• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Janmashtami

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Jai Janmashtami! :flower2:

krishna.jpg

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I wish that I was able to celebrate in a big temple with the big festival. Have a fabulous spiritual day everyone.

Wohoo! We get a bouncy castle and a little ferris wheel at the ISKCON Vancouver temple here... the only thing is that they are for the little children... :thud:

Anyways, happy Janmashtami, everyone! May God bless you all, and may you all be in tune with the Divine within!

[youtube]v84SOB-2QBs[/youtube]
YouTube - Radha Rasabihari

Andal

resident hypnotist
HAPPY JANMASHTAMI!!!! :D

I am getting dressed in my favorite saree after class this evening and heading to the Philadelphia Iskcon temple! Can't wait!!!

TTCUSM

Guys,

The following verses are from Part 3, Chapter 17 of the Chandogya Upanishad:

6. Ghora, of the line of Angirasa, communicated this teaching to Krishna, the son of Devaki—and it quenched Krishna’s thirst for any other knowledge—and said: "When a man approaches death he should take refuge in these three thoughts: ‘Thou art indestructible (akshata),’ ‘Thou art unchanging (aprachyuta),’ and ‘Thou art the subtle prana.’ "On this subject there are two Rik—verses:

7. "They (i.e. the knowers of Brahman) see everywhere the Supreme Light, which shines in Brahman, which is all— pervading like the light of day and which belongs to the primeval Seed. ‘Perceiving the higher light in the sun—which is above the darkness of ignorance—as the higher light in the heart, perceiving the Supreme Light which is higher than all lights, we have reached the Highest Light, the Sun, the most luminous among the gods, yea, we have reached the Highest Light, the Sun, the most luminous among the gods."

Last edited:

zenzero

Its only a Label
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
to dear Krishna!

Does eternal presence/absence have births??
Its all a part of the MIND play!

Whatever it be, Celebration is a certainty and existence itself celebrates with life to which this part of existence too is included.

Love & rgds

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
to dear Krishna!

Does eternal presence/absence have births??
Its all a part of the MIND play!

Whatever it be, Celebration is a certainty and existence itself celebrates with life to which this part of existence too is included.

Love & rgds

We celebrate the day of appearance on Earth, of course, because the Lord is eternal. And because Krishna is the greatest enjoyer, I am sure he loves a birthday party in his honour :D

Man, Krishna's Appearance Day cake was awesome! :D And there's a reason why we generally do not call it a birthday and instead an Appearance Day, lol.

And TTCUSM, that is a nice passage from the Sri Chandogya Upanishad!

Here's a short but beautiful verse from the Vaishnava Scripture, Sri Brahma-samhita, translated from the Sanskrit into English by His Divine Grace Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakur.

premāñjana-cchurita-bhakti-vilochanena
santah sadaiva hrdayeshu vilokayanti
yam śyāmasundaram achintya-guna-svarūpam
govindam ādi-purusham tam aham bhajāmi

"I worship Govinda, the primeval Lord, who is Śyāmasundara, Krishna Himself with inconceivable innumerable attributes, whom the pure devotees see in their heart of hearts with the eye of devotion tinged with the salve of love."

-- Sri Brahma-samhita 5.38

Last edited by a moderator:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Madanbhakta,

Even the word *appearance* is incorrect for that entity which is eternal.
One should be conscious of every word, its meanings and repercussions as we already find that misuse of words have led people to be blind followers of every religion.

Love & rgds

kaisersose

Friend Madanbhakta,

Even the word *appearance* is incorrect for that entity which is eternal.
One should be conscious of every word, its meanings and repercussions as we already find that misuse of words have led people to be blind followers of every religion.

Love & rgds

Janma -> Birth.

It is the birth of the avatar Krishna on planet earth. Even if Vishnu has no birth, the avatar is a specific instance and has a point of birth. He was born, grew up from an infant to an adult and died eventually. All these actions are within the frame of time and hence it is not incorrect.

So one can believe in the eternal Vishnu and the avatar Krishna at the same time and therefore, celebrating Janmashtami is not a problem.