• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John 5:36-40 (Sola Scriptura)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Here is the thing. Believers are creating so many offerings that "they do not know" to their God is wrong. No offense but you are not an exception. You are offering Him a dish by sharing your faith and believing what you are interpeting from scripture is right and telling others who differ in belief as wrong....but you have to at least understand that we all dont have to make the same dishes as you. Hence the reason for faith.

On that note just because you believe does not make it fact. My relatives belief in God does not make it or Him any more real if you said He existed.

Offerings, dishes, are personal. Our conviction in our religions are by faith. As long as you hold a "I know what God is saying in scripture and you dont" there will always be a hinderence in learning from someone who differs.

If you cannot understand at least and/or see the truth in another persons beliefs without defending your own, or telling them they are wrong, how can you have conversations with people who do not share your exact views?

Yes, you are correct, just because i might believe something, does not prove that it is a fact. But there are true facts to be found.

And the way we find them is to test peoples beliefs against the scriptures. The Apostle John told us to do this; 1John 4:1 Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired statement,*+ but test the inspired statements* to see whether they originate with God,+ for many false prophets have gone out into the world.
If they are speaking truth according to what God has revealed in the scriptures, it will show itself.

But if they are not speaking according to Gods holy spirit, that will also show itself by their contradiction of Gods Word.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If you are talking to a christian than I agree with you because your "common demomintor" is scripture...that which you both agree. So you can correct him and him likewise.

With you and a non believer that will not work. Both of your source or truth are different..so how can you correct that person and her likewise?

You need a common foundation of truth so when one is corrected they see in relation to that source itself rather than your beliefs of it.

Yes, you are correct, just because i might believe something, does not prove that it is a fact. But there are true facts to be found.

And the way we find them is to test peoples beliefs against the scriptures. The Apostle John told us to do this; 1John 4:1 Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired statement,*+ but test the inspired statements* to see whether they originate with God,+ for many false prophets have gone out into the world.
If they are speaking truth according to what God has revealed in the scriptures, it will show itself.

But if they are not speaking according to Gods holy spirit, that will also show itself by their contradiction of Gods Word.

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
If you are talking to a christian than I agree with you because your "common demomintor" is scripture...that which you both agree. So you can correct him and him likewise.

With you and a non believer that will not work. Both of your source or truth are different..so how can you correct that person and her likewise?

You need a common foundation of truth so when one is corrected they see in relation to that source itself rather than your beliefs of it.

I guess if you dont really believe in God, then its going to make any discussion completely pointless. Unless you are a person looking for reasons to believe in God, then the bible can help in that regard. But if you've decided God does not exist then there is not much point using bible scriptures to try and make a point that you dont believe in to start with.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You are the first Christian online I know who got this! I mean you can use the Bible without the goal to have them believe as you do. Many people have gave their life to Christ without needing anyone to tell them "this book is true". They see the persons actions (the witnessing) and the conviction in faith (the discipline) that takes one to be Jehovahs followers. In my opinion, i can read the whole bible but if i dont experience it with His Body it means nothing.

So I wouldnt throw out using the bible when discusing your faith with non believers. No one knows where their heart is. Just talk with a respect and understanding of their belief as you would like them to understand and believe yours.

I guess if you dont really believe in God, then its going to make any discussion completely pointless. Unless you are a person looking for reasons to believe in God, then the bible can help in that regard. But if you've decided God does not exist then there is not much point using bible scriptures to try and make a point that you dont believe in to start with.

Kolibri

You are the first Christian online I know who got this! I mean you can use the Bible without the goal to have them believe as you do. Many people have gave their life to Christ without needing anyone to tell them "this book is true". They see the persons actions (the witnessing) and the conviction in faith (the discipline) that takes one to be Jehovahs followers. In my opinion, i can read the whole bible but if i dont experience it with His Body it means nothing.

So I wouldnt throw out using the bible when discusing your faith with non believers. No one knows where their heart is. Just talk with a respect and understanding of their belief as you would like them to understand and believe yours.

I think about this too. It is one of the reasons I usually quote scripture along with a comment or post. My words may not mean anything by themselves, but...

"For the word of God is alive and exerts power and is sharper than any two-edged sword and pierces even to the dividing of the soul and spirit, and of joints from the marrow, and is able to discern thoughts and intentions of the heart." - Hebrews 4:12

My personal words may be comforting or may spark ridicule, but with God's written word being alive, we never know when the actual verse will plant a seed for future spiritual growth.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I understad and see it as this. Abraham was a child of God, Moses, going up to Jesus as well as the a postles. All of you today and before are Gods creation. Whatever comes from your mouth is that of faith why would I believe your words are less inspired that that of scripture?

Trust in your words. When the appostles went among the gentiles they didnt just take out the hebrew scriptures and went by them. They witnessed "also" by their own personal experience. Sometimes using your own words connects people better.

Unless its personal preference of course I see more advantage of speaking from your heart especially when you dont have a bible on hand.

I think about this too. It is one of the reasons I usually quote scripture along with a comment or post. My words may not mean anything by themselves, but...

"For the word of God is alive and exerts power and is sharper than any two-edged sword and pierces even to the dividing of the soul and spirit, and of joints from the marrow, and is able to discern thoughts and intentions of the heart." - Hebrews 4:12

My personal words may be comforting or may spark ridicule, but with God's written word being alive, we never know when the actual verse will plant a seed for future spiritual growth.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

You are translating "the word of God" "God's written word". But the written word translates "the Word of God" "Jesus".

John 1:14
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
Revelation 19:13
He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If The Son of God is God's Word and the Bible is God's word then there are two. It is written you can't obey two masters. So how does it work for you when you apply Hebrews 4:12 to the Bible which is man's written word and not to The Son who is spirit?

Psalm 145:18
יְ֭הוָה is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.

Is the written word near all?

John 4: 23"But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers. 24"God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."

Where is it written that those who worship God must worship with the word and understanding?

Philippians 3:3
For it is we who are the circumcision, we who serve God by his Spirit, who boast in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh

When you trust God's written word to lead you you are putting your confidence in flesh. Scripture was heard by people of flesh, written by people of flesh, translated by people of flesh, understood by people of flesh and explained by people of flesh.

But of Jesus it is written "this is my son the beloved, listen to him".