• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus Contradictions

Muffled

Jesus in me
The difference is we acknowledge them and don't try to make up excuses like they are not there . ;O)

I looked up the word "koan" today and found that it meant unsolvable puzzles to get Buddhists to be illuminated. I can't imagine how that works. Does the mind just shut down like a computer saying that does not compute?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe it is saying that God is something that He is not. Saying that He is inconsistent is blasphemy.
Maybe. Person A and Person B neither of whom can comprehend God and are not perfectly like God may disagree about what God is, but as long as they are aware of their own imperfection they haven't called God inconsistent. Also there is that passage referred to which called unfaithfulness blasphemy in a particular case.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Don't really see why fundies and (some) atheists get so excited by contradictions seeing as the people who wrote the Bible obviously didn't find them in any way problematic. If they had done, they wouldn't be there for people to get excited about.

Many different groups of people through over a thousand year wrote things that were not meant to be together as canon. The men who put it together excluded and included things according to their liking. Constantine wanted the thing resolved once and for all, so it's not like they had enough time to sort through every single scrap looking for continuity.

Constantine and the New Testament - To Choose or Not To Choose?

Many different groups of people through over a thousand year wrote things that were not meant to be together as canon. The men who put it together excluded and included things according to their liking. Constantine wanted the thing resolved once and for all, so it's not like they had enough time to sort through every single scrap looking for continuity.

Constantine wanted the thing resolved once and for all, so it's not like they had enough time to sort through every single scrap looking for continuity.

Constantine didn't decide upon the NT canon, that's a myth.

Many different groups of people through over a thousand year wrote things that were not meant to be together as canon. The men who put it together excluded and included things according to their liking.

The canon evolved over centuries so people had plenty of time to decide if they were bothered by the contradictions or not. Apparently they weren't.

Things that might seem important to the modern mind often weren't important in the ancient world or that of late antiquity.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Constantine didn't decide upon the NT canon, that's a myth.

Really? How can I find what really happened?

The canon evolved over centuries so people had plenty of time to decide if they were bothered by the contradictions or not. Apparently they weren't.

Things that might seem important to the modern mind often weren't important in the ancient world or that of late antiquity.

The content did but not the books themselves...I don't think.

sooda

Veteran Member
I believe neither is true.

Paul died before the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD.

What did Jesus mean by "this generation will certainly not ...
What did Jesus mean by "this generation will certainly not pass away.." in Matthew 24:34?jesus-mean-by-this...
Matt 24:24- Amen I say to you, this generation shall NOT pass away until these things have been done. Generation is understood to be 40 years in Jewish tradition. Jesus was in 3rd year of his ministry putting this at about 30AD- 40 years will put this at 70AD when Nero was persecuting Christians and the Romans destroy the temple in Jerusalem.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I looked up the word "koan" today and found that it meant unsolvable puzzles to get Buddhists to be illuminated. I can't imagine how that works. Does the mind just shut down like a computer saying that does not compute?

I think it is so the mind does not concern itself with preconceived notions and concepts. It throws the mind off, so the person will look at the essence of things instead of opinions or labels. That is what I have gotten in my readings.