• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Its getting worse!!!

ReligionNomore665

What is Religion Anymore?
For everyone who already knows my story about being scared of church and thinking that I don't believe in God...well, things have gotten worse...

For the past two days, i've been nothing but extremely angry without reason. I've been very spacey and isolated. I even wanted to physically hurt two of my friends that i would never hurt in my life, and I had to get up and leave because the temptation was so strong. i don't know what to do...this isn't a curiosity anymore...it has changed to concern!

please help!!!

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Try to seek within you the answer why church scares you. "Know thyself, and thou shall know"

When you know the answer to why is scares you, then try to overcome that fear and try church again.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
Self help comments may not help this individual. Having a real phobia especially of going to church is psychologically abnormal and unrealistic. There may be underlined issues as to why he or she is afraid.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
For everyone who already knows my story about being scared of church and thinking that I don't believe in God...well, things have gotten worse...

For the past two days, i've been nothing but extremely angry without reason. I've been very spacey and isolated. I even wanted to physically hurt two of my friends that i would never hurt in my life, and I had to get up and leave because the temptation was so strong. i don't know what to do...this isn't a curiosity anymore...it has changed to concern!

please help!!!

I don't get it. How exactly you being afraid of churches has anything to do with you wanting to hurt your friends? Were you talking about churches or something?

Either way, if it got to the point where it became dangerous you should really look for medical aid.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

please help!!!

This may come across as cliche but nevertheless practical. Talk to a psychotherapist to find the root cause of your fears and anxiety and develop a course of action. If you got or are close to the point where your emotions become angry and hostile, I would think that would be an indicator that an appropriate course of action should be taken before things get worse.

dolly

I second seeing a psychologist. Irrational phobias, uncontrollable and disturbing thoughts pressuring you to do actions you don't want to do, fear of doing something you would never do, anxiety, panic attack... sounds like OCD. I'm not a therapist, though, so don't take my word on it. Find a qualified medical professional to evaluate you.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
you don't need to be violent just because you feel strongly about your believes.
when ever you get worked up like that, you should hug them and say you are sorry that you pity them.

sirat

please help!!!

Hello,

These sorts of things and feelings are not simply issues. These types of things are generally called symptoms. When people mix religion and thoughts of hurting others or hurting themselves it is time to see a therapist or psychologist.

It is no big deal. It happens to lots of people and lots of people get it figured out pretty quickly. It will be a bit tough to get a first appointment because so many other people are there with similar things. Still, you need to take that step. The key is thoughts of hurting someone. You owe it to yourself and your friends to strongly consider making an appointment and keeping it. It is not a big deal. Most places have some lower cost options if money is an issue. It might take some pushing on your part to make it happen.

Remember, a forum is not medical treatment.

It is this simple:
on fire: stop, drop and roll
in an airplane: put your own mask on first
mixing religion and thoughts of harm: go to a counselor or psychologist. asap

prayers and best wishes
sirat

Last edited:

KittensAngel

Boldly Proudly Not PC
I would agree that while I and someone else can venture to guess at an answer intended to assist your concern, I'm not an expert in the field of behavioral psychology. And it sounds like, with what you've already come to understand as an irrational fear and now that you've allowed yourself to be honest enough to recognize your own compulsion to violence and to your great credit, your ability to exercise restraint, that you should seek insight from a source that stands to help you before this matter escalates any further.

I did the research on this before proffering to offer a link for your consideration. This Doctor has a reputation for being open, honest, sincere and compassionate while having a reputation that precedes him as a qualified credible professional in the field. To his own credit I think it's great that he offers an on-line opportunity for the seeker to find help. Perhaps this will assist you. I wish you every success and peace of mind. :)

Ask Psychologist Dr. Robert Saltzman

(Sic)"....In order to deal fairly with the increasing volume of mail, I have had to change the protocol for submitting questions for "ask dr. robert." As a first step, please post your question on the Dr. Robert Forum where it may open a discussion among forum regulars--many of whom bring intelligence, experience, and wisdom to these conversations. I check in on the forum regularly, and will contribute if and when necessary. As of January 5, 2011, the Forum now includes a real-time chatroom. "

I can shed real light on your problem and then perhaps you can find a cure based upon that. The answers are scientific not "spiritual."

Most of us, especially men, have resentments. If they go back to childhood, they influence our very nature. We bury them, but we carry with us that deep hostility in our subconscious.

Add to that the growing stress in our society from our rank ideological divisions and crowding and it is possible to explain what happens when individuals go barzerk and kill others, including themselves. So, you are not alone!

An even better example is that of the suicide-bombers. Muslim men tend to carry deep in them some resentment over the way the West helped impose Israel right in what had been the heart of their civilization, a civilization that at one time ruled much of the world. Al Quada is the extremist form of this.

If you are a young male and have an academic or career interest, I predict that you will feel better as you concentrate on it to the point of excelling others. What you need is what is called "success."

LuciaStar

Constant Seeker
Therapy is the best option for you. Please don't ignore this as it is an issue that needs sorting out (and I highly doubt it's any spiritual issue). It's there so use it. If not for yourself then at least do it for the sake of others because you shouldn't be wanting to physically hurt your friends. Don't ignore it because it'll only get worst if you do. Go to therapy.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I'd be going to see a psychologist if I were you. I have worked with people with mental disturbance problems, and some of the same issues you are having, they had. One specific person who suffers from schizophrenia experiences anger, anxiety, depression and hears voices...he's a fairly serious case and im not trying to diagnose your problem here, but a visit to a psychologist should be a definite starting point for you.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
This definitely sounds like OCD to me (also not a therapist, so this is nothing more than my opinion).

I suggest that you make an appointment immediately with a psychologist, who may refer you to a psychiatrist for appropriate medications - which are very effective and very relieving.

Don't be embarrassed by this if you are diagnosed with OCD or some other sort of mental illness. It's better to be diagnosed and treated correctly than it is to suffer, worry, and fear your own actions.

Just_me_Mike

please help!!!
I recommend putting the crack pipe down and seeking help. From one nut to the other...

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!
Adding my voice to the rest - seek professional help.

Emotional or mental disorders often have a source in the endocrine system, so they're like any other thing that can go a bit off with the body. Chemicals can easily become a little out of balance, and may be felt in sudden surges of emotion. They're very common, and what you describe is very treatable. But don't ignore it when feelings of or urges toward violence are involved, because that can have very serious consequences.

Once you're more in balance, you can deal with the underlying issues regarding church and so forth. I can relate to your negative feelings, and I know in my case there were very good reasons for how I felt. There again, therapy can help a lot.

Personally, at this point I wouldn't be caught dead in a church (ha ha), but I'm not afraid of them or angry at my Christian loved ones. It is possible to live at peace with yourself; that's the priority. The rest follows. :)

elmarna

in all the things going on I do not have the full picture. Anger usually comes from frustrationd surpressed and has gone to extreme.
For example you feel like doing a good thing,but the person invoved is over critical and picky. While your mind is saying it is the right thing to do-your feelings are contradicting=thus FRUSTATION!
while we tend to think just forget about it or if I tell myself it to ignore it I can just move on.
The thinking is not enough because deep down inside it is ear marked as important.
Doing something to let the anger out only expels the fire of feeling. It is a short remedy because the catalist is still being manufactured within you.
I am glad you brought up it is a concern. If you can manage the concern with reason & look deep inside you for why the frustation came to life you may just be able to put your concern to rest!
HOPE THIS WAS HELPFUL
I will check on this thread to see how it goes for you!