• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeff Flake's 20 most damning lines about Donald Trump's assault on the press

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I picked out those that summarized the list of 20 to me. The lines are drawn in this battle at "Tel Meggido". Either people will stand up for honesty, integrity, justice and honor or they will stand for political power above all.

1. "For without truth, and a principled fidelity to truth and to shared facts, Mr. President, our democracy will not last."

2. "2017 was a year which saw the truth -- objective, empirical, evidence-based truth -- more battered and abused than any other in the history of our country, at the hands of the most powerful figure in our government."

4. "It is a testament to the condition of our democracy that our own president uses words infamously spoken by Josef Stalin to describe his enemies."

5. "The president has it precisely backward -- despotism is the enemy of the people. The free press is the despot's enemy, which makes the free press the guardian of democracy."

6. "When a figure in power reflexively calls any press that doesn't suit him "fake news," it is that person who should be the figure of suspicion, not the press."

8. "Here in America, we do not pay obeisance to the powerful -- in fact, we question the powerful most ardently"

10. "A major difference between politicians and the free press is that the press usually corrects itself when it gets something wrong. Politicians don't."

12. "An American president who cannot take criticism -- who must constantly deflect and distort and distract -- who must find someone else to blame -- is charting a very dangerous path."

13. "2018 must be the year in which the truth takes a stand against power that would weaken it."

20. "If we compromise the truth for the sake of our politics, we are lost."

Jeff Flake's 20 most damning lines about Donald Trump's assault on the press

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Seems Flakie....
An "assault on the press" suggests something more than the p*ssing match
he has with them. So until we see actual laws or policies which hinder freedom,
I'll see it for what it is....a bunch'o childish partisans throwing feces at each other.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Seems Flakie....
he has with them. So until we see actual laws or policies which hinder freedom,
I'll see it for what it is....a bunch'o childish partisans throwing feces at each other.
Congratulations. You misconstrued that Jeff Flake is a conservative republican. You ignored that dictators all over the world are using his words. You ignored that he's acting like a dictator, Stalin. You in fact ignored everything in the article. You also ignored history where deeds follow words.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Criminy, when he isn't Hitler he's Stalin to his frothy foes.
Where are his concentration camps, gulags, & millions killed?
There's plenty to criticize about Trump's antics, but such
histrionics just make such critics look crazed with fever.
You ignored or massively distorted what Jeff Flake actually said.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Seems Flakie....
he has with them.
Trump doesn't like the press because they report the facts on him. Exposing his idiocy. Exposing his lies. But Fox is ok to Trump....

I'm sure this is just a coincidence....right?

514702614.jpg

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Congratulations. You misconstrued that Jeff Flake is a conservative republican.
Huh?
I didn't construe any such thing.
I know he's a Pub, but that's about it...& regarding my criticism, it doesn't matter.
You ignored that dictators all over the world are using his words.
But what has Trump actually done (other than sharing some vitriol)?
You ignored that he's acting like a dictator, Stalin.
You in fact ignored everything in the article.
You also ignored history where deeds follow words.
You ignore that Hitler & Stalin oppressed killed millions.
But you say it's a foregone conclusion that where you find some
similarity in language, Trump will inexorably become like them?
This is utterly ridiculous.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You ignored or massively distorted what Jeff Flake actually said.
I read what you posted.
Did you mean to say something other than what you posted?
I skimmed the article (as much as I could before the paywall kicked me out).
"Assault on the press" is simply Chicken Little territory.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
[Q ssfsdfdf
Trump doesn't like the press because they report the facts on him. Exposing his idiocy. Exposing his lies. But Fox is ok to Trump....

I'm sure this is just a coincidence....right?

View attachment 20094
They look like Democrats...the party which supported slavery.

Forgive me...if you post a silly pic & vapid claim, & I'll mock it.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
They look like Southern Democrats--you know, the ones that wouldn't vote Republican if their life depended on it, from 1865 on...until around 1970, when the GOP adopted a "Southern Strategy," which has succeeded in turning most of the south into firmly Republican states, instead of firmly Democratic states....

pearl

12. "An American president who cannot take criticism -- who must constantly deflect and distort and distract -- who must find someone else to blame -- is charting a very dangerous path."

Most if not all politicians lie but when they are caught they at least make a weak apology and that they misspoke. But Trump lives in his own reality and is a pathological liar. Its interesting that he requested a cognitive evaluation to prove his mental fitness. His cognitive abilities were never in question, it is his psychological fitness that is questioned. Even greater threat than Trump himself is the number of followers that continue to support him.

tytlyf

Not Religious
They look like Southern Democrats--you know, the ones that wouldn't vote Republican if their life depended on it, from 1865 on...until around 1970, when the GOP adopted a "Southern Strategy," which has succeeded in turning most of the south into firmly Republican states, instead of firmly Democratic states....
Yep, that's all it is. I can't believe people still lie about this.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Yes, once upon a time in America, there were:

Conservative Democrats
Liberal Democrats
Conservative Republicans
Liberal Republicans

Today, there are pretty much just Conservative Republicans, Liberal Democrats, and people who don't like either party or their candidates...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I already stated they were conservatives. Don't change the topic.
Change it?
I love that you posted Democrats with the KKK!
But you're deflecting from the issue I raised, ie,
that Trump is not Stalin by any sane stretch.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Some seem to conveniently forget that the Republican and Democratic Parties switch their conservative/liberal positions during the 1900's.

During and after the Civil War, it was the Democrats that was the more conservative party, especially in the South ("Southern Democrats"/"Dixiecrats"), whereas the Republicans being the more liberal one, especially in the North.

During the 1960's and 1970's, largely due to LBJ's getting passed the Civil Rights Acts, the South moved fairly quickly to becoming overwhelmingly Republican.