• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's all just your imagination.

Mehr Licht

Ave Sophia
It was a nice day so I had to take a book with me and go for a walk in the park. I'm good at not running into obstacles or people while doing so. I took "The Way of Hermes, A New translation of the Corpus Hermeticum and The Defenitions of hermes Trismegistus to Asclepius." Came across this and it really captured my imagination. Something about this teaching just seems right intuitivly. Sort of like "oh yeah I knew that" type of thing:

This teaching also I shall fully expound to you, O Tat, so that you are not shut off from God who is too great for a name. Understand that what appears unmanifest to many will become most evident to you, for it would not exist if it were not manifest to you. Everything that is manifest has been brought into being; for it has been brought to light. However, the unmanifest exists always; it does not need to appear, for it exists always and it makes everything else manifest, though it itself is unmanifest since it always is. That which makes manifest is not itself made manifest, for it has not been brough forth. But it brings all images to the mind in imagination. Things that are begotten belong only to imagination. For imagination is nothing but begetting."

Marble

Rolling Marble
When we see our self, there is no world; and when we lose sight of the self, we get ourselves bound in the world.

The self is like a pearl. To find it you must dive deep down into silence, deeper and ever deeper until it is reached.
Sri Ramana Maharshi Quotes and Words of Wisdom

'That inner Self, as the primeval Spirit,

Eternal, ever effulgent, full and infinite Bliss,

Single, indivisible, whole and living,

Shines in everyone as the witnessing awareness.

That self in its splendour, shining in the cavity of the heart

This self is neither born nor dies,

Neither grows nor decays,

Nor does it suffer any change.

When a pot is broken, the space within it is not,

And similarly, when the body dies the Self in it remains eternal.​

no-body

Of course it is all a point of view, a change in consciousness. Imagination is just one way to put it.

We all share the same fate. Why go for quantity when it is clearly quality that is most important?

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
As Marble pointed out some quotes, this reminds me alot of some Buddhist philosophy, and some Hindu, like Advaita Vendanta. Interesting quote; thanks for sharing it. :)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Corpus Hermeticum... Corpus Hermeticum... *digs* Hah! I knew I had that somewhere in my files! It's not a grimoire I've gotten to reading yet. Along with several hundred other occult/esoteric PDFs I have. Too much to read, too little time. Do you have an ISBN for the particular version you have, Mehr? I'd be interested in perhaps poking a look at it, as there are many different translations of this particular work.

Mehr Licht

Ave Sophia
It was written in Alexandria Egypt sometime between the 1st and 3rd century. Around this same basic time St Clement of Alexandria was writting about two groups of Indian religious the Gymnosophists and Sramanas so they defenitily had some level of awareness of Indian thought. Seemed like rather vauge and general information though at least in Clements case. It's not impossible that there was some Buddhist influence but I wouldn't be suprised if it was based on the personal experience of the Hermetic adepts who simply verfied it first hand. Direct influence isn't necesarily required.

Last edited:

atropine

Somewhere Out There
"Understand that what appears unmanifest to many will become most evident to you, for it would not exist if it were not manifest to you. Everything that is manifest has been brought into being; for it has been brought to light."

That is just awesome. I have always been a big fan of the "if you think it's exists then it does exist even if it's just to you" sort of thing, and that seems to be what that says. Unless I'm reading it wrong, that is.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
reality is just an illusion generated by our mind

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Imagination is the problem solving part of your mind.

Not much you can do without it.