• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's now a thing: lying flatism!

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
According to this article, there's a new movement about amongst the younger generation...It's called "Lying Flatism."

It seems to be something along the lines of intentionally failing to launch...

Your thoughts?

Heyo

Veteran Member
According to this article, there's a new movement about amongst the younger generation...It's called "Lying Flatism."

Your thoughts?
Is that the same as horizontalism? I've seen people advocate that on RF.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Wikipedia says: "Horizontalism is an approach to money creation theory pioneered by Basil Moore which states that private bank reserves are not managed by central banks. Instead reserves will be provided on demand at the bank rate set by the central bank."

So, I'd say no...

Unless there's another meaning for it...

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Your thoughts?

Seems Xi is none too happy about it.

Nanfang Daily, the mouthpiece of Guangdong’s CCP leadership, ran a page-four commentary expressing disgust over the notion of “lying flat,” concerned that talk of resignation might become a self-fulfilled prophecy. “At any time, no matter what stage of development, struggle is always the brightest base color of youth,” it said. “In the face of pressure, choosing to ‘lie flat’ is not only unjust, but shameful. There is no value whatsoever in this poisonous chicken soup.” In a video that made the rounds online the same day, a commentator at the official Hubei Economic Television said in an admonishing tone: “To accept misfortune is fine, but ‘lying flat’ is not.” This condescension was widely ridiculed across Chinese social media.

As state media made their position clear, the original April post on “lying flat” suddenly disappeared. The search function for “lying flat” on WeChat, where the word had still been trending, was disabled. On the Douban social networking service, a “lying flat” discussion group was also shut down. And on Taobao, the popular online shopping platform run by tech giant Alibaba, t-shirts related to “lying down” were pulled from online stores.
The ‘lying flat’ movement standing in the way of China’s innovation drive

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

Nanfang Daily, the mouthpiece of Guangdong’s CCP leadership, ran a page-four commentary expressing disgust over the notion of “lying flat,” concerned that talk of resignation might become a self-fulfilled prophecy. “At any time, no matter what stage of development, struggle is always the brightest base color of youth,” it said. “In the face of pressure, choosing to ‘lie flat’ is not only unjust, but shameful. There is no value whatsoever in this poisonous chicken soup.” In a video that made the rounds online the same day, a commentator at the official Hubei Economic Television said in an admonishing tone: “To accept misfortune is fine, but ‘lying flat’ is not.” This condescension was widely ridiculed across Chinese social media.

As state media made their position clear, the original April post on “lying flat” suddenly disappeared. The search function for “lying flat” on WeChat, where the word had still been trending, was disabled. On the Douban social networking service, a “lying flat” discussion group was also shut down. And on Taobao, the popular online shopping platform run by tech giant Alibaba, t-shirts related to “lying down” were pulled from online stores.

Somehow, I'm not surprised...is a (Counter)Cultural Revolution brewing?

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Horizontalism is my personal religion that I joke about sometimes. It states that life is best experienced lying down.

My thoughts on "lying flatism" are that it may be a logical result of the way we are all expected to fit into society that demands that we "work hard" and raise families and so on. It doesn't take much observation to see that all this is not designed for our benefit, but for those that get rich from our efforts. Opting out is a logical conclusion.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Your thoughts?
This seems to be a trend in Asia, according to the article. What it amounts to is opting out of the rat race, something that some people have been doing in the West for generations. I suspect it is a relative novelty in many Asian countries because only now have those societies reached a stage of affluence at which many people can safely contemplate opting out in this way. Xi obviously hates it, which is rather funny, because there is bugger-all he can do about it. Lee Kuan Yew would have been just as disapproving.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The trend may be new, but the idea itself is waaaay ancient.
But nowadays the country is productive enuf
to support people who don't want to work.
The word I hear from employers I know is that
they can't find lower skill workers who are sober
& willing to work.
A machine shop owner I know said his 1 sober
employee was recently hooked on meth by
another employee. He's had it....his business
has gone up for sale.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I see military conscription on the horizon for the loafers.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
But nowadays the country is productive enuf
to support people who don't want to work.
The word I hear from employers I know is that
they can't find lower skill workers who are sober
& willing to work.
A machine shop owner I know said his 1 sober
employee was recently hooked on meth by
another employee. He's had it....his business
has gone up for sale.
That's a great argument for more open immigration. Let's have people here who are willing to work hard.

We Never Know

No Slack

Your thoughts?
Nothing surprises me anymore lol

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's a great argument for more open immigration. Let's have people here who are willing to work hard.
We have enuf people.
Bringing in more will eventually turn them into more of the same.
We can't "immigrate" our way out of a lazy-labor problem.
It's not a sustainable model.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
This seems to be a trend in Asia, according to the article. What it amounts to is opting out of the rat race, something that some people have been doing in the West for generations. I suspect it is a relative novelty in many Asian countries because only now have those societies reached a stage of affluence at which many people can safely contemplate opting out in this way. Xi obviously hates it, which is rather funny, because there is bugger-all he can do about it. Lee Kuan Yew would have been just as disapproving.

I assume that the history of Buddhism and other dharmic religions in Asia could also be an influence on something like this via its influence on Asian cultures. Monastic and ascetic traditions are many centuries old, after all, and some of the ideas in the article (such as voluntarily staying single and living a minimalistic lifestyle) seem to echo a monastic or ascetic mindset in some ways.