• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Japanese Soto Zen and understanding the Dharma

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Soto zen, like has been mentioned around here before, focuses mainly on the practice of shikantaza, just sitting. The Japanese version of the school was brought to Japan by Dogen Zenji after having studied, practiced, and been enlightened, in China.

Not too much different, as far as the base points, from any other school of zen, which, bye the way, includes Rinzai and Obaku. I always forget the name "Obaku" :D and most people dont even know that it exists.

I recommend reading this to start: BZC: FUKANZAZENGI

The Fukanzazengi is Dogen's instructions on the practice of Zazen, which is the point of Soto Zen.

Ablaze

Buddham Saranam Gacchami
Soto Zen focuses on silent illumination and just sitting - meditation without any object or content - direct seeing.

When Dogen was asked what he brought back with him from China, he said he came empty-handed, remarking "eyes horizontal, nose vertical."

Dogen's style of teaching was simplified from all abstractions, a return to our basic nature. Soto Zen is part of Dogen's legacy, a here-and-now path to enlightenment.

Genjo Koan

To study the Buddha way is to study the self. To study the self is to forget the self. To forget the self is to be actualized by myriad things. When actualized by myriad things, your body and mind as well as the bodies and minds of others drop away. No trace of realization remains, and this no-trace continues endlessly.

Dogen

This is the essence of Soto Zen.

existenz

Bewildered Seeker
I'm a SZ noob, and i agree with DreadFish that the Fukanzazengi lays it out well. But when i first read Dogen (just a few months ago) i had no idea what the heck he was saying (and still don't w/o assistance!) :confused:

Then I found a weekly Skype study group originating out of the Atlanta Soto Zen Center. We just started on Fukanzazengi a couple of weeks back. Sensei is also willing to answer questions one-on-one offline. Dogen is exceptionally profound once you get your bearings. This is a great option for those of us stuck in the Bible Belt backwaters of TX and AL. If you're interested let me know and I can connect you.

Last edited:

existenz

Bewildered Seeker
Soto Zen focuses on silent illumination and just sitting - meditation without any object or content - direct seeing.

When Dogen was asked what he brought back with him from China, he said he came empty-handed, remarking "eyes horizontal, nose vertical."

Dogen's style of teaching was simplified from all abstractions, a return to our basic nature. Soto Zen is part of Dogen's legacy, a here-and-now path to enlightenment.

This is the essence of Soto Zen.

Love it. This sums up what drew me to Soto Zen.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I'm a SZ noob, and i agree with DreadFish that the Fukanzazengi lays it out well. But when i first read Dogen (just a few months ago) i had no idea what the heck he was saying (and still don't w/o assistance!) :confused:

Then I found a weekly Skype study group originating out of the Atlanta Soto Zen Center. We just started on Fukanzazengi a couple of weeks back. Sensei is also willing to answer questions one-on-one offline. Dogen is exceptionally profound once you get your bearings. This is a great option for those of us stuck in the Bible Belt backwaters of TX and AL. If you're interested let me know and I can connect you.

I've been a Zen Buddhist for three years, and I still have trouble understanding everything that Dogen is trying to say. His teachings aren't easy to understand, and are too advanced for my mind right now.

AmerikanZen

I've been a Zen Buddhist for three years, and I still have trouble understanding everything that Dogen is trying to say. His teachings aren't easy to understand, and are too advanced for my mind right now.

That's interpereter Dogen's <<works he left behind>> /since he's long been deceased./

Dogen's <(English to Japanese)> interpreter would be able to tell you that.

existenz

Bewildered Seeker
That's interpereter Dogen's <<works he left behind>> /since he's long been deceased./

Dogen's <(English to Japanese)> interpreter would be able to tell you that.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say. Are you referring to the facts that Dogen died ~750 years ago and wrote in "medieval" Japanese? And that any interpretation into English would necessarily be problematic?

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
It's also important to point out that most of Dogen's writings are a bit advanced for beginners; a bit like giving As I Lay Dying to an elementary-schooler.

Just keep in mind that it probably wont make sense until you have experienced what he's talking about.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
no doubt Dogen isn't the sort of reading you can intellectualize to understand.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I'm not sure why the Dogen character is so central to Zen Buddhism.

Its kinda weird in that sense.

Why do you say that? Dogen was central in taking Soto Zen from China to Japan. He's one of the most revered figures in Zen. However, none of his teachings can compare to one's own experience.

AmerikanZen

Why do you say that? Dogen was central in taking Soto Zen from China to Japan. He's one of the most revered figures in Zen. However, none of his teachings can compare to one's own experience.

I'm not sure. Dogen's character was and has been mentioned alot in Zen discussions.

Isn't he deceased?....Who will now run the monastery?....

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I'm not sure. Dogen's character was and has been mentioned alot in Zen discussions.

Isn't he deceased?....Who will now run the monastery?....

He died in 1235 and there are more than one zen monastery in Japan. In fact, there are multiple monasteries who practice Soto zen, there are a multiple who practice Rinzai Zen, and multiple who practice Obaku zen.

No offense, but I dont really dont understand your logic, AmerikanZen. I really don't understand where you are coming from in half of your posts.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
He died in 1235 and there are more than one zen monastery in Japan. In fact, there are multiple monasteries who practice Soto zen, there are a multiple who practice Rinzai Zen, and multiple who practice Obaku zen.

No offense, but I dont really dont understand your logic, AmerikanZen. I really don't understand where you are coming from in half of your posts.

I have to agree. Me, DreadFish, and others have attempted to point the way of Zen, but you seem to not be able to grasp what we're telling you. You have preconceived ideas about what Zen is, and you will not let your ideas go when presented with something different. It's been explained that you cannot take a western mindset and try to understand an eastern religion, especially Zen, as it breaks free from conventional thinking, western ideas, logic, and other things that represent the way most people see the world. Maybe a Zen story is in order here to clarify my point:

Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen.

Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on pouring.

The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!"

"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"

AmerikanZen

Based [hebraic word] on regular reference to -What the Buddha taught- it is that Dharma was the manifest teachings/instructions ...

I have a notion that Dharma is the universal spiritual law.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Based [hebraic word] on regular reference to -What the Buddha taught- it is that Dharma was the manifest teachings/instructions ...

I have a notion that Dharma is the universal spiritual law.

From a Buddhist context, dharma can be understood in two ways: one being the teachings of the Buddha, and two being physical and mental phenomena, but my feeling is that you were referring to the first way. Dharma is not an easy term to understand, and is understood in different ways by different traditions.