• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus only Started one Church

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I don’t believe a priest said that. Your prejudice is clear.

Yes, it was hard to hear that. Seems to me it was 'his' (the priest) prejudice that is clear. This was in 1996.
How could going beyond Jesus' ransom sacrifice get anyone out of purgatory _______________

KW

Yes, it was hard to hear that. Seems to me it was 'his' (the priest) prejudice that is clear. This was in 1996.
How could going beyond Jesus' ransom sacrifice get anyone out of purgatory _______________

Anything is possible in the imagination.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Anything is possible in the imagination.
I like that you used the word imagination because there is No biblical purgatory found in the Bible.
I believe my Uncle is still ' sleeping ' (RIP) peacefully until Resurrection Day.
Resurrection Day meaning; Jesus' Millennium-Long Day of governing over Earth for a thousand years.
'Sleeping in death' as both Jesus and the OT both teach.
- Psalms 6:5; Psalms 13:3; Psalms 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5; John 11:11-14
Hopefully, if also now dead, that priest will have the opportunity to learn about everlasting life on Earth.
Or, as Jesus promised that humble meek people will inherit the Earth at Matthew 5:5 from Psalms 37:9-11.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I am just saying the Catholic Church is not “the church”. Jesus established the church,
As previously mentioned, the name of the Church evolved over time, going from "the Way", to "Christian", and eventually to "Catholic", the latter of which was the name used most of the time.

This link is from a non-Catholic source and deals with the early history of the Church, and it confirms what I posted to you: Christianity - Wikipedia

Reactions: KW

KW

I like that you used the word imagination because there is No biblical purgatory found in the Bible.
I believe my Uncle is still ' sleeping ' (RIP) peacefully until Resurrection Day.
Resurrection Day meaning; Jesus' Millennium-Long Day of governing over Earth for a thousand years.
'Sleeping in death' as both Jesus and the OT both teach.
- Psalms 6:5; Psalms 13:3; Psalms 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5; John 11:11-14
Hopefully, if also now dead, that priest will have the opportunity to learn about everlasting life on Earth.
Or, as Jesus promised that humble meek people will inherit the Earth at Matthew 5:5 from Psalms 37:9-11.

You are mistaken;

Is Purgatory in the Bible?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

No, Jesus' ransom death (Matthew 20:28) covers sin. It is Not Jesus' ransom plus burning after death.
When the Bible was translated into English the word Gehenna as translated into English as hell fire.
Gehenna was a garbage pit outside of Jerusalem where things were destroyed.
So, Gehenna is a fitting word for destruction, or as Psalms 92:7; Psalms 104:35 says 'destroyed forever'.
The wicked are destroyed forever, and the unrighteous are to be resurrected -> Acts of the Apostles 24:15.
Both the righteous and unrighteous are to be resurrected or awakened from death's sleep. Not death's fire.
That is why Jesus and the OT both teach 'sleep' in death according to John 11:11-14; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5

KW

No, Jesus' ransom death (Matthew 20:28) covers sin. It is Not Jesus' ransom plus burning after death.
When the Bible was translated into English the word Gehenna as translated into English as hell fire.
Gehenna was a garbage pit outside of Jerusalem where things were destroyed.
So, Gehenna is a fitting word for destruction, or as Psalms 92:7; Psalms 104:35 says 'destroyed forever'.
The wicked are destroyed forever, and the unrighteous are to be resurrected -> Acts of the Apostles 24:15.
Both the righteous and unrighteous are to be resurrected or awakened from death's sleep. Not death's fire.
That is why Jesus and the OT both teach 'sleep' in death according to John 11:11-14; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5

You don’t know what purgatory is. Purgatory is the final sanctification of the saved.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Here are the verses I find with Rome mentioned:
Acts of the Apostles 2:10; Acts of the Apostles 18:2; Acts of the Apostles 19:21; Acts of the Apostles 23:11
Acts of the Apostles 28:14; Acts of the Apostles 28:16; Romans 1:7; Romans 1:15; 2 Timothy 1:17
I can't find any verses that mention or connect Peter to Rome.
I was hoping someone would post the verses of Peter being in Rome.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
You don’t know what purgatory is. Purgatory is the final sanctification of the saved.
Sanctification of the saved, how ?
Jesus' ransom I find is what saves - Matthew 20:28. Jesus' blood is what saves - 1 John 1:7; Ephesians 1:7
Since the dead know nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5) how does fire save or sanctify them.
Since 'death' is the sum total price tag that sin pays - Romans 6:23,7 - then how can praying for the dead help.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Praying for the dead was a belief in the early Church and also a fairly common practice to 1st century Jews. The Apostle's Creed says, "communion of saints", and that's a reference to the belief that the living can pray for the dead and the dead in Heaven can pray for the living. IOW, Jesus' Kingdom is just not just on Earth but is also in Heaven, thus spiritually we can be connected.

KW

Sanctification of the saved, how ?
Jesus' ransom I find is what saves - Matthew 20:28. Jesus' blood is what saves - 1 John 1:7; Ephesians 1:7
Since the dead know nothing (Ecclesiastes 9:5) how does fire save or sanctify them.
Since 'death' is the sum total price tag that sin pays - Romans 6:23,7 - then how can praying for the dead help.

You don’t even read what I post. You should. You have a lot to
learn.

1 cor 3
12If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, or straw, 13his workmanship will be evident, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will prove the quality of each man’s work. 14If what he has built survives, he will receive a reward. 15If it is burned up, he will suffer loss. He himself will be saved, but only as if through the flames.