• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Israel's next war - a long, informative, and disturbing opinion piece

j1i

Smiling is charity without giving money
Thanks for the finger-pointing. It always helps when you find fault with someone else without doing much research, completely change the subject just to criticize and when nobody can find out anything about you. If only people would criticize strangers more often! What a wonderful world this could be.

I do not say Israel is totally unjust
Israel is doing justice in which I do not say it is completely wrong
But there are abuses the United Nations condemns, not me
thank you my friend

I have very good and kind friends from Israel and my mother has an Israeli friend
I just participated honestly and spontaneously
take care dude
thanks

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
There is a new opinion piece in the Atlantic titled The Coming Middle East Conflagration. Its author is Michael Oren and his credentials are more than impressive.

The picture Oren paints is more than a little disturbing, but I'm even more disturbed by what I sense as the articles subtext, i.e., by the underlying intend of the article, which does not surface until the article's last paragraph:

The message seems pretty clear: IMPEACHMENT IS BAD FOR ISRAEL.

If this is, indeed, the intended message (and I could be way off base here), I doubt that the decision to disseminate such a caution originated with Oren, and I would not be surprised to find Netanyahu among those pulling the strings.

Interesting article. Really interesting.
Time poor, I'll try to add my thoughts later, but thanks for posting.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
There is a new opinion piece in the Atlantic titled The Coming Middle East Conflagration. Its author is Michael Oren and his credentials are more than impressive.

The picture Oren paints is more than a little disturbing, but I'm even more disturbed by what I sense as the articles subtext, i.e., by the underlying intend of the article, which does not surface until the article's last paragraph:

If this is, indeed, the intended message (and I could be way off base here), I doubt that the decision to disseminate such a caution originated with Oren, and I would not be surprised to find Netanyahu among those pulling the strings.

That's the way to sock it to those pesky Democrats...

Good-Ole-Rebel

The United States has come to a place where Israel can no longer depend, for a length of time, on her support. The U.S. is so divided that it all depends on who is in power now as to whether or not Israel is supported. On the liberal left you have socialtist's and muslims in power who are not just neutral to Israel but are anti-israel.

The picture is only going to get worse for both the U.S. and Israel. Though Israel would not like to admit it, the less Christian the U.S. becomes the less they can depend on her.

But, this is all necessary. I believe the U.S. has run her course as far as God's purpose is concerned. She has been a base for missionary activity toward the furtherance of the Gospel of Christ. And, she has been a nation of refuge for the Jews who did not have a place, a country.

But now, God's desire is moving towards the nation of Israel again. To fulfill His promises to her. But Israel must be brought back to the place where she turns to her God. And it will be through very difficult times that she will do that. But she will. But the U.S. must be removed as the power in the world because Israel will have the natural tendency to trust the U.S. and not God. She must turn back to God.

So, both U.S. and Israel have terrible times ahead. And Israel must turn back to the God of her Fathers. The God of Jesus Christ.

Good-Ole-Rebel

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Dunno if you're aware, but in my younger days I used to study a lot of military engagements. Over time that grew more into politics and leadership, but still...the various wars Israel fought in were very interesting to me in terms of strategy.

I think with that in mind, the article makes a couple of fairly simple points which hold true for me.

The IDF has always acted in decisive fashion when threatened. Historically, I think that's the only reason they've avoided destruction, to be honest.

They tread a line now, though, since...as the article articulates...it's entirely possible for enemies to strike, but for decisive countermeasures...or pre-emptive countermeasures...to generate condemnation internationally.

This has, over time, actually not led to major repurcussions. Condemnation is one thing, but the main source (overwhelmingly) of foreign military funding to Israel is the US and by and large they have not placed more prohibitive conditions on military funding over time.

However, if political conditions in the US substantially change...I'm thinking here not just Impeachment, but let's say the Dems win power, with a shift in aid policy at play...it could be a game changer.

It would embolden Iran, and from a military point of view they'd simply needle Israel via proxies. Israel responds in force and they have their cassus belli.

None of the candidates look to likely to remove support for Israel. Some might reduce funding though (Bernie Sanders) and I do worry about Netanyahu's brinksmanship style. It's kinda worked to now (in terms of aid continuing without too many conditions) but the personality of the US leadership is quite possibly about to drastically shift.

Still...I don't see America standing by if there's Iranian aggression. I just doubt the Iranians will be as ham-fisted and obvious as Arab intent in the 40's. Instead they'll use paramilitary forces they can 'plausibly deny'. It will make things murky, and I do agree with the article that any lack of clarity is to Israel's detriment.