• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

it runs deep

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I'm sure there are ideologies that supported sexism and homophobia and anti democratic before religions came around.

1. democracy as we know it is rather young and not at all predates religion.

2. your way of reasoning reminds me of a scenario where someone gets accused of some crime and while in court, his main defense is "sure, I did all those things, but hey... those other guys do it to!" - as if that excuses him or as if that is a reason to let him go free and continue whatever it is he's doing.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I've heard a lot of people on here say that religion is the source of a lot of the problems in the world. Even if there were no religions ideology would be left and problems would still persist, no?

ie. If Christianity never emerged homosexuals still would've been persecuted through ideologies.

In my experience, religion is not the source of problems. People's interpretation of their religion and their judgments and actions based on these interpretations is the problem.

The problem comes down to people, not religion.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In my experience, religion is not the source of problems. People's interpretation of their religion and their judgments and actions based on these interpretations is the problem.

The problem comes down to people, not religion.
Religions will always be what people interpret them to be.
(How could religion possibly be anything else, eh.)
But I agree that personal characteristics will determine a
personal interpretation.
The problem stems from scripture which inspires violence
& oppression. If God, Allah, & others smite sinners & infidels
for acts that would otherwise be acceptable or de minimis,
then this results in evil, eg, murdering abortion providers,
executing blasphemers, enslaving infidels. Such cases
are created or exacerbated by religion.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I've heard a lot of people on here say that religion is the source of a lot of the problems in the world. Even if there were no religions ideology would be left and problems would still persist, no?

ie. If Christianity never emerged homosexuals still would've been persecuted through ideologies.

There has been much strife handed out in the name of religion, would there have been less without religion? I like to think so but an impossible question to answer.

Homosexuality was quite common (in varying degrees) before the christian clamp down, driving it underground. With other religions following suit. Now as the grip of religion is declining homosexuals have in the last few decades begun to feel less threatened and are overcoming the repression that was imposed on them.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

I disagree. Atheists have no major problems. Atheist friends never struggle with violence, racism, despair, addictions. Atheism has solved and will continue to solve all the world's major and minor problems.

King Phenomenon

I disagree. Atheists have no major problems. Atheist friends never struggle with violence, racism, despair, addictions. Atheism has solved and will continue to solve all the world's major and minor problems.
What are you talking about? I said religions. I didn't say anything about atheism. Oh do you mean that it's a religion? Calm down

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
You said it three times

Well, you keep repeating it.

I'm looking for the source of the problem

A book perceived to be from an all powerfull being, calling gays an abomination and commanding to have them killed, certainly counts as a source for homophobia, wouldn't you say? Especially when people believe it and bring that forward as being the reason and evidence for their homophobia.

King Phenomenon

Religion is only one possibility to exploit human stupidity. Ideology, patriotism or person cults can have the same effect. Religion just did it most successful. It not only exploits stupidity but promotes it at the same time,
Yeah but that doesn't answer my question

King Phenomenon

A book perceived to be from an all powerfull being, calling gays an abomination and commanding to have them killed, certainly counts as a source for homophobia, wouldn't you say? Especially when people believe it and bring that forward as being the reason and evidence for their homophobia.
Where did they get those ideas to put in the book

King Phenomenon

Never repeated it

King Phenomenon

They would've still been persecuted through ideologies if Christianity had never been born

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

Religion isn’t the source. Religion is the vehicle. Power is the source. People abuse religion to gain power.

Piculet

Yes. I doubt they'll ever stop blaming the Bible though. It is so handy to have someone or something specific to blame, isn't it?