• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Israel's Cabinet Just Advanced Full-fledged Apartheid in the West Bank

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This has come up on RF before and some seriously disagreed. This time it's a Haaretz "lead" editorial that echos what I've been thinking and provides detail about what is going on. Developments in Israel are to me a full fledged existential national crisis that also lines up with Israel's refusal to help Ukraine. If this goes on I expect more and more in the West to turn against Israel and Israel to join an alliance with Russia and China. Given how China treats Muslims an alliance is a natural thing for the Israel regime.

Under the thunderous bombardment of the government coup, the cabinet last week advanced a regime-change measure in the West Bank that carries dramatic implications.

Defense Minister Yoav Gallant signed an agreement assigning governmental powers in the West Bank to a body to be headed by the minister in his ministry, Bezalel Smotrich, and removing much of the jurisdiction of the Civil Administration from military command. Once the agreement is implemented, Smotrich will in effect become the governor of the West Bank, holding powers that will allow him to control nearly almost all areas of life there, including planning, building and infrastructure, which he intends to use to expand the settlement enterprise and stop all Palestinian development.

Israel has been carrying out de facto annexation in the West Bank for many years, with Israeli civilian authorities dictating the policy of the Civil Administration. All previous Israeli governments, however, have been cautious about interfering with the formal governing structure in the occupied West Bank and have been careful to keep the occupation as a military government.

The concentration of powers in an occupying military force, temporarily until an agreed solution is reached on the status of the occupied territory, is a principle of international law...

In legal terms, the assignment of governmental powers in the West Bank to its new civilian governor, particularly alongside the plan to expand the dual justice system, so that Israeli law will apply fully and directly to settlers in the West Bank and civilian Israeli authorities will wield direct governmental powers in the settlements – ...– constitutes de jure annexation of the West Bank. In light of the fact that there is no intention of granting civil rights to the millions of Palestinians living in the West Bank, the result of the agreement is a formal, full-fledged apartheid regime.

As if that were not enough, this severe breach of international law is taking place in the framework of a corrupt deal of powers in exchange for funding...The annexation agreement must not be executed.

The above article is Haaretz’s lead editorial, as published in the Hebrew and English newspapers in Israel.

rosends

This has come up on RF before and some seriously disagreed. This time it's a Haaretz "lead" editorial that echos what I've been thinking and provides detail about what is going on. Developments in Israel are to me a full fledged existential national crisis that also lines up with Israel's refusal to help Ukraine. If this goes on I expect more and more in the West to turn against Israel and Israel to join an alliance with Russia and China. Given how China treats Muslims an alliance is a natural thing for the Israel regime.

Under the thunderous bombardment of the government coup, the cabinet last week advanced a regime-change measure in the West Bank that carries dramatic implications.

Defense Minister Yoav Gallant signed an agreement assigning governmental powers in the West Bank to a body to be headed by the minister in his ministry, Bezalel Smotrich, and removing much of the jurisdiction of the Civil Administration from military command. Once the agreement is implemented, Smotrich will in effect become the governor of the West Bank, holding powers that will allow him to control nearly almost all areas of life there, including planning, building and infrastructure, which he intends to use to expand the settlement enterprise and stop all Palestinian development.

Israel has been carrying out de facto annexation in the West Bank for many years, with Israeli civilian authorities dictating the policy of the Civil Administration. All previous Israeli governments, however, have been cautious about interfering with the formal governing structure in the occupied West Bank and have been careful to keep the occupation as a military government.

The concentration of powers in an occupying military force, temporarily until an agreed solution is reached on the status of the occupied territory, is a principle of international law...

In legal terms, the assignment of governmental powers in the West Bank to its new civilian governor, particularly alongside the plan to expand the dual justice system, so that Israeli law will apply fully and directly to settlers in the West Bank and civilian Israeli authorities will wield direct governmental powers in the settlements – ...– constitutes de jure annexation of the West Bank. In light of the fact that there is no intention of granting civil rights to the millions of Palestinians living in the West Bank, the result of the agreement is a formal, full-fledged apartheid regime.

As if that were not enough, this severe breach of international law is taking place in the framework of a corrupt deal of powers in exchange for funding...The annexation agreement must not be executed.

The above article is Haaretz’s lead editorial, as published in the Hebrew and English newspapers in Israel.
there is so much wrong here, but I'm watching a Mets game so I will leave just one article for your perusal in response to your statement, "Israel's refusal to help Ukraine"

Israeli foreign minister promises Zelenskiy more aid, rebuilding help

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

rosends

Limiting aid to humanitarian and promises of rebuilding seem inadequate. Unless Ukraine wins, promising rebuilding is moot. But something beats nothing.
The claim was that Israel has refused to help. The article leads with "Israel will expand existing aid..." and indicates that there has already "humanitarian aid and protective gear". So what Israel hasn't given is military aid. Limiting a discussion of "aid" to military aid to misrepresent the truth seems rather myopic and selective, driven by an agenda of condemnation.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The claim was that Israel has refused to help. The article leads with "Israel will expand existing aid..." and indicates that there has already "humanitarian aid and protective gear". So what Israel hasn't given is military aid. Limiting a discussion of "aid" to military aid to misrepresent the truth seems rather myopic and selective, driven by an agenda of condemnation.
Aye, “refusal” is an aggressive word.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Focusing on the Ukraine reference rather than the body of the Haaretz quote strikes me as little more than a convenient deflection.

rosends

Focusing on the Ukraine reference rather than the body of the Haaretz quote strikes me as little more than a convenient deflection.
Well, there was a Mets game on. The Haaretz article is rife with other errors but I expect nothing more. Calling disputed territories "occupied" and misusing the term "apartheid" are both par for the course. But instead of tilting at the Haaretz windmill, it seems more useful to show that the framing voice is in error. Ignoring that is tantamount to acknowledging it as accurate. And it clearly isn't.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Calling disputed territories "occupied" and misusing the term "apartheid" are both par for the course.
If the shoe fits ...
... so, too, with calling what happened in Huwara a pogrom.

But, if you don't like Haaretz (or, for that matter, the Times of Israel) perhaps this from todays ynetnews.com will be deemed more kosher:

rosends

If the shoe fits ...
... so, too, with calling what happened in Huwara a pogrom.

But, if you don't like Haaretz (or, for that matter, the Times of Israel) perhaps this from todays ynetnews.com will be deemed more kosher:

Those are fine articles and yet none speaks of either occupation or apartheid. I don't recall saying anything about the violent and illegal riots by Israelis in Huwara, same as I didn't say anything about the cold blooded murder of the Yaniv brothers.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Those are fine articles and yet none speaks of either occupation or apartheid. I don't recall saying anything about the violent and illegal riots by Israelis in Huwara, same as I didn't say anything about the cold blooded murder of the Yaniv brothers.
Not do I.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
FWIW, I'm not in support of everything Israel is doing with the WB and Gaza.

That said, I also find claims of "apartheid" to be too narrowly focused, inaccurate, and unhelpful in general.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Refused to help with aid that would stop Russia from attacking civilian targets (Iron Dome).

I could/should have been more precise.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
But the main point about Israel's actions toward the Palestinians was what prompted me to create the thread.

idea

Question Everything
I have many international students in class. A favorite memory is coming to school on an American holiday - all the Americans were home, and only international students (who didn't celebrate that holiday) were there. When I walked into room, I saw my one Jewish student - who had served in Israeli military - had scars on his legs, had a little ptsd from past - anyways, usually he would sit on the opposite side of class from group of Muslim/ Palestinian students. This one night, they were the only ones to show up for class (optional review session), and when I walked in I found them sitting together, talking about the neighborhoods in Israel/Palestine they both knew - the markets that were segregated, and other markets that were mixed. They were smiling and laughing, so friendly with one another, happy to talk about their homeland.

Darn politicians. If neighbors could just get to know one another, sit down and talk with one another.

I've been to Israel/Palestine. Such a small country. You can stand in middle, see Mediterranean on one side, and border guard on other - so small you can see from one side to the other. Have to wear Canadian shirt - they don't like Americans there. If we could all just be people, no religion, no country, just people enjoying good food and music. Hate it when groups/politics/religion just ruins it all.

Last edited:

Ponder This

Hmm. Russia wants to annex Ukraine. China wants to annex Taiwan. Israel wants to annex Gaza and the West Bank. Yes?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hmm. Russia wants to annex Ukraine. China wants to annex Taiwan. Israel wants to annex Gaza and the West Bank. Yes?
Fans of each will justify conquest by saying theirs is different.
And they're right, even though all are the same.

pearl

“We, the presidents and rectors of the research universities in Israel, express deep concern about the division and polarization in Israeli society and processes that could lead to a real damage to the national strength and stability of the State of Israel,” they said in a statement. Netanyahu’s planned changes could lead to a “brain drain” in Israel and discourage international students, the statement added.

wellwisher

I am going to try to be delicate, so follow my logic. I have noticed a parallel between how Israel deals with its past and how it behaves in the present, and how the Democrat party in the USA, does the same thing, in terms of blacks and slavery. These two groups often to oppose each other, but they do the same thing; kettle calling the pot black.

Slavery in America, is seen as a dark time as was the Holocaust. To compensate for the suffering of slavery, dual standards have formed, where only Whites can now be calked racist, while Blacks, doing the exact same things, are not considered racist, by a dual standard Lefty definition. A dual standard appears ro forms, so the over dog is always racist, but the same behavior by the under dog, is not racist. This is sort of designed to compensate of the past.

This also appears to apply to Israel. The Holocaust was a very dark time. So there is a dual standard of sorts, where If Israel suppresses a minority, iit s not considered suppression, since Israel assumes it can follow the dual standard, based on making up for its dark past of tragedy. If you speak out against Israel, too much, you will be labelled antisemitic, even for intellectual curiosity and reasonable points. One is not supposed to reason, based on a single justice standard for all. But rather you need to follow the dual standard for Israel.

Say we extrapolate this to the future. There comes a time, decades in the future, when Israel is stable and peaceful. Since the Palestinians have been the oppressed, by the single standard they had to live by, do they then get to have the dual standard in the future, to make up for decades of being oppressed? This is when they can do wrong, and still do no wrong. People can only unite if we all have one standard, so we can all see the same things, and obey the same rules like one people.

pearl

JERUSALEM — Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu agreed Monday evening to pause a divisive plan to overhaul the country’s judicial system until the next parliament session, according to a statement from one of the coalition partner parties, following widespread unrest in Israel.