• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus drank alcohol

Aqualung

Tasty
Michel - the topic was actually "jesus drank wine, so why do some religious groups prohibit it?" I think by talking about alcohol related crime, we are answering why we prohibit it. We have the Word of Wisdom which says it's a sin to drink. dan is trying to show why Jesus would have given us that command even though he drank in the Biblical times. He's doing that by showing A) what "wine" was back then and B) showing what motivation Christ would have had to prohibit it now. By answering those two questions, we answer "why do some religious groups prohibit it?"

Though I agree this isn't a discussion about rape or smoking...

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Aqualung said:
Michel - the topic was actually "jesus drank wine, so why do some religious groups prohibit it?" I think by talking about alcohol related crime, we are answering why we prohibit it. We have the Word of Wisdom which says it's a sin to drink. dan is trying to show why Jesus would have given us that command even though he drank in the Biblical times. He's doing that by showing A) what "wine" was back then and B) showing what motivation Christ would have had to prohibit it now. By answering those two questions, we answer "why do some religious groups prohibit it?"

Though I agree this isn't a discussion about rape or smoking...
Good point; let's just drop the rape and smoking............

(Somehow that doesn't sound very good ) - but I guess you know what I mean.:p

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
dan said:
The crusade against it because it is responsible for more deaths than all the wars in recorded history combined.
Can you provide a source for that? I've never heard that statistic before.
It's people who condone its use that leave abusers free to abuse.
Nobody in their right mind condones abuse of a substance. That's like saying you shouldn't condone eating because some people get morbidly obese.
If it's allowed at all there are always going to be people who use it incorrectly and end up killing other people.
And that is a byproduct of their own stupidity. There's a difference between being a drinker and a responsible drinker. A responsible drinker will either do it at home or with company they trust; someone that will keep them away from things that could hurt themselves and other people and away from the car keys.

My best friend's father will, a few times a week, have a beer or three at home with his wife. He doesn't become violent, he doesn't leap up and go "Holy crap, I'm drunk! Time to go smash cars into people!", he just sits, drinks, and then when it gets late he goes to bed. Who is he hurting?
Ask any person who's mother, father, son or brother has been killed by a drunk driver if they really give a crap about what you think about alcohol. They could care less about your opinion. Alcohol killed someone they loved. I've seen this and I bet you have too.
Appeal to emotion.
Not drinking alcohol has never been responsible for anyone's death. You never see signs up for Mothers Against Sober Driving.
Yea, and you never see an Alcoholics for Drunk Driving sign, either. :rolleyes:

Your gluttony point is ridiculous. I'm not talking about sin here, I'm talking about the biggest killer our world has known.
You think that fat isn't a killer? It causes so many problems I don't even want to begin to touch on them... why do you think America has such a horrible heart disease rate?

Cigarrettes are more dangerous? Smoking while driving is not against the law.
What does that have to do with it hurting people? :areyoucra
It's never (to my knowledge) caused huge deadly car accidents or caused honorable people to commit adultery or pee on their boss' desk. To my knowledge no one has ever smoked a cigarrette and then passed out on a highway and got run over by a semi.
Yea, it doesn't kill quickly. It kills slowly, with tar covering your lungs and carcinogens causing cancer. THey don't get the mercy of a quick death. They linger, and wheeze, and have holes drilled in their esophagus so that they can breathe or talk, get put on oxygen machines... and they still smoke. It's an addiction as bad, if not worse, than drinking. Drinking without getting violent/depressed in front of a child cannot hurt them. Smoking does.
THis happened to the husband of someone I knew in Uruguay. Freakin' commies always gettin' drunk. This is another ridiculous comparison, but smoking is not condoned by the Lord, which is what this conversation is about. Everyone knows that. I don't feel it's necessary to go on that campaign.
Commies, Commies, Commies! :bonk: /obligatory Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference.

dan

Jensa said:
Can you provide a source for that? I've never heard that statistic before.
I'll have to go back to some old magazines for that source, but here's a similar statistic that has plenty of sources: More Americans have been killed in alcohol-related traffic crashes than in all wars the United States has been involved in since it was founded. This is only traffic related incidents. It has nothing to do with violent crime, alcohol poisoning or other alcohol related fatalities. That stat, by the way, was published by the NHTSA in 1998. A Google search will provide more than enough resources.
Jensa said:
Nobody in their right mind condones abuse of a substance. That's like saying you shouldn't condone eating because some people get morbidly obese.
You'll notice I never said anyone condones abuse. I said those who condone alcohol in any capacity open the door for others to abuse.

Jensa said:
And that is a byproduct of their own stupidity. There's a difference between being a drinker and a responsible drinker. A responsible drinker will either do it at home or with company they trust; someone that will keep them away from things that could hurt themselves and other people and away from the car keys.
I prefer to not have to hand responsibility for my safety over to my friends. I'm pretty sure they feel the same way. God has never sanctioned any activity that removes personal responsibility from one person and hands it to another.

Jensa said:
My best friend's father will, a few times a week, have a beer or three at home with his wife. He doesn't become violent, he doesn't leap up and go "Holy crap, I'm drunk! Time to go smash cars into people!", he just sits, drinks, and then when it gets late he goes to bed. Who is he hurting?
No one.

Jensa said:
You think that fat isn't a killer? It causes so many problems I don't even want to begin to touch on them... why do you think America has such a horrible heart disease rate?
Alcohol is a much bigger killer. Fat is inevitable. It can be the result of genetics, disease or poor self-control, but one thing remains the same - we have to eat. We do not have to drink.

Jensa said:
Yea, it doesn't kill quickly. It kills slowly, with tar covering your lungs and carcinogens causing cancer. THey don't get the mercy of a quick death. They linger, and wheeze, and have holes drilled in their esophagus so that they can breathe or talk, get put on oxygen machines... and they still smoke. It's an addiction as bad, if not worse, than drinking. Drinking without getting violent/depressed in front of a child cannot hurt them. Smoking does.
If you have to add a qualifier to the statement then it's crap. How about this statement - You cannot condone drinking without allowing millions to get violent and depressed, causing problems. How many kids' lives are ruined because their dads were drunks? What if I told them that I did everything I could to keep their dad from being able to purchase alcohol, but Jensa wanted to be able to have a beer, so he fought tooth and nail to make it ok for your dad to buy all the alcohol he wanted. Do you think that kid respects your argument? You'll dismiss it by saying it's an appeal to emotion, but the fact remains, everyone who fights for alcohol is responsible for the people who rape, kill and die because alcohol is freely available. You gonna go out and try to stop them? No, you could care less, as long as you get to have a cold beer on a hot summer's day. The millions of lives are worth it to you.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
dan said:
I'll have to go back to some old magazines for that source, but here's a similar statistic that has plenty of sources: More Americans have been killed in alcohol-related traffic crashes than in all wars the United States has been involved in since it was founded. This is only traffic related incidents. It has nothing to do with violent crime, alcohol poisoning or other alcohol related fatalities. That stat, by the way, was published by the NHTSA in 1998. A Google search will provide more than enough resources.
That's not my job... you're making the claim, you should provide the resources. I didn't ask you to provide sources when I claimed red grapes don't do what we thought they did.
You'll notice I never said anyone condones abuse. I said those who condone alcohol in any capacity open the door for others to abuse.
Same with everything else with the potential to abuse, then?
I prefer to not have to hand responsibility for my safety over to my friends. I'm pretty sure they feel the same way. God has never sanctioned any activity that removes personal responsibility from one person and hands it to another.
Making sure there's someone there to say 'No, you shouldn't be driving now' is part of responsibility. It doesn't take responsibility away from you, it just happens at a different point in time.
Then how is he doing something wrong?
If you have to add a qualifier to the statement then it's crap.
Untrue. Saying that sitting in front of the TV after having a few and going completely guano insane after having a few are the same thing is what's crap.
How about this statement - You cannot condone drinking without allowing millions to get violent and depressed, causing problems.
I can't control what other people do and have no reason to yank alcohol out of the responsible drinkers' hands just because some people have self-control problems. Anyone who knows basic things about alcohol knows it is a depressant... if you have emotional issues you shouldn't be taking something that will impair your ability to think to begin with.
How many kids' lives are ruined because their dads were drunks? What if I told them that I did everything I could to keep their dad from being able to purchase alcohol, but Jensa wanted to be able to have a beer, so he fought tooth and nail to make it ok for your dad to buy all the alcohol he wanted. Do you think that kid respects your argument? You'll dismiss it by saying it's an appeal to emotion. . .
Only because it is. When you can toss out something other than "but think of the children/dead people/irresponsible drinkers!", please reply to this. 'Til then, happy debating.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I am neither for nor against alcohol; I personally have had to stop drinking it, because I cannot control the quantity I have - I am a binge drinker; I have a problem, and one way to deal with it is to stop drinking it altogether.

So I have no axe to grind; the trouble is, to be fair, is that in England, alcohol is a problem;
http://politics.guardian.co.uk/homeaffairs/story/0,11026,1205711,00.html

Drinking fuels big rise in violent crime

[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Alan Travis, home affairs editor
Thursday April 29, 2004
[/font]
[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Butthat doesn't mean it is in America.;)[/font]

[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]

[/font]

A

angellous_evangellous

666 bottles of beer on the wall, 666 bottles of beer
Take one down, pass it around,
665 bottles of beer on the wall!

may

Aqualung said:

What's so good about it? The taste? I personally would rather drink apple juice. I love apple juice. :D Plus, wine makes me pee like 2 seconds later. That's not enjoyable to have to keep rushing to the bathroom.

l
[/font]
So they prupose is to make us greedy and lustful after wine? In other words, the purpose of drinking wine is to develop an addciton?
i like apple juice too, and wine ,its nice. :) the bible does not say that the purposeof wine is to develop an addiction that is your words .

dan

Jensa said:
Only because it is. When you can toss out something other than "but think of the children/dead people/irresponsible drinkers!", please reply to this. 'Til then, happy debating.
So your beer is worth all the people who have to suffer and die? That's what it comes down to. Prohibition caused a dramatic decrease in these things. Drinking still happened, and in a large quantity, but it was still less than before. If prohibition remained constant there would be millions of people alive today that are not. You would have been one of the guys arguing against it because you feel your right to a couple of beers is more important than those lives that were lost. This is not emotion, this is cold hard fact. They're dead and I'm not bringing in their wives to talk about them, I'm saying that law would have saved millions of lives, but because you prefer to decrease the risks of cancer via wine rather than tea or grapes, those lives are worth it.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Oh my gosh! 229 posts on such a relatively insignificant topic, and one that has no prospects of being proven either way. How much longer is this going to go on? :jiggy:

dan

Katzpur said:
Oh my gosh! 229 posts on such a relatively insignificant topic, and one that has no prospects of being proven either way. How much longer is this going to go on? :jiggy:
Hang on. I've got him writhing in the crushing grips of defeat (Watterson).

may

Katzpur said:
ok i am out of here now , to enjoy a glass of wine :)

Merlin

Katzpur said:
let us be fair, as a group you were always on a loser.

Trying to persuade us that biblical references to 'wine was actually grape juice, and that lots of people would drink grape juice 2000 years ago was a tall order. But you have all done your best. Somebody even produced a recipe for grape juice, without realising that it actually proved the case against them. It proved how difficult and expensive it was to produce small quantities of grape juice, and that people didn't call the result 'wine' (or even 'new wine'). They called it grape juice. Is there any reference to people drinking 'grape juice' in the Scriptures? I do not think so, but there are lots of references to people being under the influence of alcohol.

Eventually, it all degenerated into a debate on the evils of drink in a modern world. I don't think that was ever in doubt. Alcohol can be very destructive. But then so can pollution, driving too fast, overdosing on vitamins, and a myriad of other excesses. But we do not ban the use of cars, we just educate people to use them sensibly.

I agree this was a minor question. Eventually though, it became a battleground to see if any one religious group could prove that their own dietary restrictions had some authority from historic Scriptures rather than only the modern Scriptures.

In my opinion, that case was not proven.

dan

Merlin said:
In my opinion, that case was not proven.
So you just flippantly dismiss my linguistic evidence without even a consideration? I have yet to see any proof or even an assertion that what I have written is less than 100% true. Is this how you win arguments? You ignore the scholarly research and attack someone preaching grape juice recipes? This is something a middle school debate team does. Surely you have more tact than that.

A

angellous_evangellous

angellous_evangellous said:
666 bottles of beer on the wall, 666 bottles of beer
Take one down, pass it around,
665 bottles of beer on the wall!
665 bottles of beer on the wall, 665 bottles of beer
Take one down, pass it around
664 bottles of beer on the wall!

A

angellous_evangellous

BTW, check out my frubal count soon! How appropo! 6660 just after the beer posting!

A

angellous_evangellous

A favorite quote from a friend:

"I'm soberly tober Mr. Olise Pofficerr."