• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jogging or running

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I was having a heated debate in a Facebook running motivation group. One lady said she's gone through this and that and put effort into being a runner and wondered why people call themselves (real) runners when they are joggers.

She says runners have a pace of 10 and faster. Any higher then theyre a jogger. She says why can't they call themselves joggers?

Now don't get me wrong. Some jog and some run. But I'd think running is defined by the effort and progress of being/becoming a runner not how fast you are. Your mindset-are you relaxed, shooting the breeze at a steady pace or constantly challenging yourself in sweat and tears?

I'd assume most know the difference. How do you define a runner?

Some say you need to win a race. Some say you have to be a professional. Some say if it's your passion.

Thought I get you guyies insight.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I was having a heated debate in a Facebook running motivation group. One lady said she's gone through this and that and put effort into being a runner and wondered why people call themselves (real) runners when they are joggers.

She says runners have a pace of 10 and faster. Any higher then theyre a jogger. She says why can't they call themselves joggers?

Now don't get me wrong. Some jog and some run. But I'd think running is defined by the effort and progress of being/becoming a runner not how fast you are. Your mindset-are you relaxed, shooting the breeze at a steady pace or constantly challenging yourself in sweat and tears?

I'd assume most know the difference. How do you define a runner?

Some say you need to win a race. Some say you have to be a professional. Some say if it's your passion.

Thought I get you guyies insight.
if one foot touch the ground at any given time you are jogging, so if your pace is fast enough that both feets are in the air you are running, that is of course only my own definition of those two :)

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I thought runners were those colorful strips people laid out over the table.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
if one foot touch the ground at any given time you are jogging, so if your pace is fast enough that both feets are in the air you are running, that is of course only my own definition of those two :)

So, by your definition, as I sit here and type this, I am jogging.

Also, by your definition, what's the difference between running and flying?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
People join a running club, participants of whatever pace are called runners.

Dead bodies in parks are reported in the local press as being discovered by a jogger. The same local press will report on the runners in a local half marathon. One of those runners may be the jogger that discovered the body.

People who don't engage in such exercise call such exercisers joggers when on pavements, runners if in a race.

Fartlek involves quicker and slower paces.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
"Difference Between Jogging and Running
Jogging and running are both different in pace and execution. Jogging is a low to moderate intensity where the speed is low, but the exercise bout can last up to hours. The technique used when jogging prioritizes stamina over speed and power output. Jogging primarily focuses on training the aerobic energy system with some utilization of the aerobic pathways and is recommended to develop a baseline endurance level.

Running, on the other hand, is a moderate to high intensity running pace. The speed is relatively high, and you’re working around the lactate threshold. Running trains primarily the anaerobic system with some cross over to aerobic system as exercise bouts increases. Additionally, running can last for long durations, but the average running bout lasts between twenty-five to sixty minutes. The technique places a greater emphasis on speed and power but not as much as sprinting."

The Difference Between Jogging, Running and Sprinting | Your House Fitness.

So pretty much that.

The useful thing about the interwebz...you can find pretty much anything.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Jogging and running are both different in pace and execution. Jogging is a low to moderate intensity where the speed is low, but the exercise bout can last up to hours. The technique used when jogging prioritizes stamina over speed and power output. Jogging primarily focuses on training the aerobic energy system with some utilization of the aerobic pathways and is recommended to develop a baseline endurance level.

So if I did an ultra marathon over more than one day, I'd be jogging.

Running, on the other hand, is a moderate to high intensity running pace. The speed is relatively high, and you’re working around the lactate threshold. Running trains primarily the anaerobic system with some cross over to aerobic system as exercise bouts increases. Additionally, running can last for long durations, but the average running bout lasts between twenty-five to sixty minutes. The technique places a greater emphasis on speed and power but not as much as sprinting."

One of, if not the most popular race distances is the half marathon. Most participants will be on the course for well over 60 minutes. You can't comfortably do a HM if your typical bouts are 25-60 minutes.

So pretty much that.

Or not, imo.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
To what authority, then, do we appeal to determine what the difference between jogging and running is?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
And for the record, the only time someone will see me running or jogging is if someone is chasing me with a deadly weapon.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I know some people who have less than 10 minute miles doing race walking. Weird to think a walk is also a jog at the same time.

Eyes to See

I like to jog 10 kilometers a day, 4 or 5 days a week, usually takes 45 minutes. I always considered it jogging. I think running is too much. Worse wear on the shins and knees too. I might once in awhile sprint, what I would call running, the last kilometer or 2 to get the "runner's high."

Shaul

Premium Member
Well to be facetious, a jogger is someone using a running gait while thinking about stuff like the wonders of nature. While a runner is someone using a running gait while one of those wonders of nature is chasing him to try to turn him into a meal.
:fearscream: