• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Begun

Jackytar

Ex-member
You asked how my religion was political, I answered. I already told you we're religious secularists. We're still religious, though, and I doubt the so-called "Reason Project" would have us.

Why? What would they object to, exactly.

Jackytar

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Really. Our memebers include Christians, deists, atheists, Jews, I even know a couple of Muslims. Hell, they'll even take me.

You don't tolerate intolerance, right?
No, where the hell did that come from?

Is there anything you can tell me about your church that is not secular?
IT'S.
A.
CHURCH!

Is there a reason you're trying to put me on the defensive? Because it's getting seriously annoying.

linwood

Originally Posted by linwood
In many of his early writings he gives credence to the idea that mystical experience has and should have effect on the material world.
Could you elaborate on this? What sort of effect does/ should it have, and why do you disagree?

It`s been awhile since I read The End of faith but I`ll try.

Harris Claims mysticism or the spiritual experiences brought about by serious meditation gives one insight into the making of metaphysical claims that can be empirically evidenced and rationally justified.

This is simply untrue and can and often does lead directly to the kind of problems Harris rails against in his writings.

Harris`s problem is that he says he`s attacking religion but all the problems he names aren`t inherent to religion per say.
They are inherent to dogmatic following of unfounded doctrine.

The same kind of dogma created by those mystical experiences he is so into promoting.

An example of this is his praise of Jainism.
This religion is fine for Harris as it`s only dogma is thou shall not harm.

If this religion is acceptable then why is he attacking religion as a whole?

What he should be attacking if indeed he is a proponent of rational thought is not religion itself but unassailable doctrine and dogma.

Harris is an unwitting hypocrite who can`t see the contradictory nature of his own belief.

Last edited:

Jackytar

Ex-member
No, where the hell did that come from?

"No matter how diverse"

Is there a reason you're trying to put me on the defensive?

You engaged me. You said I made a sweeping generalization about the politics of your religion. So far all you have been able to tell me about the politics of your religion is that they are not informed by any religion. Secularism is not a religion. I can't decide whether your religion is apolitical or irreligious or both. Probably because you haven't told me about the politics of your individual beliefs. Just of the church you belong to. If they differ from secularism then say so. Otherwise I'll ignore your objection to my "sweeping generalization" and assume we play on the same team.

Because it's getting seriously annoying.

Not my intent. Sorry. I'll shut up for a while. Got things to do anyway.

Jackytar

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Ooh, cool.

There are literally thousands of such organizations devoted to every religion under the sun. Why are you so bothered by one tiny little atheist one?

So far I haven't found a single statement calling religious people stupid--what are you talking about? If religious people were just stupid, this would all be much easier. The problem isn't that religious people are stupid, it's that smart people believe weird things.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
It`s been awhile since I read The End of faith but I`ll try.

Harris Claims mysticism or the spiritual experiences brought about by serious meditation gives one insight into the making of metaphysical claims that can be empirically evidenced and rationally justified.

This is simply untrue and can and often does lead directly to the kind of problems Harris rails against in his writings.

Harris`s problem is that he says he`s attacking religion but all the problems he names aren`t inherent to religion per say.
They are inherent to dogmatic following of unfounded doctrine.

The same kind of dogma created by those mystical experiences he is so into promoting.

An example of this is his praise of Jainism.
This religion is fine for Harris as it`s only dogma is thou shall not harm.

If this religion is acceptable then why is he attacking religion as a whole?

What he should be attacking if indeed he is a proponent of rational thought is not religion itself but unassailable doctrine and dogma.

Harris is an unwitting hypocrite who can`t see the contradictory nature of his own belief.
Thanks!

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
You engaged me. You said I made a sweeping generalization about the politics of your religion.
Yeah, because you did.

So far all you have been able to tell me about the politics of your religion is that they are not informed by any religion.
Incorrect. They are informed by the 7 Principles, upon which our religion is founded.

Secularism is not a religion.
No, but UU is.

I can't decide whether your religion is apolitical or irreligious or both.
Neither.

Probably because you haven't told me about the politics of your individual beliefs.
My theology is unconcerned with politics, as theology should be.

Just of the church you belong to. If they differ from secularism then say so.
Secularism can be, and in this case is, a religious value.

Otherwise I'll ignore your objection to my "sweeping generalization" and assume we play on the same team.
Typical. Can't admit an error, so you'll just ignore being called on it.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Okay. We're done.
Of course. God forbid we actually rethink our bias.
head-in-sand.jpg

Bishadi

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

We have the old 'intent of truth' on the forum.............. with a group that supports

Originally Posted by About section
The Reason Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit foundation devoted to spreading scientific knowledge and secular values in society. Drawing on the talents of the most prominent and creative thinkers across a wide range of disciplines, The Reason Project seeks to encourage critical thinking and wise public policy through a variety of interrelated projects. The foundation will convene conferences, produce films, sponsor scientific studies and opinion polls, publish original research, award grants to other charitable organizations, and offer material support to religious dissidents and public intellectuals — all with the purpose of eroding the influence of dogmatism, superstition, and bigotry in our world.

While the foundation is devoted to fostering critical thinking generally, we believe that religious ideas require a special focus. Both science and the arts are built upon cultures of vigorous self-criticism; religious discourse is not. As a result, unwarranted religious beliefs still reign unchallenged in almost every society on earth—dividing humanity from itself, inflaming conflict, preventing wise public policy, and diverting scarce resources. One of the primary goals of The Reason Project is to change this increasingly unhealthy status quo.

We are always looking for creative ways to involve the community in our efforts. If you would like to contribute to the work of The Reason Project, please fill out a volunteer application. We encourage you to consider the work of The Reason Project your own.

this must be a message from GOD.

and the NEW disciples...... :p

as for the religions? well when common sense steps up and reminds the suiters, that we can read and observe th religions from all over the world in one domain of the internet

'we the people' can observe more knowledge than Moses, Jesus, Muhammad, Krishna, Buddha and all of the writers of the material COMBINED at our finger tips.

To realize with honesty that every word in existence was created by mankind, then the isolated minds of theology can awaken.

The kids will run you over if you don't!

The reason religions even exist is that every human being on earth wants to 'live' and be capable of understanding 'life'.

And guess what? The knowledge of mankind as a whole beats the pants off of any single sect of belief on earth!

Honesty and knowledge WILL WIN!

The oppressors will be extinct!

You religious quacks are the beast of selfish isolation (from God/the garden) as the monsters your religions are warning you about.

IN reality and in faith; it does NOT say it is OK to fib.....................EVER!

So let's see who wins, boys and girls!

:beach:

JamBar85

Master Designer
He's joking! He and Panda always bug each other about it being from England and Scotland. What's the difference! What part of "joking" don't you understand?

Ah right. Then ignore my previous comments. Joking is all good. Joke away good people.