• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jewish and Pagan Interfaith Activities, has this ever happened?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
If not, I know most Pagans would be willing, and I wonder if most Jews would also be willing?

Levite

Higher and Higher
If not, I know most Pagans would be willing, and I wonder if most Jews would also be willing?

I have never heard of any formal interfaith dialogues between Jews and Pagans. I don't know any reason there couldn't be dialogues, although we would be unable to participate in shared prayer services (that's not specific to Pagans, but applies to most non-Jewish faiths).

I had a few informal interfaith dialogues with Pagans in college-- there were a whole lot of Pagans, Wiccans, Hermetics, and other nontraditional Western practitioners at the school I went to. As a matter of fact, a very nice guy who was a Hermetic/Pagan syncretic practitioner taught me how to read tarot. Great guy. Phenomenal head for Latin, and incredible stamina for smoking weed.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I think Levite a Jewish-Pagan interfaith dialogue would be interesting considering that they share something in common. Judaism was the religion of ancient Israel, and Pagan religions were the religions of much of the ancient world. They're both ancient.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
All neo-pagans I've discussed with had a very shallow understanding of the religious phenomena in our world.
that didn't stop us from having a good time though.

In Biblical times it would be the job of the priestly class, or the rabbis as it were to purge Jewish society from their influence. :cool:

Levite

Higher and Higher
In Biblical times it would be the job of the priestly class, or the rabbis as it were to purge Jewish society from their influence. :cool:

I'll try to take that under consideration if it starts looking like Jews are suddenly going over to Paganism.... ;)

I think any "purging Jewish society" is probably more relevant to Christianity and secular assimilationism.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I'll try to take that under consideration if it starts looking like Jews are suddenly going over to Paganism.... ;)

I think any "purging Jewish society" is probably more relevant to Christianity and secular assimilationism.
Secular assimilation has already 'won' in that regard. not because Jews gave up 'being Jewish'. but because Jews are reasonable people, they can retain their identity, morality and way of life, while being in complete agreement with the spirit of change. some Christians put all their faith on JC, some Jews put all their faith on traditional texts or 'religion', many other Jews decide to perfect their heritage and legacy by themselves, their own experience, and using their own heads. instead of on what old and perhaps sexually inactive old men thought.

Last edited:

Vintermunder

Gardnerian, Wycroft line
Most of my coven come from jewish family backgrounds so we usually get together for things like Purim <sp?> and since the times of the year we have our rituals and time times of year for the jewish holidays are pretty close there have been a few times where we have lit the menorah and sang before going into the temple.

Nisou Kitsune

Resident Anime Freak
All neo-pagans I've discussed with had a very shallow understanding of the religious phenomena in our world.
that didn't stop us from having a good time though.

A "very shallow" understanding, huh? Tell me, what do you mean, in detail please. As a pagan, I would love to know what it is that I am missing.

Also, to the OP (who I see is banned :/), I do not see why we would need any formal dialogues with any religion other than "We are cool with you if you are cool with us." When things start to become unequal is when we need dialogue, but not between faiths. That is best left as a political battle IMO.

Last edited: