• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John believes in a god, Joe doesn't. Who's right?

We Never Know

No Slack
John and Joe have an argument. John thinks there is a god and life after death.
Joe doesn't think there is a god or life after death.

Who's right?

Isn't their argument pointless being neither John or Joe can speak with the dead, so in reality neither one knows?

Being neither one knows why do they argue? Is it just human nature to argue and we will find reasons to do so regardless?

amorphous_constellation

The problem is, that is doesn't really tell us much. What is John's argument. Is he a genius? Is Joe? What is the content of the argument, or are we supposed to fill that in with our own minds

We Never Know

No Slack
The problem is, that is doesn't really tell us much. What is John's argument. Is he a genius? Is Joe? What is the content of the argument, or are we supposed to fill that in with our own minds

A god can neither be proven nor disproven which shows the argument is nothing more than a personal choice of arguing.
Why would people argue about something that can't be known or shown....unless its just human nature to argue and we will find reasons to do so regardless?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

Who's right?

Isn't their argument pointless being neither John or Joe can speak with the dead, so in reality neither one knows?

Being neither one knows why do they argue? Is it just human nature to argue and we will find reasons to do so regardless?
I believe that John is right even though that can never be proven.
People argue because of ego. The less we need to be right the less we will argue.
Moreover, if we know what we believe is true then there is no need to convince other people.
I stopped arguing long ago. People are free to believe whatever they want to and so am I.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
A god can neither be proven nor disproven which shows the argument is nothing more than a personal choice of arguing.
Why would people argue about something that can't be known or shown....unless its just human nature to argue and we will find reasons to do so regardless?

Probably because it's an emotive topic and both sides go in feeling they are correct.

epronovost

Isn't that fallacious way of presenting the problem (it begs the question btw)? I mean, if there is no life after death, it would indeed be impossible to speak to the dead. Thus, if Joe is correct, neither of them should be able to communicate with the dead. The fact that neither can is evidence towards Joe's hypothesis.

While certainty isn't something that is always achievable and is in fact incredibly rare, that doesn't mean that humans can't think in shades of grey or in a probabilistic manner. If certainty isn't possible, why not argue about reasonability? While neither John or Joe can be certain of anything and neither can confirm their respective belief and convert it into a fact, it might very well be possible distinguish which belief is most probable and reasonable given the available body of facts.

Last edited:

QuestioningMind

Who's right?

What about Jim who doesn't think that a god does exist but doesn't take the position that a god doesn't exist? That's me. I don't believe that a god does exist, because I'm still waiting to be convinced by some form of verifiable evidence.

Who's right?...

I would start by listening their arguments. For me the one who has best arguments wins.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Who's right?

It doesn't matter in itself, but it might when we have what usually follows - a multitude of religious beliefs dividing us humans, often all claiming to be correct, and often many willing to fight over. And for what?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Who's right?

Its fine unless the discussion turns to policy for the community. What should the common laws be? Let us suppose that people care about the afterlife. Then they may care about how policy affects that afterlife, and so they may wish to set policy.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Why does it have to be an argument, why can't it be a discussion?
It invariably turns from discussion to argument because one side has nothing whatever going for it, and therefore cannot really discuss, but only make unsupportable claims.

Joe, on the other hand, can point to a wealth of what we already do know, as humans, and demonstrate how they all seem to point to his case. He can bring up, for example, what happens to consciousness under an anaesthetic, that would be assumed not to happen when the brain is turned to soup. He can point to the answers science seems to provide for how things work -- and demonstrate that there's practically no room for "gods" to intervene. He can go further and demonstrate that, except in some old books nobody can really attest to, "gods" never do seem to intervene at all anymore.

But while Joe is making those arguments, what is John left with? "This is what I believe! This is what I KNOW! So it must be true, and so there!"

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Who's right?

If they have no criteria to their points, I'd say it's an empty argument. I find the problem is Joe and John are looking at their arguments from different foundations. They can't win if they don't agree or even know the rules of the playing field.