soldiers in person. It's not something they haven't heard, believe me. And they understand the difference.

Thank you very, very much for posting those links. Consider it your good deed for the week. :)

jonny

Thank you very, very much for posting those links. Consider it your good deed for the week. :)

No problem. If you know of any other organizations that do stuff like this, feel free to share them also. I'm looking at doing something for A Soldier's Wish List because it looks like they have stuff that is most within my budget. I prefer to be able to send the stuff on my own, rather than send an organization money and *hope* that most of it is used for the purpose of the donation.

Nanda

Polyanna

Sure you can. I do. I can still respect, support and care about someone even if I don't agree with their choices. Parents do it all the time. :) Besides, I know quite a few soldiers who oppose the war themselves, and you certainly can't say that they're not supporting our troops. ;)

jonny

This thread is in the Conservatives Only forum. If those who are not conservative want to create a thread so that they can express how they "hate the sin, but love the sinner" there are other places to do it.

There aren't many of us conservatives on these forums, but we should have at least one safe place where we can express our points of view without having to endure condencsending comments.

Nanda

Polyanna
This thread is in the Conservatives Only forum. If those who are not conservative want to create a thread so that they can express how they "hate the sin, but love the sinner" there are other places to do it.

There aren't many of us conservatives on these forums, but we should have at least one safe place where we can express our points of view without having to endure condencsending comments.

I'm sorry, jonny, I wasn't trying to condescend, I was just trying to say that I also support the troops. But no worries, I won't say anything else.

robtex

Veteran Member

Ok we got it, conservative only forum. Johnny please pick one of the groups you listed in the OP and tell us more about them. What you like about them, wish they were doing but aren't and how you feel about their mission statement if the organization has one.

jonny

Ok we got it, conservative only forum. Johnny please pick one of the groups you listed in the OP and tell us more about them. What you like about them, wish they were doing but aren't and how you feel about their mission statement if the organization has one.

Thanks.

I pulled the information from Romney's website, so I'm not really familar with all the organizations. One thing that I noticed on a lot of the websites is that they don't offer a way to support a soldier directly - you either have to already know one or donate money to them. I liked A Soldier's Wish List because they match you up with a soldier and you can send them care packages and letters. I already signed up and should hear something back in a few days.

This is what their mission is:

Our goal is to fulfill the wishes of our troops to the best of our abilities. This is our small way of letting our brave troopers know that we care about them and appreciate their sacrifices.

We conduct fundraisers, sell merchandise, and collect donations to finance sending care packages to our troops. We also match troopers to volunteers who would like send care packages to their own "adopted" trooper.

Romney's website doesn't mention these, but I also really like some of the organizations that help out the children and families of soldiers. Soldier's Angels and the Freedom Alliance Scholarship Fund are two that come to mind.

Booko

Deviled Hen
No problem. If you know of any other organizations that do stuff like this, feel free to share them also. I'm looking at doing something for A Soldier's Wish List because it looks like they have stuff that is most within my budget. I prefer to be able to send the stuff on my own, rather than send an organization money and *hope* that most of it is used for the purpose of the donation.

Girl Scouts are always looking for projects like this. Anyone who would like to help a Girl Scout troop interested in a project to send some much needed supplies to help support our troops, call your local GS Council Office and see if they can put you in touch with someone.

Ciscokid

Sure you can. I do. I can still respect, support and care about someone even if I don't agree with their choices. Parents do it all the time. :) Besides, I know quite a few soldiers who oppose the war themselves, and you certainly can't say that they're not supporting our troops. ;)

Absolutely. I'm a Ron Paul lovin conservative but I hope to hell someone sane gets our troops home.