• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jehovah's witnesses

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
I got a letter and was invited to two events by Jehovah's witnesses. Im not a christian im a pagan.

First event is some kind of talk but the second is a memorial of jesus's death. It's on a Tuesday. the second event. Apparently it is something done once a year by JWs that Is commemorate the death of Jesus. Is this like an Easter thing or what exactly is it? Also how do I be polite in case they contact me again? I cant go to either event I'd hate to be rude and not take their invite but I live in a group home and both events conflict with group home schedule. Should i write back and tell them i decline their invite? Would that be rude? In case they contact me again...Is it ok to talk to them knowing you not likely to convert but listen cuz you want to learn more about their beliefs and to keep an open mind with what they say? I know they do stuff like this to bring converts and such I just aint never really spoke with JWs about their beliefs and I dont know are they likely to contact me again?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I got a letter and was invited to two events by Jehovah's witnesses. Im not a christian im a pagan.

First event is some kind of talk but the second is a memorial of jesus's death. It's on a Tuesday. the second event. Apparently it is something done once a year by JWs that Is commemorate the death of Jesus. Is this like an Easter thing or what exactly is it? Also how do I be polite in case they contact me again? I cant go to either event I'd hate to be rude and not take their invite but I live in a group home and both events conflict with group home schedule. Should i write back and tell them i decline their invite? Would that be rude? In case they contact me again...Is it ok to talk to them knowing you not likely to convert but listen cuz you want to learn more about their beliefs and to keep an open mind with what they say? I know they do stuff like this to bring converts and such I just aint never really spoke with JWs about their beliefs and I dont know are they likely to contact me again?
Why feel bad about it if it was unsolicited? JWs are very assertive with their proselytizing.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I just got a letter in the mail from JWs. I ripped it up and threw it away. Go to the religion you want to be associated with, don't let them come to you unsolicited.

Hamilton

Since everyone was told to cease human interaction because of covid/flu/whatever, JWs developed new missionary programs. They are now encouraged to write letters to prospective converts.

The Memorial relates to the Last Supper. Each person takes the items - bread and wine on a platter, I think one after the other, looks at it reverently (I saw several people instantly pass it on), pass to the next person. Much earlier in JW history, only members of the 144,000 actually drank and ate the memorial bread and wine. Since that number has allegedly been filled, no one else has been doing it.

Not rude to day "no". They invite everyone, even strangers, so there are many no-shows. It's automatic to invite, regardless of their personal feelings. I think they still report the number of invitations they extend. They used to report the number of magazines they handed out; maybe they still do, but the focus seems to be to get people to read them online.

They now write letters. One fellow has written me a few times to tell me about meetings and the website. If and when he asks a question or wants to discuss the Bible with me, I'll be happy to engage. However, the last couple of times I exchanged letters with Jehovah's Witnesses, they had difficulty with my observations and questions, and (sadly) stopped writing.

Their website is a great tool for learning languages as their periodicals are published in dozens of languages.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Since everyone was told to cease human interaction because of covid/flu/whatever, JWs developed new missionary programs. They are now encouraged to write letters to prospective converts.

The Memorial relates to the Last Supper. Each person takes the items - bread and wine on a platter, I think one after the other, looks at it reverently (I saw several people instantly pass it on), pass to the next person. Much earlier in JW history, only members of the 144,000 actually drank and ate the memorial bread and wine. Since that number has allegedly been filled, no one else has been doing it.

Not rude to day "no". They invite everyone, even strangers, so there are many no-shows. It's automatic to invite, regardless of their personal feelings. I think they still report the number of invitations they extend. They used to report the number of magazines they handed out; maybe they still do, but the focus seems to be to get people to read them online.

They now write letters. One fellow has written me a few times to tell me about meetings and the website. If and when he asks a question or wants to discuss the Bible with me, I'll be happy to engage. However, the last couple of times I exchanged letters with Jehovah's Witnesses, they had difficulty with my observations and questions, and (sadly) stopped writing.

Their website is a great tool for learning languages as their periodicals are published in dozens of languages.
Haha yes I find JWs fun to dispute with on the doorstep, as their ideas are so ridiculous: creationism, suspicion of education, the limits on the number to be "saved", etc. And when I've had enough, I tell them I'm Catholic - and they're off, at top speed! :cool:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Just forget about it, if you respond they won't let go.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Hey VC.
I see you are not familiar with JWs. :)
I can help.

First event is some kind of talk but the second is a memorial of jesus's death. It's on a Tuesday. the second event. Apparently it is something done once a year by JWs that Is commemorate the death of Jesus. Is this like an Easter thing or what exactly is it?
This will be long, so I will PM you that info.

Also how do I be polite in case they contact me again?
Just be yourself. JWs are people. :)

I cant go to either event I'd hate to be rude and not take their invite but I live in a group home and both events conflict with group home schedule.
I'm sorry you did not explain this earlier.
If you had contacted them, you would have been able to attend from wherever you were... via video conference.
Maybe another time... if you desire. :)

Should i write back and tell them i decline their invite?
Billions of people get invited each year, and never attend.
It's not necessary to explain that you did not, or why.

It's good that you are considerate of others feelings though.
That's very much appreciated, because if someone comes to the door, when we call, and politely explain that they are not interested, we appreciate that.

Would that be rude?
It would not be. You could try it though, if you want to see for yourself.
In fact, if you feel inclined to, you should.

In case they contact me again...Is it ok to talk to them knowing you not likely to convert but listen cuz you want to learn more about their beliefs and to keep an open mind with what they say?
Very much so.
In fact we welcome talking to you, knowing that you don't feel you are obligated to do so, or to become one of JWs.

You are free to have a study of the Bible if you wish, and even get to know more about JWs... without feeling you need to accept anything we say.
I'll PM you the information that informs the public of this.

I know they do stuff like this to bring converts and such
That thought did not cross my mind... that people would feel that way, so I am glad you mentioned it.
No, the invitations are never made to convert people.
'The invitations are made
  1. to the annual Memorial of Christ death, so that people can express their gratitude for what Christ has done, by obeying his command to commemorate his death.
  2. to the special talk, so that people can listen to a comforting and enlightening public discourse
  3. to the weekly meeting, so that people can learn what the Bible teaches... through a public discourse, and other presentations.
  4. to annual conventions and assemblies, for the same reason - Bible education.

The aim of JWs is to educate people.
People can then decide what they will do with that knowledge.

Each year, thousand show they value the information, by returning to learn more, or requesting a free home Bible course.
In fact, while there are about 8.5 million JWs, 19.8 million attended the memorial of Christ death, since 2019.

No one is obligated to convert, even after having a free home Bible study.
It's an educational work, so one is even free to take literature and read, while never becoming one of JWs.

I just aint never really spoke with JWs about their beliefs and I dont know are they likely to contact me again?
Bet on it. ;)
The JWs will continue to contact people wherever they are... every week, every month, every year, until the work is done. This is in line with Matthew 24:14, and Matthew 28:18-20.
They are obeying Christ command as followers / disciples of Christ.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Letter writing, email messaging, and telephone witnessing, has been done by JWs, since the 1800.
It's not new. More just got involved as the years rolled on. :)
Public cart witnessing and Metropolitan witnessing is new.

Thanks, but that is not entirely accurate.

Only those who believe they are a part of the anointed - the 144,000, take part in the emblems, because they are part of the covenant made between the bridegroom - Jesus Christ, and the bride - the 144,000.
Everyone else at the event are observers, who are there to show their appreciation for what Christ has done.

Our magazines are still in print, and millions read them.
You might have seen these... Books and magazine are distributed by the millions.

Yes, we still report placements. This is how we know how much literature was placed, as well as how many publishers share, and how many hours were spent... and how many carts are used.
More Than 165,000 Literature Carts
Jehovah’s Witnesses, well-known for their house-to-house preaching, are now found standing beside attractive literature display carts in public places.

Recently, this form of preaching has been given more emphasis. In November 2011, a group of Witnesses in New York City began to acquaint people with the Bible’s message by means of literature display tables and carts. This endeavor was so successful that it quickly spread to other cities.

Without these reports, we could not give an accurate report, which is encouraging to us.

Fast Facts—Worldwide

• 239—Lands where Jehovah’s Witnesses worship
  • 8,699,048—Jehovah’s Witnesses
  • 5,666,996—Free home Bible courses conducted
  • 19,721,672—Attendance at the annual Memorial of Christ’s death
  • 117,960—Congregations
This demonstrates how organized and united JWs are, despite living in divided nations globally.
The focus is more on Bible Study.

I've been writing letters since the 1990s, and others longer than I have.
Would you like someone to write, or contact you again? That can be easily arranged.

t2009.gif

AS OF August 31, 2015, the New World Translation had been translated in whole or in part into 129 languages. The Bible is also available on jw.org in 129 languages, including seven sign languages.

I'm not sure how many languages our publications are available in. I'll have to search.
You are among millions, who consider jw.org a "great tool".

It is the World’s Most Translated Website.
Accessible in about 500 languages, with publications available for download in almost 700 languages, jw.org is the world’s most translated website.
Over one million unique visitors go to jw.org each day.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Tell them they should leave you ****ing alone with their bull**** - if you don't want to be rude. Then they know. But not answering would be rude.
(Yep, judging what is rude is a cultural thing.)

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Tell them they should leave you ****ing alone with their bull**** - if you don't want to be rude. Then they know. But not answering would be rude.
(Yep, judging what is rude is a cultural thing.)
hmm, I used to tell them to get lost when they came to my door. Or when I saw them out on the street holding their publications. I told them that nobody wants them around. But circumstances changed and I finally listened to them. So I decided to take a "Bible study" with them. I have never been sorry. And here I am, now a Jehovah's Witness. I have never been sorry. My life has improved dramatically. My family noticed it, too, even though they do not share my religious viewpoint.

Heyo

Veteran Member
hmm, I used to tell them to get lost when they came to my door. Or when I saw them out on the street holding their publications. I told them that nobody wants them around. But circumstances changed and I finally listened to them. So I decided to take a "Bible study" with them. I have never been sorry. And here I am, now a Jehovah's Witness. I have never been sorry. My life has improved dramatically. My family noticed it, too, even though they do not share my religious viewpoint.
Do you write letters? Would you rather read "**** off" or never get a reply at all?

YoursTrue

Do you write letters? Would you rather read "**** off" or never get a reply at all?
I believe what the Bible says. I try hard not to use curse words. If I met someone like you in person who speaks as you do, I most likely would just walk away without saying much. I am happy in the spiritual state I am in, much happier than before. That's me. If someone like you didn't answer me, it's kind of like for the most part the 'ignore' button here. I do like to get people's ideas about what they believe or don't believe, but sometimes people don't really like to expose their viewpoints but may try to circumvent them. I also try to be tactful, so that means that if I contact you or someone more than once and don't hear from them, I will likely not try to contact that person again. :)

YoursTrue

@Heyo Oh, and in addition, if I wrote you and you answered me with the curse words you use above, I would likely not respond by writing you again :)

Hamilton

AS OF August 31, 2015, the New World Translation had been translated in whole or in part into 129 languages. The Bible is also available on jw.org in 129 languages, including seven sign languages.
Thanks for the corrections, clarifications, and additional information, nPeace.

I rarely read the pamphlets nowadays, but I do still use jworg (as well as biblehub and a couple of others) to read New Testament books for studying languages.

Hamilton

I talk to any missionary of any religion, who comes to my door, including Jehovah's Witnesses. "Reasoning from the Scriptures" contains persuasive arguments. It's not easy to believe claims by some that they easily refute all JW teachings.

For a few years I visited several different denominations every week. It really is possible to learn from others, including Jehovah's Witnesses. But only if you are open-minded and don't already know everything.

YoursTrue

I talk to any missionary of any religion, who comes to my door, including Jehovah's Witnesses. "Reasoning from the Scriptures" contains persuasive arguments. It's not easy to believe claims by some that they easily refute all JW teachings.

For a few years I visited several different denominations every week. It really is possible to learn from others, including Jehovah's Witnesses. But only if you are open-minded and don't already know everything.
I pray. I also thank God who allowed me to better understand the Bible and who He is. Before I got acquainted with Jehovah's Witnesses, I was an atheist and thought religion was a bag of bones, to put it mildly. I investigated many different religions and found no satisfaction in any of them. Also, as a professional musician, I sang in churches and liked the music. Got paid for it. But I didn't understand who God was and what it meant for me and mankind. It was just beautiful music often with beautiful sentiments.
I am in awe about the information presented by the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society related to understanding the Bible. Thanks for your pleasant words.

Heyo

Veteran Member
@VoidCat:

I also try to be tactful, so that means that if I contact you or someone more than once and don't hear from them, I will likely not try to contact that person again.
@Heyo Oh, and in addition, if I wrote you and you answered me with the curse words you use above, I would likely not respond by writing you again :)
There you have it. If you don't answer they will eventually leave you alone. If you do answer, they will leave you alone immediately.