• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus was educated in Nalanda, India

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
It seems more likely that the legend of Yeshua was created from a regular man who very little was actually written about because it was no longer about the man but a warped ideology that grew into an incredible legend. His birth must have been spectacular and he was obviously born of a virgin (I mean look at all the other saviors from other stories around the area during that time. He had to one up them) and what he did primarily during his adult life would have been important. So it makes sense that there was an in depth legend about how he was potty trained or brought up in his teens.

A question that always confused me as a child (when I believed) was If Jesus was the son of god and he existed prior did he still have to learn how to talk, walk, ect? Was he totally self sufficient as an infant ? Why did he not start his ministry till far later?

And again the answer seems to be found in this idea that he was a legend based off of an ordinary man.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the Gospel of Thomas is pretty much everything. The Jefferson Bible was an attempt (and not a bad one, at that) by Thomas Jefferson to chronologically and logically order what Jesus said, leaving out all the references to miracles and divine stuff. They are very quick reads.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Had Jesus any knowledge of Indian philosophy, he would not have come up with a monotheistic religion with eternal hell for unbelievers. 'Vipra bahudha vadanti'.

Well, going back to those ancient historians that say they originally came from India - :) - They say they settled in Egypt first, - and the first known monotheistic religion comes from there.

outhouse

Atheistically
I think the Gospel of Thomas is pretty much everything. .

We can only hope.

I don't place much faith in that even being close to his words.

These authors were Romans and Hellenist far removed from any Aramaic Galileans life.

If they could even be traced to Aramaic Judaism, and they cannot at this time as there are no transliterations from the Aramaic language, at best we might have typical Galilean sayings.

We have no way to know if these were even tied to John The Baptist which Jesus teachings and these parables probably originated if they were traced back to him.

We had people claiming they heard him speak and repeated what they heard. Add a hundred years to that, and what the people actually heard and remembered in the first place, and what the authors needed to match OT prophecy and the direction of Judaism their Hellenistic sect wanted to follow, I have little doubt we have little from the actual man himself.

I keep hope and faith im wrong :eek:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, that's all very true. The same holds true for the Buddha. What he said or allegedly said was written, copied, transferred, interpreted, and so on. Even today we have soundbites taken completely out of context, made to suit a particular agenda. Truly, how much even more does that apply for peasants of the first century CE, and even the more educated who had an agenda?