• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John Adams on Church & State: "What a mercy it is."

Smoke

Done here.
Adams wrote in May 1817 to Thomas Jefferson:

Oh! Lord! Do you think that a Protestant Popedom is annihilated in America? Do you recollect, or have you ever attended to the ecclesiastical Strifes in Maryland, Pensilvania, New York, and every part of New England? What a mercy it is that these People cannot whip and crop, and pillory and roast, as yet in the U.S.! If they could they would.​

Two months later he wrote, also to Jefferson:

I cannot contemplate human Affairs without laughing or crying. I choose to laugh. When People talk of the Freedom of Writing Speaking or thinking, I canot choose but laugh. No such thing ever existed. No such thing now exists; but I hope it will exist. But it must be hundreds of years after you and I shall write and speak no more.​

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Is it wrong that I heard Paul Giamatti's voice as I read those?

He was probably correct...

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Fascinating. Adams really nailed the mindset of a certain class of religious people.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
What's odd is that the US seems so antiquated now with our constitutional "rights" according to many in Europe.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Those were awesome words by Adams. It never fails to move me how visionary the Framers were, and how much what we call "strict constructionism" today is a perversion of what they would have called functional constitutionalism....

*sigh*

I am a rabbi, and nobody would be happier than I would if religion and politics really were separated...again.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
These guys were so far ahead of their time, it is almost hard to imagine.

Now, we watch as people like Limbaugh, Palin, Hannity, Beck and their ilk twist the very words of these great thoughts. And make money doing so.