• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jefferson Davis out, Barack Obama in at Mississippi elementary school

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Jefferson Davis out, Barack Obama in at Mississippi elementary school - CNN
This is the best possible way to put those trying to protect Jim Crowe era statutes and public names in their place. The Confederacy was based on racial superiority and slavery. Here is an excerpt from the Cornerstone Address made by the Vice President of the Confederacy just before the Civil War.
"Our new government is founded upon exactly [this] idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery -- subordination to the superior race -- is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.[1]"
It's pretty bad when your VP clearly says that your "new nation" of traitors is based on racism and slavery.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The school was named for Jefferson Davis decades ago,
That fact alone gives no ground for these statues and names to stand. These "honorifics" were indeed made during a time of racial tension long after the Civil War, and as a gesture of racial superiority and intimidation.
So many Conservatives would do well to learn that, instead of going on about "states rights" (that the Southern states didn't acknowledge when they conflicted), and about their "heritage," and going on about "us poor whities" and just accept that yes, the civil war was mostly and primarily fought over the issue of slavery, and the Confederacy they so love was, themselves, declared traitors against the United States, that country who they tend worship that their "love affair" country was in open rebellion against. I'm pretty sure that Bible of theirs says something negative about "serving two masters."

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Jefferson Davis out, Barack Obama in at Mississippi elementary school - CNN
This is the best possible way to put those trying to protect Jim Crowe era statutes and public names in their place. The Confederacy was based on racial superiority and slavery. Here is an excerpt from the Cornerstone Address made by the Vice President of the Confederacy just before the Civil War.
"Our new government is founded upon exactly [this] idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery -- subordination to the superior race -- is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.[1]"
It's pretty bad when your VP clearly says that your "new nation" of traitors is based on racism and slavery.

I'm fine with it, and I'm a conservative.

They could have found somebody better than Obama I suppose but it is what it is.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Frederick Douglass would have been a more deserving choice, imho.

Obama did virtually nothing for African-Americans.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Obama did virtually nothing for African-Americans.
Is that why he gave up probably getting a six-digit income when he became a community organizer in a largely black area of Chicago? And this is just for starters.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I'm fine with it, and I'm a conservative.

They could have found somebody better than Obama I suppose but it is what it is.
Obama is pretty awesome, but I understand where you are coming from. I think it's the best possible choice to give an fu to everyone trying to honor the confederacy.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Obama is pretty awesome, but I understand where you are coming from. I think it's the best possible choice to give an fu to everyone trying to honor the confederacy.
I personally don't care if they name the school Spongebob Squarepants Academy. But I do like the fu of the Obama name a great deal.
Tom