• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus/Christ

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Just a small question simply because I don't know. :)
Wich one do you use and why?
Is any of those names more common in any part of religion? Or is any more respectfull or...?

may

The Hebrew form of the name Jesus means "Jehovah Is Salvation"; Christ is the equivalent of the Hebrew Ma·shi´ach (Messiah), meaning "Anointed One.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Bouncing Ball said:
Is any of those names more common in any part of religion? Or is any more respectfull or...?

I use Christ pretty much exclusively, as do the vast majority of the Orthodox Christians I know. Christ is not a name but a title which denotes that He is the Messiah and as such it seems both more respectful and more specific - there have been many people called Jesus or Joshuah in history but only one is the Christ. About the only time I ever see Orthodox use the personal name Jesus is in conjunction with the title Christ as either Christ Jesus or Jesus Christ.

James

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
This is a little naive, but I always think of Jesus when I think of the fully human man, walking on earth, talking to peoplie, eating dinner, healing the sick -- doing human stuff. I think of Christ when I think of God the Son, the King of heaven, the eternal Savior.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I think of him as Christ. The only time I would use Jesus would be as well as Christ.

joeboonda

Either, He knows I am talking about or to Him. I mostly just call Him Jesus, or Lord, or God, I pray through Him and to Him and I know He loves me no matter what, and He hears me no matter what name I use, He is pretty cool that way.

lunamoth

Will to love
I usually think of of Him as Christ or Jesus Christ, although I sometimes find myself using Jesus when I am talking only about His teachings or like Soujourner, when he is living, talking, etc.. I have come to like Marcus Borg's distinction of the "pre-crucifixion" Christ and the "post-crucifixion/risen" Christ, but I think this also is too reductionist. I find it most handy when comparing the gospels to the epistles of Paul.

peace,
lunamoth

Doktormartini

小虎
I usually say Jesus if His name happens to come up when I'm talking. If I'm talking about something really serious then I tend to use the full Jesus Christ.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Bouncing Ball said:

When I'm really upset I'll use both.