• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus Said "It Is Finished"

Nova2216

OK, in harmony with that (I think), I realize we are all sinners with inborn tendency to sin. Some sins are worse than others. David, for instance, was beloved by God, but committed a great sin in God's eyes. Yet because he finally came to realize what he had done, God had mercy on him.

Men CHOOSE to sin.

Jos 24:15 ¶ And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

De 30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

Mt 12:50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

The word whosoever proves men have a choice in whether they sin or not or whether they go to heaven or hell.

Thanks

Last edited:

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
When sinful babies die do they go to hell?

What sin did any baby commit (b/c sin is committed not inherited)?
First of all, when Adam and Eve sinned, it was before they had children. Romans 5:14 helps, but yes, there are questions. However -- we can see that death 'ruled' from Adam to Moses, and really beyond.
Romans 5:14 "Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come."
As far as infants, you'd have to explain what you think hell is. Although it's quite a different topic.

YoursTrue

Men CHOOSE to sin.

Jos 24:15 ¶ And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

De 30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

Mt 12:50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

The word whosoever proves men have a choice in whether they sin or not or whether they go to heaven or hell.

Thanks
Actually, life and death that was set before men in De 30:19, those are not the same things are they? Life is not death, and death is not life.

YoursTrue

When sinful babies die do they go to hell?

What sin did any baby commit (b/c sin is committed not inherited)?
First of all, what would make someone think a baby who dies would go to hell as commonly taught by many religious leaders? And secondly, while it is heart-breaking to a parent or loved one when a child dies, wouldn't you agree that at a certain point we all sin so as to incur the death penalty?

VoidoftheSun

Necessary Heretical, Fundamentally Orthodox
In (John 19:30) Jesus said "it is finished".

Some claim this means man need not do anything to be saved, but then they go on to say you must believe.

Why do I need to believe if Jesus done it all on the cross?

(Jn.19:30) When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

Please notice that belief is a work according to (Jn. 6:28,29)..

28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? 29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

Friends, belief is a work. That means all those who teach one must believe to be saved is teaching they must do something in order to be saved.

That is not salvation by grace alone.

Thanks

Ok so now that Jesus is finished, how am I going to be saved?

Nova2216

Ok so now that Jesus is finished, how am I going to be saved?

Hear the gospel (Rom.10:17)
Believe the gospel (Jn 8:24)
Confess Jesus is the Son of God (Rom.10:9,10)
Repent of your sins (Luke 13:3)
Be Baptized (in water) for remission of your sins (Acts 2:38 ; 8:5,12,13,26-40) (Mark 16:16) (1Peter 3:20,21)
Be faithful unto death (Rev.2:10) (1Cor.15:58)

BeingSaved.org

What Must I Do To Be Saved?

Thanks for posting.

rrobs

I think I keep saying the exact same thing over and over because your replies seem to indicate you don't understand what I'm saying. To be clear:
  1. Holy spirit replaced water.
  2. All men (except Jesus) sin because they inherited Adam's fallen nature.
  3. We are saved and perfected by the works of Jesus, not our own works.
I think those are the main points we've discussed. Where have I said anything that would indicate vacillation on those points?

Nova2216

I think I keep saying the exact same thing over and over because your replies seem to indicate you don't understand what I'm saying. To be clear:
I think those are the main points we've discussed. Where have I said anything that would indicate vacillation on those points?

When were your sins forgiven?

1000s of yrs before you ever lived or sinned
At Belief
At Confession
At Repentance
At baptism in water
At Baptism in the Holy Spirit

Nova2216

Oh, I understand what your are saying. I also understand what you are saying does not harmonize with the word of God.

I can read or many individuals being baptized in water. In fact each conversion mentions baptism in (Acts). Paul had to "get up" and go to water (Acts 22:16). If it was a Holy Spirit baptism he could have been laying down or sitting and still be baptized in the Holy Spirit and yet he had to "arise" to be baptized.

Most scholars agree water baptism is (and was) a part of the salvation process until the so called enlightened scholars of the last 500 yrs or so.

Men are not saved by works men have devised but they "must do" something to be saved according to the words of Jesus in (Acts 9:6) (Acts 2:38,40) (1Peter 1:22,23).

Ac 9:6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.

Three days later Paul obeys what Ananias teaches him TO DO. (Acts 9:9)

(Acts 22:16)

1. arise,

2. and be baptized,

3. and wash away thy sins,

4. calling on the name of the Lord.

At what point was Paul's sins forgiven by the blood of Jesus?

BEFORE or AFTER
baptism?

rrobs

Oh, I understand what your are saying. I also understand what you are saying does not harmonize with the word of God.

I can read or many individuals being baptized in water. In fact each conversion mentions baptism in (Acts). Paul had to "get up" and go to water (Acts 22:16). If it was a Holy Spirit baptism he could have been laying down or sitting and still be baptized in the Holy Spirit and yet he had to "arise" to be baptized.

Most scholars agree water baptism is (and was) a part of the salvation process until the so called enlightened scholars of the last 500 yrs or so.

Men are not saved by works men have devised but they "must do" something to be saved according to the words of Jesus in (Acts 9:6) (Acts 2:38,40) (1Peter 1:22,23).

Ac 9:6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.

1. arise,

2. and be baptized,

BEFORE or AFTER baptism?
I explained Acts to you, but you want to think the Jews who practiced their faith one way for thousands of years suddenly changed overnight. Look at all the things the Apostles got wrong, especially Peter, when Jesus was with them in person. Is it reasonable to assume they suddenly got it all right in one day? There is even a record where a congregation pointed out to Paul that many of the Jews were still zealous for the law, and that was several years after Jesus left. Clearly they were a bit behind on the new program.

Have you read much about the renewed mind in Paul's letters? Basically, the new birth does not affect the mind. We don't suddenly become privy to all the things of God. Instead we must renew our mind by slowly but surely replacing our own natural man ideas with those of Christ. It can't possibly occur overnight, and yet that is what you want from the Apostles. Things just don't work that way.

What does 1 Peter 1:22-23 have to do with salvation? Looks like verse 22 is talking about loving the brothers and verse 23 is talking about how we are born again of incorruptible seed. Many Christians don't even believe verse 23. They think they can somehow change it into corruptible seed because they commit too many sins. That is an insult to Jesus who did do a complete job in effecting our salvation. People are always putting their own ideas into the scriptures instead of just reading and believing. Many don't believe the seed is really incorruptible.

Whatever the scholars, enlightened or otherwise, say does not matter. It's the word and nothing but the word.

Nova2216

*From my point of view, or God's?

* When were your sins forgiven?

1000s of yrs before you ever lived or sinned
At Belief
At Confession
At Repentance
At baptism in water
At Baptism in the Holy Spirit

Give me both answers.

I would think both answers should be the very same, but thats just me.

rrobs

1. arise,

2. and be baptized,

BEFORE or AFTER baptism?
I was reading Acts chapter 11 and noticed this:
Acts 11:15-16,

15And as I (peter) began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.

16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.​

I didn't see water anywhere in this chapter, other than it was superseded by holy spirit according to verse 16.

I mentioned to you the slow uptake the Apostles, including Peter, showed in adapting to the new regime. That is exactly what verse 16 is speaking about. It suddenly dawned on Peter the true medium of baptism, i.e. holy spirit, not water.

Two thousand years later, many Christians, too many, are still stuck in the old and have little to no clue about the new.

YoursTrue

I was reading Acts chapter 11 and noticed this:
Acts 11:15-16,

15And as I (peter) began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.

16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.​

I didn't see water anywhere in this chapter, other than it was superseded by holy spirit according to verse 16.

I mentioned to you the slow uptake the Apostles, including Peter, showed in adapting to the new regime. That is exactly what verse 16 is speaking about. It suddenly dawned on Peter the true medium of baptism, i.e. holy spirit, not water.

Two thousand years later, many Christians, too many, are still stuck in the old and have little to no clue about the new.
Being baptized with the Holy Spirit does not preclude water baptism. Just as when Jesus was baptized in water, the holy spirit descended like a dove. (Like a dove?)

rrobs

What do you mean by saved? The scriptures may speak of saved, or salvation, but how do you see it? Saved from what? or for what?
Saved is the Greek word "sozo" which means to be made whole. Adam was body, soul, and spirit. When he sinned he lost spirit and was thus no longer a whole person that God intended. We all inherited he same mess. The new birth restores us to body, soul, and spirit once again, hence we are made whole or saved.